shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: How do I take good firework photos ...??

Question How do I take good firework photos ...??

Ok ... I'm a real newbie at photography ... the really good photography that is. I can shoot n point with the best of them but when it comes down to knowing how to take certain photos I'm a numpty.

Sooooo .... anyone out there willing to spill the beans and let us know how to take those amazing firework shots.

I don't have a DSLR but I do have a Canon S3i so can do manual stuff to a point.

Thanky

P.S. I just don't want to be jealous of all those wonderful photos that will be showing up over the next few days.
    Sue xx
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present - Oogway [Kung Fu Panda]

Wwell..I am not sure about your camera. I have a DSLR and I would use a slow shutter speed to catch the fireworks at their greatest. If you can adjust the speed...make it slow. A steady hand is also a great way to catch any shot!
    Sheila

I can adjust shutter speed, f-stops n such so will give that a try and see what I come out with. Thanky very much.
    Sue xx
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present - Oogway [Kung Fu Panda]

4. A tripod is nearly essential to get a good crisp firework shot...so I've heard
    :-). I'm always keeping track of too many kids to be able to try it....maybe someday.

The lower f/stop will be the best..usually 1/8 through 1/12. This will allow more light to get in to the frame. A tripod is best since the shuter speed is going to be slow so it will take longer to get that picture. Take alot...only half will be the way you want them !

I agree, I have seen some of the amazing photos people captured and I am jealous. I tried getting some pics but didn't have much luck, even though my Olympus FE-210 has a setting to use just for fireworks. I think the trick is definitely the tripod. I couldn't hold my camera still enough for the amount of time the shutter speed required.

Well we didn't get much chance to get the photos .... for some reason Amy got quite ajitated when we went outside to look at them. I think last year the foreworks were at least a block away .... this time they were next door. Bless her, we went back in doors and watched from the window where she was content. I think it was the noise more than anything. She hates loud noises ever since she was a little baby.
    Sue xx