shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Saving Kits in PSE Organizer

Saving Kits in PSE Organizer

I hope someone can help me.

I have just started putting my thousands of digi elements into my PSE10 organizer. I have learned about the categories and tags but I am wondering what the trick is to put all elements of a kit together so you can search for them all to come up when you need them?

SO far I have just tagged a few as kits but they will still be in with all other kits.

Please help as I can't continue until I learn this.

Thank you to anyone with a solution.
    Brenda

2. Hi Brenda,
    I dont use elements, but can you add a tag with the name of the kit. Which should then pull up everything tagged with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Maree View Post
    Hi Brenda,
    I dont use elements, but can you add a tag with the name of the kit. Which should then pull up everything tagged with that?
    Hi Maree, sorry for taking so long to reply and thanks for the suggestion. I was just learning about the tags when I saw your response. I spent the weekend putting categories in and putting tags on my elements. I took me hours and hours (I am still nowhere near done) as I have been saving digi stuff for years and I uploaded something crazy like 11,000 pieces! I must have put in about 15 hours as it is a steep learning curve for me right now!

I did make a category called Kits and a sub category for the name of the Kit. I then went on my hard drive and found that kit and then I went on the PSE organizers and found all the pieces that had been uploaded and then put all the pieces of the kit in that sub category. Now each part of the kit has a "sub category Tag" with the name of the kit.

I have over 150 more kits to do plus thousands more elements so I hope I am doing it the best way. I was just wondering if using a subcategory instead of just tagging it in a category will make a difference when I am searching for it.

The problem is that I don't really understand yet how I search for things so I am not sure what is the most important thing to do. It is overwhelming at the moment.

Anyway your tip about the tags was good. If anyone else knows if I am doing it right please step in with suggestions.

At this rate I will never get to scrapbook as I will be inputting forever! Maybe that will be my new hobby!!!
    Brenda

Brenda, I have been using PSE 10/11 for the past two years. I started out trying to tag everything - but got lost and spend way too much time of that. So... now I keep the kits together under Designer name/kit name and other identifying words [like DD for daily download, Prog, ST-Rd1,2,or3]. I would rather tag an element inside a kit rather than separate the kit.

Others prefer to use StoreName/DesignerName/KitName - but as I have designers who sell at several stores, I prefer to use the designer name.

This is especially helpful when I am working on things like progressive challenges - if the items are not supplied - as I like to use the same designer or kit for them.

A lot of designers have labeled their elements by what they are [flower, flag, clock, etc] so I can do a search of all my kits by searching for the word. I really appreciate it when they do that - rather than element 1,2,3, etc.

Good luck on how you decide to organize your kits. To me, I want to scrap not spend hours and hours [if not days and weeks] organizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Eyes View Post
    Brenda, I have been using PSE 10/11 for the past two years. I started out trying to tag everything - but got lost and spend way too much time of that. So... now I keep the kits together under Designer name/kit name and other identifying words [like DD for daily download, Prog, ST-Rd1,2,or3]. I would rather tag an element inside a kit rather than separate the kit.

Others prefer to use StoreName/DesignerName/KitName - but as I have designers who sell at several stores, I prefer to use the designer name.

This is especially helpful when I am working on things like progressive challenges - if the items are not supplied - as I like to use the same designer or kit for them.

A lot of designers have labeled their elements by what they are [flower, flag, clock, etc] so I can do a search of all my kits by searching for the word. I really appreciate it when they do that - rather than element 1,2,3, etc.

Good luck on how you decide to organize your kits. To me, I want to scrap not spend hours and hours [if not days and weeks] organizing.
    Thanks for this. I agree, it was about late Sunday night when I realized that this was a huge undertaking! After reading your post I think I may be on the right track with Kits. I have a Category called "Kits" and then subcategories with Designer Name and Then Kit Name. If I am correct, a sub category is searchable just like a Tag?

I have all papers (I searched for jpg file with a width of 3600 pixels) and put them in a Smart Album called Papers. I was going to tag all papers with colours and themes but I think that will be overload! Do you know if new papers added will automatically add to the Smart Album?

Thanks for the tips. Yes I also like it when designers use flow etc not 1,2,3 :-)

Thanks
    Brenda
    Brenda

I guess I am lazy as I didn't do any 'smart albums' at all. Discovered that my Windows8 will do a search if I click on my folder 'digiscrap' [main folder where all my kits go] and type in the word of a kit name or element, etc. Under the main folder I have it arranged in other sub-catagories [#00 Waiting to be copied]- denoting which kits have been copied to DVDs, which are waiting to be copied to DVDs. Once they are copied I move them from the sub-category to the main folder. I use the ## at the beginning of the subcategory to keep it at the top of the main category folder so it is easy to find.

I also use subcategory folders for special challenges or contest - like "GDS Nov 13 Progressive" or "Nov Template challenge", etc. Discovered that it is good to include the year [I use 13 for 2013] so if you do the same challenge in different years you can tell which one is which.

Well I didn't do a smart album because I'm smart :-) I was watching a You-tube video on the PSE organizer for scrapbooking and she told us to make a smart album. I just don't know if I have to add to it or if it does it automatically.

Thanks for the other tips, the year thing makes sense. Thanks for the input.
    Have a great day, now back to inputting!
    Brenda

I think when we all start this 'addictive' craft that we want to download and file everything then have bits and pieces all over the place with a lots of elements/papers with many of poor quality or that we would never use in a hundred years. I have deleted so much as I know now what I like and can use.
    Like Designers, I found that Scrappers develop a certain style too. I love elegance/vintage but I love fun pages that tells a story as well.
    I sort most of my kits into designer's names especially those designers that match my style and make high quality kits and..........
    I really make myself stop and think if I really need to download a 'freebie'. If then the 'Freebie' is of high quality I always visit that designer to see what they have to offer -it is very hard for designers so give them a chance too.

Quote Originally Posted by hy ellen View Post
    I think when we all start this 'addictive' craft that we want to download and file everything then have bits and pieces all over the place with a lots of elements/papers with many of poor quality or that we would never use in a hundred years. I have deleted so much as I know now what I like and can use.
    Like Designers, I found that Scrappers develop a certain style too. I love elegance/vintage but I love fun pages that tells a story as well.
    I sort most of my kits into designer's names especially those designers that match my style and make high quality kits and..........
    I really make myself stop and think if I really need to download a 'freebie'. If then the 'Freebie' is of high quality I always visit that designer to see what they have to offer -it is very hard for designers so give them a chance too.
    You are right. The problem was I was collecting for years but didn't really know how to digi scrap, I am learning now, so I didn't know what I liked yet. I noticed that some of the old pages are 2400 x 2400 not 3600 pixels like now. Not sure if that is a problem.

I have been a bit of a freebie collector but I have been buying some too. I was trying to update what I had as most was collected more than 5 years ago. I think I will be deleting a lot as I start getting more experience and learning what I like best.

Can I ask, if I decide I have an element or a kit that I don't like, do I go into the organizer and delete it or do I go only to my file folders on my computer and delete it there (I presume once it is gone that the organizer can no longer show it?)

Thanks
    Brenda