shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: NSBR: First rule of parenting...

NSBR: First rule of parenting...

Ok well maybe not this isn't the first rule of parenting per se but it is for survival of parenting!

So my hubby was out of town for the weekend and I braced for what I knew was going to be a stressful time since we had baseball practices friday night and saturday (all 3 of my boys are in baseball this year) and a birthday party saturday which of course I wasn't smart enough to think to go shopping for earlier in the week. So here comes friday night after practice and I proceed to brave Target all by my lonesome with my boys. Of course they inspected every single toy on every single aisle (yes even the girly aisles) and had to ask "can I have this mommy?"...! We were in there for more than 2 hours! Just shoot me now! Ok, got that behind us, have presents...check that one off the list!

Here comes saturday. Hubby is manager for my youngest son's team and so me, being the manager's wife, decided to help because NO OTHER parent was helping the poor assistant coach teach 10 4-5 years olds. FUN! All the while I had to keep a close eye on my two older sons who didn't have their practice yet and were goofing off being the kids that they are !

Ok, done with practice and I have a little time to rest before the birthday party! Wahoo! The party is a pool party. We're off to the party and I'm so thrilled to realize that we don't have a ring for my 4yr old to wear. It's what he feels comfortable with and us as parents. It dawns on me that I now have to bring the boys into another store! UGH UGH UGH! So here I am sitting at this light in a place in town I'm unfamiliar with and I see a fork in the road....On the opposite corner of the cross street is a drug store which means I have to go up the road, do a uturn and will have to do another uturn once we get of of there. On the same side of the street as I'm heading, I see a Walmart. Wanna know what I chose..........ROFL! The drug store...no way was I going into Walmart with my boys...we would never LEAVE! So that's my survival story....for my sanity and survival I chose the drug store over walmart....!

Anyway, just thought I'd share this funny tale with you! What stories have you to share?
    Last edited by HollyS; 09-24-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Hmmmmm . . . . How about DS's failed attempt at hypnotizing me in a sneaky attempt to get his daily TV time upped?

(Him) "When you awake, I will get one HOUR of TV time a day. Awake!"

(Him) "Mom, can I go watch TV for an hour?"

(Me) "You can watch 15 minutes of TV."

(Him) "You mean 15 minutes plus my 30 minutes, right?"

(Me) "No, 15 minutes, and if you ask again, it'll be no minutes."

(Him) "No FAIR!"

It's not a good idea to mess with a cranky mother after a bad day at work.
    Paige

3. Heck yeah, pick the drug store! Sometimes I even buy dinner at the drug store to avoid lugging all the kids through the grocery store. Hmmmm, looks like mac and cheese AGAIN...

I'm with ya on choosing the store with the fewer aisles. I know how you feel about shopping with all the kiddos, when DH isn't there! :/
    but right now my 3yo boy is IN LOVE with all the Halloween stuff at Walgreens, and asks to see "the monsters" as soon as he realizes what store we're at.
    I always try to have 4-5 different presents on hand, for the boys' age groups, so that we have a present at a moment's notice.
    Other than that, I just tell the boys we have enough money for what's on the list, and nothing else. :)
    ~~Julie P.~~

I used do to what you do, Julie, too, as shopping is typically a 20 minute jaunt. Now that they are older the birthday parties have slowed down. When they do go it is money.
    But your story is funny...how I remember those days but with only two.