shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound?

Sound?

Where did it go? The sound on my laptop is gone missing. Any quick solutions that you can think of? I've been fiddling in the control panel but nothing is bringing back the bells and whistles..
    Looks like I am going to be computerless sometime this week...that does sound so painful. But have to get both the pc and laptop in before one year warranty expires.

Kathy

any chance the mute button is one? with my new laptop simply adjusting the volume doesn't take it off mute...I couldn't figure out at first why my volume wouldn't adjust ooops!

hope it's something simple!
    Anita
    mom to Katie and Lizzie

Not that as far as I can see...but you gave me an idea...maybe the mute key is on but the red light isn't showing up. Will check that.

Kathy

Were you able to get it working again? If you go to the Start menu and control panel, you should see an icon for Sounds and Audio Devices. Open that and you should be able to adjust the settings to make it work again. (You may have to click on the Advanced button to see these settings). I know if the balance is set really low, it doesn't matter how loud you turn up the volume, it just won't work.

Thanks. And I did that. Nothing. :(

Kathy

from your control panel, click on system (are you using Vista or xp?) If xp hubby has this idea..from system, then look under tab called hardware , then go device manager, that will open up a list of hardware on your system...it anything is having a problem it should show up with an exclamation point or a red x ..something next to it...you'll have to right click on that and look at properties .. there will be a device status..should say this device is working properly if you're having problems with this device click troubleshoot to start troubleshooter...
    that's one place to look...

see if this helps...and let me know...hubby is good at helping with this kind of stuff if that doesn't help....
    Anita
    mom to Katie and Lizzie

wow, thanks Anita for writing all that out...so appreciated. I will try this tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by KattyZak View Post
    wow, thanks Anita for writing all that out...so appreciated. I will try this tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
    your welcome..hope it helps..if not hubby said he'd think of other things that could be causing the problem....he had a similar problem last year after an upgrade of some sort....have you done installed anything new lately?
    Anita
    mom to Katie and Lizzie

No.
    Happened overnight.
    I swear we have gremlins come out.
    We just are very hard on computers.
    Here's a question for you [or for hubby]. My laptop died Labor Day 2006. Brought it back to retailer where it got shipped off...many weeks later, we were told there was water on the keyboard...I was like WTH. It had been down at the lake that weekend and I didn't recall that but I do have teens so who knows.
    I've always been curious if I could have concocted another keyboard to it.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by anitastreet View Post
    from your control panel, click on system (are you using Vista or xp?) If xp hubby has this idea..from system, then look under tab called hardware , then go device manager, that will open up a list of hardware on your system...it anything is having a problem it should show up with an exclamation point or a red x ..something next to it...you'll have to right click on that and look at properties .. there will be a device status..should say this device is working properly if you're having problems with this device click troubleshoot to start troubleshooter...
    that's one place to look...

see if this helps...and let me know...hubby is good at helping with this kind of stuff if that doesn't help....
    No red x or exclamation...just a plus sign.
    On XP, went to my computer>hardware>device manager.
    Thanks nontheless.

Kathy