shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What books do you read??

What books do you read??

Hi! I'm somewhat new to this site and was wondering if y'all have a book club thread somewhere that I'm not finding??? I love to read (when I'm not scrapping!!) so I run out of good ideas quite often!

I like many types of books, mysteries, thrillers, horror, suspense, but also historical fiction, some fantasy, some science fiction. Of course I love the Harry Potter books so someone suggested the Twilight series. I'm doing that now, and it is pretty good for a fun, light read.

So, what are some of your favs?? Any good suggestions??

LisasMom on GDS, PhilsMom on Hello, JakesNana on Photobucket, Vicki in *real* life!!

I love to read too! My fav author at the momet is Jjodi Picoullt! Have read almost everythting she has written--All have some type of 'figure it out' them going on--not really a mystery, but usually a twist in the plot! Suggest "my sister's keepr, 19 minutes, the tenth circle. but really I like all of her stuff.

I love the authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs. The write together and their books at very fun. I would also recommend the young adult trilogy The Midnighters. I love those.
    Larisa ~ Garden Girl Designs

Designing For:

Grab my blinkie!

I love Preston and Childs!!! I've read everything of theirs at least once, some more. I just finished listening to Blasphemy by Douglas Preston from the audio library. It was great too. Greg Iles is another good one like them. His Footprints of God was just super fantastic! These last two have touches of Steven Hawking in them - they use the actual theories from physics and cosmology and *jazz* them up a bit. Ends up very interesting, surely more than a simple whodunit!

LisasMom on GDS, PhilsMom on Hello, JakesNana on Photobucket, Vicki in *real* life!!

5. A great book for book lovers is Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman. If you're a book nerd, you'll love it!

Another of my favorites is Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn, just for its word acrobatics. During the course of the book, different letters are banned, until at the end there are only five left. It's also a fun story.

A young adult author I like is Shannon Hale. She does fairy-tale-like stories, and I just love them, especially The Goose Girl.
    Mrs. Mordecai @ Be It Ever So Humble

Preston and Childs' Agent Pendergast is one of my all time favorite characters!! And I'm waiting anxiously for the next in the Twilight series. I'm reading Dean Koontz' Odd Hours right now but don't like it as well as I did all the other Odd Thomas series. Christine Feehan is one of my favorite authors in the supernatural romance genre. I like all 3 of her Series, but I think my favorite is the Dark Series. And come Aug 5th, I'm rushing to the store to get Acher, Sherilynn Kenyon's new book!

I'll have to check out Christine Feehan and Sherilynn Kenyon. I just finished listening to Brother Odd and just got the book Odd Hours from reserve from the library. I listen to a lot of books from the audio library while I am scrapping or doing other things on my computer. Some books I enjoy so much more this way, mostly because of the reader's voice. I'm listening to the Twilight series now and just love that reader's inflections and expressions. She really makes the books come alive. Another series I loved listening to was the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. I love the reader's English accent!! Its about English Egyptologists at the beginning of the 1900s and they are always involved in some sort of murder or conspiracy mystery. Amelia is very *proper* but a little revolutionary also. Lots of archaeology type things thrown in, travel, history, a little of everything - oh and of course, romance and suspense!

Amelia Peabody sounds like my type of book. I wanted to be an archaeologist. Didn't get there but love the movies. LOL! I'll have to check into her before going on vacation this weekend. And I, too, like to listen to audiobooks. I download them from itunes onto my ipod so I can listen to them in the car or in the DR's office or at the pool. The teens around me probably think I'm listening to some "cool" music. Little do they know. LOL! And the Dark Series by Christinee Feehan is just coming out on audiobooks in the last year or so. Be sure to read them in order starting with Dark Prince. They all play off each other. The characters stay with the series all the way through so you really become part of the "family".
    Last edited by O2BNGdHope; 07-02-2008 at 10:49 AM.

I just found this thread! I love to read too. I will have to try some of your favorite authors. I like Elizabeth Peters too!
    I also enjoy suspense books by Mary Higgins Clark, mystery by Agatha Christie, and relaxing lightly romantic novels by Dee Henderson or Lori Wick. Dee Henderson's O'Malley series is about a group of orphans who have banded together and become a family (they are adults in the books).

I am reading all the time as well. I usually have 4 books on the go. I love mystery, legal thrillers (so anything by John Grisham), historical novels so the John Jakes series...reading Charleston right now, any True Crime books, esp. Ann Rule, finished one on the weekend. I just read My Sister's Keeper and enjoyed that as well.
    I haven't tried the audio books, by that sounds like a cool idea too.