shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its Going Down

Its Going Down

My computer that is. Why is that? I love computers but between my family and me we sure know how to abuse them evidently for all the issues we have.
    According to the Geek Squad I most likely fried all of my USB ports by not properly shutting down my EHD. Isn't that wonderful? I wonder why that isn't general knowledge about EHD's.
    So, yesterday I bought another 30 DVD's to back up all my photos and digi stuff. Backing up is not my favorite thing to do but there's a good chance my pc is taking a road trip and there will be no guarantees.
    I have yet to organize my digi stuff or photos for that matter and was thinking I would just back up and worry about the organizing once I get pc back. Any thoughts on that?
    How about fonts? Can I back those up?
    My old pc is still sitting here with 1,000's of pics waiting to be transferred...and thats where the EHD comes in...but because there is 4 users accounts on that pc...each user copies over the other user....so, I need to figure that out, too...I've got a couple ideas on how to fix that but wondering if you have any thoughts? That pc has a broken CD tray, won't write. I keep putting this all on the back burner because I get hung up.
    Ok, enuough ramblin'

Kathy

I store everything on an EHD and cross my fingers that it doesn't crash. I know I don't have the patience to constantly burn files to dvd ... I know I should tho. I do have a Picasa account - they're free unless you need extra storage - and I upload every photo I have fine tuned and every finished layout so that no matter what happens to my EHD and/or computer, those will forever be in cyberspace for me to download. That extra added security makes me rest easier :-) Someone out there needs to invent an easy solution.

I have everything on my home computer and a back up on my EHD to use with my laptop or if my main computer crashes. I have my own computers...DH and the kids have their own. Yes I have 6 computers in the house. NO ONE touches mine lol. I hope your able to save all your files.

Quote Originally Posted by lillypug34 View Post
    I store everything on an EHD and cross my fingers that it doesn't crash. I know I don't have the patience to constantly burn files to dvd ... I know I should tho. I do have a Picasa account - they're free unless you need extra storage - and I upload every photo I have fine tuned and every finished layout so that no matter what happens to my EHD and/or computer, those will forever be in cyberspace for me to download. That extra added security makes me rest easier :-) Someone out there needs to invent an easy solution.

Amen Sister!! Someone does need to invent an easier solution!

good you have another back up too..cuz my ehd crashed in early summer and I lost everything from on that thing..still hoping to somehow get it all back

EHD's...love them and hate them. Imagine if you had several like me! I use the little ones though that don't take an external power source. They just have two usb plugs. They've been really reliable for me. I'm looking forward to the blueray/HD. DVD's take so much time! What's a scrapping girl to do???

I'll have to upload to picasa online...forgot about that.
    Everytime I get a new computer, I think it will be mine, but it never happens, the old computer always starts breaking down and everyone wants to be on the newest one.

Kathy

I recently had a scare thinking that my hard drive was dying... I quickly just backed everything up on my EHD, then I realized it was just the fan making weird noises (whew!). Now I have a jumbled mess of things just stuck on there since I was praying to get it backed up before it crashed. If anyone has good organizing tips, I'm all ears! I'll have to check out that picasa thing. Never heard of that...

Anyway, I hope you're able to get everything backed up. Not a fun job, but good luck with it!

Good Luck on backing everything up!

We have 7 desktops & 1 laptop at our house. I back up to an EHD and store all the original zip files on the EHD. I PLAN on burning all the zips to DVD but haven't gotten around to it yet. I back up the photos by year to DVD in addition to the EHD.

I lost ALL of our photos prior to the middle of 2003 due to a system crash so I'm a little more careful now.

AND NO ONE is allowed to use MY pc!

9. All this talk is scaring me!!!! Haunted houses are one thing, but computer crashes is far more frightening!

I'm totally unprepared for an event like that. It is too hard for me to upload to something like Picassa (I can download quickly, but to upload takes forever on my satellite internet).

Been wanting an EHD, but wondering now if it is worth the money. Burning everything to DVD is so time consuming. AND....I have had DVD's and CD's that once burned quit working!! What then?

Anyone with any connections to a Geek Squad person that can give us some (time saving) tips?????

Ladies, take it from somebody that has computers crash twice in less than 12 months. I lost everything in November 2006, and got a new computer then. Thinking that my new computer would last me for a while, I didn't back anything up, and my new computer crashed in Sept 2007 and I lost everyting again..shame on me!!! Well I shouldn't say everything everything, but at least three months worth of stuff, got a little relaxed there for a couple of months. You just never know when it's going to happen. I have a new computer again (crossing my fingers again) but now I'm so paranoid, I back-up at least once a week. Either on CD, or uploading to the Net.

Addie
    Last edited by Coolscrapbook; 10-20-2007 at 08:43 PM.