shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Calling All Scanner Queens

Calling All Scanner Queens

I do very little scanning. Probably because until a week or so ago, I didn't have one plugged in. When I rearranged the office quite some time ago, I thought it was broken, but it was unplugged...well, we left it unplugged and now have a new computer.
    Now we got all in one printer/scanner, etc. Its a Photosmart Premier.
    And I am not happy with the results. Too grainy. Printed fabric looks blurry.
    What setting should I be playing with?
    DPI? 300? 4800? Sharpness? Contrast?
    Or do I just have a crappy scanner?

UGH - try scanning the photo in at 300 dpi on your scanner. After uploading it you'll still probably have to use unsharp mask or other filters to reduce the dust and speckles and noise - that stuff is on photos especially older ones.

hope this helps

We do not stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing.

OK.
    I thought it might be 300.
    Photo doesn't seem that old but yet it does seem dusty/grainy.
    I bribed DD's BF to scan at his house w/BK treats, but still grainy.
    I'll keep playing but right now I am going to go golfing.

Thanks Helen.

Do you think the quality is based on the scanner at all? I never could get it right and this was a good photo. DH bought a all in one, but it is a photo premier all in one, but maybe the scanner is not so good. Curious.

Yes, the quality of the scanner will make a big difference! I used to have an HP all-in-one and never got what I considered to be a decent scan - particularly of photographs.

So, when I needed a new printer, I bought individual scanner and printer - epson this time and I am sooooo happy with the quality of the scans - even using the same settings as on my old one.

I am not familiar with your scanner/printer, but they do vary in the resolution they scan at. I know that the difference in scanning resolutions between my old and new one are very different (can't remember what the specs were off-hand, but were very different)

i don't know if other will agree, but flat bed scanners are difficult to get a good scan with, for me. The bed gets dusty and it is nearly impossible to get every little speck off, but thela always show on the scan. i have a mobile scanner that i prefer to use. You juse feed your sheets in one at a time, it is very fast, too.
    AmyLeigh

I have to say that if you are getting a bad scan, it's probably your scanner. I have an HP all in one and the scans always come out beautiful at 300 dpi. I've never had to adjust it or anything.

Interesting, Andrea, because that's the kind he bought, the HP Photo Premier. Maybe I will go to Best Buy and ask.

I have a flat bed epson, that I love.
    I always use the canned air and give it a blast before scanning.
    But it does sound like the scanner is off.