shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Saving Templates

1. Saving Templates

I have some templates that I'd like to share with the community, but can't figure out how to save them small enough to make them feasible for people to use.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Hi - not sure if this will help - but when I gave some freebie templates out here - I tried to put the PSD format in one zip and the png formats in a separate zip file. And mark them that way - so that people can download only the ones they need - some may downlod both if they have both kinds of software and use both - otherwise, folks usually pick the psd format zip or the png format zip.

As for 12x12 or square pages, I have gotten some freebies where the files were saved as 8x8 size - to save on file space - and all I had to do was to increase the image size to 12x12 and didn't lose any quality with the template layers).

Hope this helps. Maybe there are other tricks out there I don't know about.
    And they'll let us both know what they do to keep file sizes down.

We do not stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing.

Make sure you are using RGB and not CMYK color mode. CMYK takes up a lot more space. Also, make sure you crop it because you can have shapes that hang off the canvas, but they are still there and taking up memory space. Select->all, then Image->crop in Photoshop. Use the "Crop image to canvas" command in PSP. Generally, the fewer shades of gray you use the smaller the file too. Most of my template zips are under 10 MB with both 12x12, 8.5x11 and then PNGs...all in one zip, which is an acceptable size with most of the high speed Internet around. The ones that incude overlays or patterns usually take up about twice the space or more. Hope that helps!

4. Great tips, thank you:)
    Ila

Spending time is inevitable.
    You're going to spend your time doing something.
    It might as well be something you want to do.
    ~ Peter McWilliams

Quote Originally Posted by goldscraps View Post
    Make sure you are using RGB and not CMYK color mode. CMYK takes up a lot more space. Also, make sure you crop it because you can have shapes that hang off the canvas, but they are still there and taking up memory space. Select->all, then Image->crop in Photoshop. Use the "Crop image to canvas" command in PSP. Generally, the fewer shades of gray you use the smaller the file too. Most of my template zips are under 10 MB with both 12x12, 8.5x11 and then PNGs...all in one zip, which is an acceptable size with most of the high speed Internet around. The ones that incude overlays or patterns usually take up about twice the space or more. Hope that helps!
    I know what you mean about the bits hanging off the side and you forget that its there. I often crop now that I figured that out.
    Phoenix aka Melissa - SAHM of Shania (13) and Jordan (10)