shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Camera Question

Camera Question

I know a lot of you do professional photos and a lot of you take awesome photos. DH just bought a new "toy" a 2007 Can-am 4 wheeler, SO I get a new camera!!! LOL I am not a professional but I take a LOT of photos of my kids. I am looking for a good digital camera to use in all situations....school concerts, church activities, outdoors, and especially sports. DS is in Basketball, Football, and Track and DD is in Wrestling. I am looking at the following cameras:
    Nikon D80
    Sony Cybershot DSC-R1
    Canon EDS 350D/Digital Rebel XT

Which do you think in the best camera??

ANY input or advice would be appreciated including other cameras if any others are out there!!

THANKS!!

What kind of camera do you have now? Also what do you want in a camera?

I have a Kodak Easy Share C340......just a basic digital!! LOL

I just want a SIMPLE point and shoot but a camera that will also take low light action photos.

My stepmom has a Sony DSC-H5 that I really like too.

Brandi, we use the nikon D70s and D200 at our photo studio. I have *heard* that the D80 is the same as the D200 except that the body is plastic instead of metal and much lighter.

We have been very happy with our nikons. All of the professional digi cameras we have had so far we have HAD to use the raw format to shoot, because shooting jpeg made the photos look very bad. We are actually shooting jpeg most of the time now that we have the nikons and are VERY happy with the results.

HTH

You need to weigh your options. If you want something that can shoot in low light or action photos you are going to want an SLR camera. I have yet to see a simple point and shoot do either. They have a delay between click and the shutter responding and well you can only get in such a low amount of light with the lens on the point and shoots. It will take you a bit of time to adjust to an SLR but the results are worth the time spent learning. What I mean by learning is taking it out of auto. You can keep it in auto and it will react the same as a point and shoot so no fear of not being able to take photos till you learn. I prefer the canon brand and some prefer the nikon. They are head to head with one another so if you do chose to go with and SLR go to a camera store and check them both out and go for which one feel better in your hands. Either way either choice you can't lose :)

I really don't want to have to deal with buying lenses. I have a Minolta 35mm that I have 4 different lenses for. I LOVE this camera but the lenses are SO expensive (and it is not digital).

I have been able to take awesome photos in midday light with my Kodak Easy Share C340. I am just looking at getting better photos in like an auditorium and at concerts where the lighting is dim. Here is one action shot that I took with my cheapy camera.
    http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com...500&ppuser=912

You might want to look into Sony's DSLR's they have the A100 which makes use of the Minolta lenses. An excerpt for DPreview:

Sony Alpha lens mount
    Identical to the Minolta A-type bayonet mount, enabling the use of a large back catalogue of existing Minolta and third party lenses as well as avoiding the development of a whole new system. Interestingly only four of the new lenses introduced are designed for an APS imaging circle.

So my lenses would be adaptable to the A100??? Because that is another one that I was looking at.

As long as your lenses have the A type mount they will.