shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Printing

Printing

I've only tried to print layouts once and I did it wrong.
    I am going to print a few 8.5x11 lo's this afternoon.
    What are the steps again?
    I am writing this down as I hear it but it escapes me? Its an old thing.

Thanks!

Nobody knows this?
    isn't it something with flattening layouts?

Never mind.
    I merged layers, then flattened.
    I'll see if that is right when I go to Costco.
    Thanks nontheless.

I think if you just save it as a .jpg it will be automatically flattened. They can't be taken apart as .psds or .pngs can.

Proudly CT Scrapping for Helen!
    GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

A grandmother's place is at the computer or behind the camera!

Thanks Barbara.
    Once again, I brought my CD in w/the wrong format...
    Luckily they were able to reformat because it was 8.5x11 and so I did get my layouts. My 1st 3 printed layouts! YEA! They looked great. Last time my DD and I brought in 8x8 and 12x12 layouts we had the same issue but they were able to do my DD's 8x8's, but not my 12x12's. At that time I thought the 8x8's looked ok.
    I am not saving in jpeg...maybe that is my problem.
    Is that what I want to do with a real high resolution?
    I thought this was an easy question with an easy answer. Evidently not.
    Do you digi scrappers print your layouts? What do you do?

I don't know the specific requirements at costco (we don't have them over here!) but I am pretty certain that you will have to have them saved as jpg files - thats certainly what most places require.

Thanks for your help.
    When I went to Costco I had not formatted again...right. jeeesh!
    But luckily because they were 8.5x11 they were able to reformat for me.
    So, tonight, I am trying again w/an online service but have been in contact with the vendor about how to prepare for printing...so, cross my fingers here.
    Barbara, that makes sense about jpeg flattening...maybe its merge I want to do?
    Joy, wouldn't all printers be the same be it here, Costco, or where ever you go or would each printer have different settings.

Setting should basically be the same...Save as JPG, not save for web. And just a note that while other online vendors may be less expensive, it's a good idea to check out how they package their stuff and the quality of the print. I myself tested all kinds of vendors before we offered our printing services and those two things were the biggest obstacles I ran into with some other vendors. We priced our service based on comparable vendors out there printing 12x12 who rendered the same quality (ink, paper and edge-to-edge printing) as well as means for packaging to ensure prints arrived safely and intact. We are pondering offering 8x8 printing service too :)
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Thanks Holly.
    My problem wasn't so much as where but how. I know I've read it somewhere but never wrote it down [why I have a notebook now]. Its been frustrating to go to Costco twice and they tell me they are not formatted right...The 1st time my DD had 8x8 and they could go in and format them correctly...thought the quality was so-so. They couldn't do that for my 12x12 which is OK because I don't really like that page much anymore. Same thing happened last week with my 8.5x11 layouts...not formatted properly again, but because of the size they were able to print them...I thought the quality was way better.
    But I see I am such a dummy...I haven't always checked my image size before starting and some were done at 72 dpi and all other crazy sizes.
    I did find out quality setting should be at 10 and baseline (standard).
    I will have to try your service now that I am getting a better understanding of how to prepare for printing.