shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: January Progressive Challenge

1. Here's my Step 1

Step 1

Probably a bit light paper, but there is medium to dark in it, ROFL!

3. Here's my Step 1:

I used BG Paper: GDS March 2011 Collab Kit "Doodly Spring"

4. I've been trying to do the "progressive" challenges for a few months and I'm learning a lot. Thanks for all the fun!

I want to make sure that I'm giving appropriate credit. I watched the video on the keyword and store item web address part so I know to do that, but should I also list that same info under the photo description and credit section? It's seems a bit redundant (sp?), but I want to do it properly. Also, do I need to do an accumulative listing when I post Step 2, 3, etc? How do you all keep track of this? Again, I want to give proper credit where I should....and what about the non-GDS stuff? How should I list that and where?

Sorry, sooooo many questions....

Jessie :)

Jessie, so nice that you are having fun with the progressives here.

The easiest way [for me] is to save the original PSD/Tiff file under the name [like Jan Progressive] in a new folder labeled GDS Jan Progressive [as an example]. Makes it easy to find that month's progressive. Then when I reduce the image and save it as a jpeg file, I label eash one with my user name, month name, and step number.... ie.... BrightEyes Jan Prog Step1. End up with the same number of jpeg files as there are steps inside that month's progressive follder. BTW... as a hint - never flatten the PSE/Tiff original file as then you can't add more layers to it. [Learned this one the hard way on my first progressive.]

I always put the the kit name and link to kit in the description box as well as in the credit/store item boxes. There has been some problem finding it from clicking on the store item boxes.... sometime it will say 'item not found'. By including it in both places - a person can find the kit easily. I will also list the kit by name/designer in my post - if I remember.

I also like to copy and paste the step information into each step description box..... being sure to go back and repaste the kit link information as it gets cut short when you do the copy. So... step 2 would have the info from step 1 and step 4 would have the information for all the steps up to that step. Hope that is clear.

Have fun and enjoy the progressives.... they are additive.

ETA: for non-GDS items list them under the GDS but do not link them as outside linking is not allowed. You should list the kit and designer names do not list the other store name/s. Read the Gallery TOUs here. The progessive rules say you need to use at least 50% GDS items.
    Last edited by Bright Eyes; 01-06-2013 at 06:05 AM.

6. Thanks so much Bright Eyes for your help. I'm still a little unsure of how to credit a non GDS designer....could you give me a generic example??? Thanks again for all your help!

-Jessie :)

Quote Originally Posted by JessieTrotter View Post
    I've been trying to do the "progressive" challenges for a few months and I'm learning a lot. Thanks for all the fun!

I want to make sure that I'm giving appropriate credit. I watched the video on the keyword and store item web address part so I know to do that, but should I also list that same info under the photo description and credit section? It's seems a bit redundant (sp?), but I want to do it properly. Also, do I need to do an accumulative listing when I post Step 2, 3, etc? How do you all keep track of this? Again, I want to give proper credit where I should....and what about the non-GDS stuff? How should I list that and where?

Sorry, sooooo many questions....

For the purpose of this challenge, I would just list the credits on the finished layout. If there are a lot of them, and not from GDS designers, it's ok to list the credits in the description, just no links to outside sites ie: paper 2 from kit Blah by XYZ, glitter swirl from kit Blah by ABC. If using a kit from a GDS designer, that's where you'd use the information from the videos on this site.

There is a place within your program (PS or PSE) under properties to list things. Another way to do it is to put a layer at the bottom of your layer stack and name it credits.. then list the credits there and just keep it invisible until you need to add things to it. Then just copy and paste it when you need it. :) I'm sure there are heaps of other handy suggestions others have too. Pick one you like and have fun! :)

Just a Tweek on Bright Eyes comment re: progressive rules.. it states "Use of at least 50% GDS Designer products is encouraged and very much appreciated!" ... it doesn't say you *have to*.
    Last edited by Scrappinsass; 01-06-2013 at 11:03 AM.

8. Thanks so much for the info! Though I may use some outside stuff, I recently signed up for a year for the monthly stuff from GDS....so shouldn't be any problem finding all I need there. Now, I've gotta try that Scrappin 7...whew! hahaha

This is the first time I am doing the progressive challenge so I am a bit 'scared'
    I hope this first step is okay. I used a fine texturized paper from CorelPainter and I used a blue colour. I placed it in the gallery.

Now it's waiting time till the next step

10. You'll love doing this, Ingrid! I've learned sooooo much!

Have fun!