shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Two questions for you!!

I do both kinds of digital....I dont usually use greenery in my art journal pages! lol

kit preferences

Color always grabs me first, and a well-designed preview is nice, especially when a designer includes a preview of the papers and even paper closeups that show 5 papers to a preview.

I also like to check out the elements. A kit needs to have embellishments to warm up or decorate the page, and items like flowers, greenery, brads, pins, staples, stitching, borders, frames, journal spots, themed knickknacks, and wordart are great. Hmm, I guess I'm saying that I like my embellies to have a purpose as well as look good, not be merely decorative.

I'm definitely into journaling, too, so I like elements that help get the journaling done and looking good in the process. To me, the story is what is important, the who, what, when, where, how, etc.

Most importantly, when I'm choosing a kit for purchase (or even a freebie to download), I look closely at the originality and quality of the items. If the designer relies heavily on CU items, I don't give the kit even 10 seconds of my time.

Told you I like to journal ... you should see how much I left out!
    mskinsey

3. Quote Originally Posted by criostirado View Post
    I do both kinds of digital....I dont usually use greenery in my art journal pages! lol
    Same with me, Christine!

That's a good question. When I want to make a layout I have a topic in my mind and then I am searching for a kit. For example I want to create a Layout with the pics of our last holidays so I will look for beach, sun and summer stuff. Very important for me are the element especially the frames and all the small things I can use to make a cluster frame...

For me.First I look for theme in a kit and can it be used more than once.I don't care if it's mostly girl or boy,since I can use both.I always look at the layout done with the kit before deciding to buy.I don't like to recolor so I always look for the color I can use as is.

Dancing puts a smile in your feet.

I look at the preview first. Lets face it, if the preview isn't the greatest, you just don't sell your kit. I will look at the elements and if in small print I see "Not All Elements Shown" and there are only a few in the preview, I pass. This just tells me that the designer has not put 100% effort into it.
    Second, I look for greenery if the kit has flowers. I have not yet came across a flower that doesn't have some sord of leaves LOL! I like to add flowers but the greenery will make those flowers pop.
    Third, the addition of elements, ribbons, ric rac, buttons ... those are things that I look for. These days, clustering is big and if they don't have items like this, you just can't cluster.
    Last, papers, I am not a paper lover but I like to see a selection of patterned and solids. That is my rant of what I look for in a kit.

7. My first reaction is color. :) I then look for the details. I like to take kits and blend (mash), extract (cut out), and change the pieces to make it my own work. If a kit has too many "realistic" elements in it, I pass it by. But that's just me. ;)

8. Quote Originally Posted by lharvey81 View Post
    My first reaction is color. :) I then look for the details. I like to take kits and blend (mash), extract (cut out), and change the pieces to make it my own work. If a kit has too many "realistic" elements in it, I pass it by. But that's just me. ;)
    That is one of the reasons your pages are so outstanding- you add yourself to them!

9. greenery!

Quote Originally Posted by criostirado View Post
    I already answered how I choose kits....but I have a suggestion!!! Today while I was scrapping, I was using a kit that had no greenery in it...so I had to go digging thru a bunch of other kit to find some greenery.

You know what would be cool...a set of basics....that had in it say a bunch of different greenery to choose from. There are all sorts of sets of frames, tags, flowers...stuff like that that can be purchased....but no greenery...I know boring...but it would be nice to have an assortment of different leaves, vines, etc thats in a go to set

anyway just a suggestion!!
    So, I read this yesterday and went home with a mission last night. I took MANY photos of all kinds of greenery in my garden and will create elements from them! I don't currently have any kits or collections for sale, so, when I have this set ready to go, I'll provide a link to download the elements for free. It's a good "first kit" practice project for me and I'd like to see what you think of them when you use them. Hope this helps!

What a good idea, I find myself searching for greenery in my stash too. I love the viney kind too, to weave in and out and around.