shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Embossed Dates

1. Embossed Dates

Okay ladies, spill, what's the secret to this trick? I have emboss features but I've seen around (Elaine, CharliesNana) where the dates look like they're coming from the paper. I played and played last night and couldn't get that effect. So how do you all make it look like it's embossed into the paper versus embossed on top of the paper? What colors do you use? I like that it helps add the date but isn't in your face.
    *Wen*

2. Wen, I use Paint Shop Pro. There may be other ways to do this but the way that works for me ... get on the layer of paper you want your embossed lettering to be. Usually for me this is the bottom layer. Select your font ... choose "selection" rather than "vector" or "floating" ... choose font size ... Put your cursor right where you want your lettering and type your words ...I have found that there is no moving it after you apply. There may be a way, but I haven't found it. (I wind up re-doing sometimes to get it in the exact place I want). When you "apply" you get dancing ants around your letters. Then choose Effects>3D Effects> Inner Bevel and apply the bevel of your choice and tell it okay. Do Selections > Select None to get rid of the marching ants and
    WA LAH ... you have your words embosed in the background. Only thing is, you cannot move it. It is now a part of that layer. So I always save it for the last thing to apply in a layout.

Hope I haven't totally confused things or skipped anything. I'll answer any questions if I can.

3. Thank you! I use PSP too so I get what you're saying. Sounds a lot simpler then what I was trying. Going to give it a whirl on my next LO. Thanks again!
    *Wen*

cool, I use psp also...I'll have to try it out as well!
    Anita
    mom to Katie and Lizzie

Hi Ladies
    I use Photo Shop Elements CS3, there are so many ways in that program that you can make your font work into the paper. I use my bevel and emboss which is in my layers and then under layer styles, I don't think I ever use the same thing twice, I just play around with the depth, size and direction and then add in my shadow, or glow and play with the distance, spread and size. I have a pillow emboss feature that makes it look like your font is into the paper rather than on top of it. I know when I had 4.0 I just had to take what was in the program. With CS3 I can play with the angle direction and the opacity of my drop shadows. I think I have saved close to 200 styles, some I've used a number of times and others only once. Another thing when I open my font I go to the paint pallet and with the eye dropper pick a color on my layout to use with the font. Something I didn't even know about until I took Andrea's Beginner class for CS2. She also showed how to play with the bevels, shadows, contours a very informative class, would recommend it to anyone.
    Elaine My Blog
    \

6. Thanks to all who responded. I did it WOO HOO! I've been playing around for days. I would have saved so much time by just asking, lol!
    *Wen*

7. I am glad you asked b/c I am just getting started and this is a very cool thing to know!