shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your Holiday Traditions?

What are your Holiday Traditions?

Well what can I say..... after years of hoping that the day would come when everyone wouldn't try to control our Holiday Season this year it has come! I have longed for the opportunity to simply stay home on Christmas Day and not have to run all over the state to visit everyone. Not that I don't want to see family....b/c I will be doing that as we're all celebrating days befor or after Christmas Day. I remeber growing up and all we wanted to do on Chirstmas Day is stay in and play w/ our new goodies and I want my boys to be able to experience this too!

Now that my wish has come true and I don't have to rush around, I feel like I can finally start new traditions w/ my DH and kids. The funny thing is I have no idea what to do or what traditions I would like to start. I was sort of hoping you would all use this forum to share your holiday traditions and plans. What type of things do you do w/ your families each year? What have become some of the most cherished and looked forward things you do during the holidays?

This is really my first year that I can do whatever I want and while I'm totally stoked about it, I'm already asking myself....OMG, what am I going to do!

All this freedom!! Ok... I'm anxiously awaiting to hear all of your traditions and plans! In the mean time, I'm off to search the web to see if I can find some recipes so I can make my FIRST attempt at cooking Christmas Dinner!!!

Hugs,
    Theresa

We usually start Christmas morning with fresh baked hot cinnomon rolls and coffee (tea for me). Then the kids get to open presents (mine are older and can wait a few minutes). The year we dont have the kids for Christmas morning ( being divorced we rotate the kids for holidays, but we always have them either Christmas eve or Christmas day) we open them as soon as they hit the door lol. Usually we spend Christmas eve with my sister and her family along with our parents and Christmas day we have here with sis and parents also. There are only my sister and I and we live very close to our parents. Johns family dont do much at all.

The 1st year my DD was born we were like you, Theresa, running all over and it was crazy. The next year we stayed home on Christmas Day and have ever since with no company. It was really cool when they were younger so that they could play with their toys all day...it still is cool but now its all about the electronics. Wanted to start going to a movie as a family on that day but that hasn't been a hit yet.
    We have no tradtions as far as food. Have tried prime rib, shrimp and lobster dinner, roast...

Kathy

I can understand where you are coming from Theresa, I actually dreaded the holidays because my girls never got to stay home and play with new things until my in-laws moved to Florida (we were living in NY then), after that we changed all the rules. My parents lived two hours from us so we would go up there to spend the day before Christmas Eve and part of Christmas Eve with them, we then were able to stay home on Christmas Day. My husbands Grandmother was still living then so we did one Christmas Eve with her and the next with my family. The tension of what and where to go on Christmas Day was over. We now all go up to VA to Michelle and Todd's, she was smart and made the rule when Madeline was born that they would never leave home on Christmas, both Todd's family and our family is now together for Christmas, the new tradition is watching Madeline open the mounds of gifts that she gets.
    Elaine My Blog
    \

We're in the same boat Theresa .. it's so hard to please everyone come holiday time, but we sure try our hardest. Unfortunately it usually means lots of time spent in the car going from house to house. I think we are trying to start the tradition that we stay home Christmas Eve/Morning and let grandparents come to us - it has been the other way around up until now, but I would like my kids to wake up at home to see what Santa brings!

This was the routine we had growing up: after the Christmas Eve candlelight service at church, we each got to choose one present to open. Then Christmas morning we would open the goodies left in our stocking from Santa. After breakfast (and showers and fresh clothes, per my mom's request) my little sister would play Santa and pass out everyone's gifts, then we'd take turns opening them. My Dad's birthday is Christmas day, so after the big meal, we have a bday party and a chocolate cake. Lately we've been going to see a movie on Christmas day - not sure if that was intended to become a tradition or not!

Our christmas traditions are a bit different from yours. Growing up, we always decorated the christmas tree on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, then we were banned from the living room until dinner. We ate and then the presents were opened (yes, all of them - that's the way we do this in Germany). When we were younger, we opened the presents before dinner. We always have the same food on Christmas Eve, it's a traditional northern german dish.
    We then had time to play with our gifts and then off to bed. The next two days were spent in peace and quiet.
    My whole family was living 4 hours away so my Mom decided they could very well join us if they wanted to but we stayed home. My grandparents usually came to visit us.

Now that we have children, we decided in the very first year that we would stay home on Christmas Eve no matter what. Everyone is welcome to our house, we have a big family dinner and presents afterwards. But this way it is much more comfortable for the kids.
    On Christmas Day we usually visit my MIL as she does not want to leave the house on Christmas Eve. We spent the day there and whoever wants to come from her kids (my DH has 2 brothers and 1 sister) is welcome to join.
    The next day is usually again at our house, eating all the leftovers... - and again, everyone is welcome.

I rather have a house full of guests (who are all helping setting up dinner and cleaning up afterwards) then rush from one place to another in order to satisfy the whole family.

Theresa, here is a blog with a Thanksgiving Dinner. Keep your eye on it and she might do a holiday dinner, too. http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/

Kathy

Kathy, this website is perfect!!! It has step by step instructions with pictures i might add and a little bit of humor!! What more can a girl ask for! It's perfect for me! Thanks so much for sharing this with me!!!

Big Hugs!

Quote Originally Posted by KattyZak View Post
    Theresa, here is a blog with a Thanksgiving Dinner. Keep your eye on it and she might do a holiday dinner, too. http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/

Hugs,
    Theresa

Wow Kathy what a site, even after my years of cooking I still love getting new tips, and there was one I never heard of, using cream cheese in your mashed potatoes who would've thought, I do use half and half but will now have to try the cream cheese. I'm adding the link to my cooking files.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KattyZak View Post
    Elaine My Blog
    \