shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATC challenge swap - Feb

1. ATC challenge swap - Feb

Welcome to the ATC challenge and swap

So what is an ATC ?
    Artist trading cards (or ATCs) are miniature works of art about the same size as modern trading cards baseball cards, or 21⁄2 by 31⁄2 inches (63 mm 89 mm), small enough to fit inside standard card-collector pockets, sleeves or sheets. The ATC movement is said to have its origins in Switzerland.In 1990. Swiss artist Vanci Stirnemann was inspired by a collection of hockey trading cards and wanted to make a collection with his own art. Printing costs made it not feasible but in 1996 he decided to make the cards by hand.

One of mine

The first exhibition of 1,200 handmade cards took place in April 1997 at a bookstore and gallery in Zurich, Switzerland. Visitors were encouraged to make their own cards to trade with Stirnemann and others at the close of the exhibition. This style of art now has a worldwide following.

While this was the start of the modern movement the idea of trading small works of art is not new.
    Even as far back as the 16th century art cards or miniature paintings were pupular. they were mainly portrains and swapped. Advertsing on the cards came next - in france and later in england. Even the impressionists found a use for art cards - trading them for supplies,food etc and thye sued them to study each others styles.

In 1887 'baseball cards' began to appear. Baseball was in its heyday in the early 1900's and the cards began to appear in products such as bubble gum, cigarettes.
    ATC have been made with a variety of media - wet and dry and now in digital or hybrid.. The cards are usually traded or exchanged. When sold, they are usually referred to as art card editions and originals (ACEOs).

So there's the history now for the fun.

There are no rules in ATC except the size. We will be looking at more facts in the coming months but for this month let's just get started and play.
    Our challenge this month is to create a digital ATC.
    This month our theme will be Love

Mine is going to double as a card for Valentines day

WHAT TO DO
    The finished size should be 2.5 x 3.5inches You can work larger if you wish and downsize. I like to make mine at that size.
    You should save it as a jpg file and email it to me [fullsize pls ie 300ppi 2.5x3.5inch] at sharon@artforscrapbooking.com.
    Also post it in the gallery here in our special album. [rezise down to 72ppi 600px.]
    At the end of the month I will send all the files to each participant [if you don't wish for this then just let me know.]
    If you wish to go hybrid and then scan at the end that is cool too as long as the finished ATC is a jpg file - at 300ppi 2.5x3.6inches.

They will only be swapped within this group.

As there is swapping involved you need to be careful about individual designers TOU. Many and most don't allow us to give things to others.
    We encourage the use of items you make yourself or item from GDS designers. This is not a requirement but if you use anyone not listed you must have permission to use for this purpose.
    Keep in mind we are working small and most digital scrapbook kits will not be suitable. Downsizing can change the quality of the image. That being said you may choose to use a portion or crop parts to use.

The following designers at GDS have approved use of their products ONLY for the purposes of swapping within this group.

Art For Scrapbooking [my ATC products and CU products may be used for swaps here and elsewhere where no payment is involved. My other products may be used for this swap.]
    Keystone Scraps
    Andrea Gold
    JAB Digital Designs
    Studio4 Designworks
    Seoul 2 Soul Scraps
    Designs by Marcie
    Eirene Designs
    Karen Diamond Designs

So lets all have fun and have a go.
    You may even become addicted.

Last edited by Art for Scrapbooking; 02-02-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Making ATC's is fun!
    I'm in

3. Fantastic Ingrid I can't wait to see what you come up with.

As the Dutch Promotor of the ATC I cannot stay away!

For this swap do you create 1 ATC?
    creative greetings,

5. Yay we need you here Els.
    yes make one to swap each month but of course make as many as you like lol.

Last year I stopped with the hybrid ATC's: I had no more room to place them:

The only ones I still make are for my customers in my little ATCshop, but storage of digital atc's is easy! Have planty of room for that!
    creative greetings,

I definitely want to do this. I have made a few and I love it. I like that you don't have to fill up an entire page, but can focus on one thought, or one word, even. Thank you to the designers in the list who say we can use their products for this swap. Makes it a little easier.

I love your ATC. How cool to have a Valentine's card, and there is no pink or red! Thank for hosting.

8. Welcome to the challenge Kathryn. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
    My favourite thing about ATC is how 'eclectic' they can be. I love the interesting choices of elements you see. It does make you look in a new way working so small.

My ATC for this month:

I used "Vintage Valentine" - LizzyQXdesign

Thanks for the challenge Sharon, was a pleasure to do this!
    creative greetings,

10. Thanks so much for joining in. I got your email thanks.