shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Copyright question

Here I am again!
    In several kits I saw little teddybears in all sorts.
    But is that allowed?
    Or are these artists just gambling no one will notice?
    creative greetings,

My suggestion would be to check the Designer TOU's on those kits and see if they are crediting and who they are crediting.

There are Many CU items out there that most of the designers use.

Just do a search for Commercial Use Srapbooking and you will be amazed at how many sites there are!

Good Luck!

3. There are also a lot of things personal and CU sold that are not really ok but yes lots just hope they get away with it or don't know any better or do know and choose not too. You even see CU sold that has to be from extracted stock photos and it is questionable where they get their stock. The safest bet is stick to what you are sure of.

Thanks for your answers.
    Have to figure out lot of things I guess ;-)

But (here I am again...) suppose I have a license from someone that allows me to use her elements in my scrapkit, how can I be sure?
    Is it enough to mention this license in a TOU if she doesn't need credits for it?

Another thing: sometimes I see with a CU TOU: allowed to resize, recolor, but you cannot rename it.

But everything in the kit gets my name, do I have to leave her name in my kit then?

Sorry if I ask so much, but I'm just starting and want to do it the proper way!
    creative greetings,

5. Answers below

Quote Originally Posted by Els AW View Post
    Thanks for your answers.
    Have to figure out lot of things I guess ;-)

But (here I am again...) suppose I have a license from someone that allows me to use her elements in my scrapkit, how can I be sure?
    Is it enough to mention this license in a TOU if she doesn't need credits for it?
    You can only bee sure if you make yourself or buy from someone you know you can trust. So best thing is just to protect yourself. When you make a kit keep a list of CU items you use and save it with the kit. Then if you are asked you can quickly provide the information. It is up to you if you list in creadits if hey don't ask for TOU. Individual designers do this differently. I personally don't like long lists of everyone someone 'may have used'. But that is just me. I credit if it is asked for and also would if the person sells in the same store. Realisically it will proabbly not come up but if a customer asks then the store owner can ask you where you got it from. It does happen that designers pirate things and the store owner needs ot cover themselves as well. In this case you would just take the item down until it is sorted out.
    Another thing: sometimes I see with a CU TOU: allowed to resize, recolor, but you cannot rename it.
    I have not seen that. I have seen that you cannot recolor and it is usually graphics like whimsy primsy. I would not personally use ones that say you cant renme but maybe if you give us example we could answer more.
    But everything in the kit gets my name, do I have to leave her name in my kit then?

Sorry if I ask so much, but I'm just starting and want to do it the proper way!
    Its good to ask. you will find scrapbooking has its own rules and can be different to other communities.

Thanks Sharon!
    I'll do my best to create myself as much as possible!
    creative greetings,

Wow! I learned a lot of information from this thread. I am also inquiring about photographing objects to use in kits as long as it does not have a registered name on the item. I know it is safest to use items that are more than 100 years old. I would like to photograph some items I received from my grandmother to use in kits, such as jewelry, makeup compact, doilies, handkerchiefs. I am also wondering about plain Christmas ornaments that I have purchased through the years, such as glass bulbs, plastic angels, etc. They have no identifiable name on them. Are they okay to photograph and use in kits that you sell? I know not to use any registered name ornaments such as Barbie, Disney, and Precious Moments.