shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: November Progressive Challenge

November Progressive Challenge

A progressive scrap is a *slow* speed scrap!!! I love speed scraps and I'm equally fond of progressive scraps because there's no way to anticipate the next step so it's always interesting to see what kind of a fix we can get ourselves into and out of! Heaps of fun!! So here are the general rules to our *slow* speed... er I mean *Progressive Scrap*.

1. On the first day of the month I'll post Step 1. Then, I'll post the first of next weekly steps to the Progressive Scrap in a weeks' time, and so on until we've completed the layout

2. Add only the items listed in the step for that week, although you may add/alter shadows at any time.

3. As in card playing, *once it's laid, it's played*. If you posted your layout, you may not go back and change it. You may only build on the previous week's layout following the new step for the week and this makes things VERY interesting indeed!

4. The original and subsequent steps will be posted in this forum thread, as well as here in the first post.

5. Post your weekly layouts no later than midnight of the day before the next step is due - I'll post this date in the steps.

6. Post your layouts in the *Progressive Challenge* gallery.

7. Link your layout back to this forum thread so we can have a look at your artwork and leave some love!

8. Use of at least 50% GDS Designer products is encouraged and very much appreciated!

9. Please list all the GDS products you've used.

10. There will be a posting bonus for everyone that: a) posts a layout in the gallery for each step AND ALSO b) linking their layout back to this forum. (so you have to do both). I'll post the bonus in this thread when it's available.

11. YES this challenge counts towards the Scrap 7 Challenge!

To link your images back to the gallery .. have a look here

Also... here's on on how to assign keywords to your layouts to give the credit back to the GDS designer

Step One:
    1. OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!! November!! .. So you will need to find ONE interesting paper, but no real pattern.. maybe something with darker edges fading to lighter middle parts... any colour you like but don't let the paper overpower your layout. Make sure you pick your paper carefully as the rest of your layout depends on it. <<grin>> NOW.. take that paper and duplicate it. Now reduce the size by about 1/2" by grabbing the transform controls on one corner and holding the shift and Alt key down and dragging it towards the center about 1/4" in. By holding both, it keeps it centered. Make sense? Those instructions are for PhotoShop .. Not totally sure if it's the same for PhotoShop Elements... Elements users I'm sure can help us out here! :)

Post your layout by Monday, November 5, 2012 The next step will be posted Tuesday, November 6 2012

Step Two:
    2. Now I'd like you to find one photo with a large focal point. The photo should be about 5 or so inches square. If your photo has too much background in it, then enlarge the photo so your focal point is the main item. Duplicate it, turn one into Black and White and set both photos aside. Now use your guidelines to divide your layout into 4 equal quadrants. In PS, go to View - New Guide. When the dialogue box pops up, first input the horizontal and enter 50% in the position box. Now do the same for the vertical guide. In PSE, you'll find the New Guide menu in the Effects palette, then follow the same instructions as for PS positions. Now go back and get your colour photo. Size the photo so that it fits just inside either the top right or left quadrant, and that there is a 1/4" border between the edges of your top paper and the quadrant guidelines. Now cut your photo into about 4 or 5 slices, repositioning a slice just a few pixels either up or down by using your up or down arrow keys. You can use the left and right arrow keys to overlap one or two slices sideways. Make an arrangement that pleases you then add shadows to give it depth and definition. Get your B & W photo, size it the same size as your sliced photo, flip it horizontally and position it with the same border tolerances as the colour photo, in the quadrant below the photo. When your satisified with the positioning, you can clear your guidelines, in PS it's in the View menu, in PSE in the Effects palette. Clear as MUD??

Post your layout by Tuesday, November 13, 2012 The next step will be posted Wednesday, November 14 2012

Step Three:
    3. Now, using your vertical guide, create a center line again (follow instructions above to re-insert the center vertical guide), lay down a ribbon or paper strip in a strong colour that complements your layout and photo so that it overlaps JUST slightly the photos and the center line guide. Now add some small elements, ie foliage, string, flowers, butterflies or whatever you like. Make sure you don't go too far over the center line.

Post your layout by Thursday, November 22, 2012 The next step will be posted Friday, November 23 2012

Step Four:
    4. Ok... so now I want you to have a look at your layout and decide whether or not you like the spacing around your photos. If you think there is too much space there, you can enlarge both photos slightly (hold down the shift + Alt key while using the transform tools to drag your photo a little bigger. This will enlarge your photo from the centre in all directions. If you only want to drag it towards the corner, then just hold down the shift key) If you don't want to use that solution, you can put some foliage to fill the space a bit. Once you've done this, it's time to add a title. Now here's the challenge. Find a two or three word title that accurately discribes your layout and use a font that appeals to you. Frame it you think it fits. Think about the quadrants you created with the guides, and position the title centered in the upper quadrant. Now add your journaling under the title making sure you've written enough to balance out the page. You can add a journaling tag to put it on if you like, and don't forget to add a date.

Post your layout by Friday, November 30, 2012
    Last edited by Scrappinsass; 11-23-2012 at 08:55 PM.

....oh Lone.....what a nasty grin that was!!!!!!!

For PSE users I click on the paper with the move tool active, then click on the top left transform box. In the tool bar at the top you will see the width and height boxes. I simply click in the width box and reduce it to 96%. That reduces the paper a quarter of an inch on all sides. Make sure that constrain proportions is checked.

Never knew about that trick, 6Grand. In PSE10, I put the paper on a new blank
    layer; click on the move box, then grabbing the left corner push it diagonally inward. Do the same on the bottom right corner. Since the bottom layer is transparent - it has squares on it that you can use to line up the edges to make sure it even all around. I usually leave 2-3 of the squares visible to make the page about 1/4" smaller.

BTW, you can still do this if you have the background paper in the stack already. Make sure the background paper has a transparent layer beneath it. Then click 'the eye' in the layer box off - next to it. Then you can see when you adjust the the next paper layer above it.

I use PSE and on top paper -Ctrl T then hold down Alt and and drag the edge.
    In elements, Ctrl T does the transform I guess.
    Last edited by britnkaysmemaw2; 11-01-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappinsass View Post
    Step One:
    1. OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!! November!! .. So you will need to find ONE interesting paper, but no real pattern.. maybe something with darker edges fading to lighter middle parts... any colour you like but don't let the paper overpower your layout. Make sure you pick your paper carefully as the rest of your layout depends on it. <<grin>>
    Wow! No pressure at all getting the right paper. I'm starting to think you might just enjoy tormenting us.
    ~Suzette~

Ok...someone had to start this! LOL

Step 1

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    Wow! No pressure at all getting the right paper. I'm starting to think you might just enjoy tormenting us.
    Think it.....I know it! LOL.....But we love you anyway Lone !

LOL.... awwww commmmmmmon!!!! .. you know you love it!! LOL ..

Cathy.. Perfect choice!

Thank you PSE users!! for the tips! :)

To be sure: can we add shadow in here?
    creative greetings,