shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: March Progressive Challenge

March Progressive Challenge

A progressive scrap is a *slow* speed scrap!!! I love speed scraps and I'm equally fond of progressive scraps because there's no way to anticipate the next step so it's always interesting to see what kind of a fix we can get ourselves into and out of! Heaps of fun!! So here are the general rules to our *slow* speed... er I mean *Progressive Scrap*.

1. On the first day of the month I'll post Step 1. Then, I'll post the first of next weekly steps to the Progressive Scrap in a weeks' time, and so on until we've completed the layout

2. Add only the items listed in the step for that week, although you may add/alter shadows at any time.

3. As in card playing, *once it's laid, it's played*. If you posted your layout, you may not go back and change it. You may only build on the previous week's layout following the new step for the week and this makes things VERY interesting indeed!

4. The original and subsequent steps will be posted in this forum thread, as well as here in the first post.

5. Post your weekly layouts no later than midnight of the day before the next step is due - I'll post this date in the steps.

6. Post your layouts in the *Progressive Challenge* gallery.

7. Link your layout back to this forum thread so we can have a look at your artwork and leave some love!

8. Use of GDS Designer products is encouraged and very much appreciated!

9. Please list all the GDS products you've used.

10. There will be a posting bonus for everyone that: a) posts a layout in the gallery for each step AND ALSO b) linking their layout back to this forum. (so you have to do both). I'll post the bonus in this thread when it's available.

11. YES this challenge counts towards the Scrap 7 Challenge!

Step One:
    1. I can't believe it's March already!! For step 1, you'll need one background patterned paper, and another complementary patterned paper layered over that and one plain complementary paper layered over that. You'll take the top paper and pull it to a side or top/bottom to within 3" of the edge of your layout. Now pull the next layer to within 1 1/2" of the edge of the top paper. Give your two top paper strips some shading to create some dimension.

Post your layout by Tuesday, March 6, 2012 The next step will be posted Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Step Two:
    2. You'll need to find a photo that will be the focal point of your layout. Place the photo on your background paper and then drag an edge under the middle paper and it's shadow. You may want to increase the shadow on your middle page to increase the illusion of depth.. in other words, bring the middle paper and it's shadow off the photo edge. To increase your shadow depth, you'll need to place the shadow on a layer of it's own and then use the warp tool to manipulate it. I'm not sure how you do that in Elements, perhaps someone can explain. You can give the photo a tiny turn to angle it slightly if you like. Remember.. Shadows are your friend in this layout and they can be adjusted at any time. Use them to create depth and/or lift things off of other things. Increasing the depth of the shadow in the middle of a paper only will give the paper a bend. Experiment. :)

Post your layout by Wednesday, March 14, 2012 The next step will be posted Thursday, March 15, 2012

Step Three:
    3. For this step you'll want to find or make 2 very narrow circular frame type elements to place over the focal point of the photo taking care not to overwhelm the photo. One of the frames could be made out of glitter, foliage, string, chain or something else that's interesting. You can place one under the photo as well.

Post your layout by Thursday, March 22, 2012 The next step will be posted Friday, March 23, 2012

Step Four:
    4. Two parts to this one... Find a long ribbon or strip of paper and place between top layer with shadow, and middle layer. You may want to warp the top layer slightly to give it some lift. Experiment til you like it. Now add some other elements around your frame/photo but not too elaborate.. remember there's still Step 5! lol
    Post your layout by Monday, March 26, 2012 The next step will be posted Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Step Five:
    5. Ok.. last step.... Find a bit of word art .. a sentiment or title that goes the entire length of the top paper. Now find a journalling tag that fits with your layout, and add some journaling along with a date and place it near your photo.
    Post your layout by Saturday, March 31, 2012
    Last edited by Scrappinsass; 03-27-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Gallery Link

I hope I did this right, sometimes I'm direction challenged!

Perfect!! Love the papers! :)

Thanks Lone, the papers are from the March Collab. It has a ton of papers, ellies and extras! This is my 3rd LO with it!

Here's my step 1! I had to read the instructions a few times - sometimes I'm a bit instruction challenged, too! :)

Proudly creating for Godigitalscrapbooking, Digidesignresort, Nydia's Scraps,
    JanetB Designs, Studio4 Designworks, StarSongStudio, Les idées de Christine

I used Andrea Gold's Expression Bundle-I used a light bevel with minimal shading
    http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com...p?photo=103684
    Claire

LOL....I think we were all instruction challenged.....my solution was to wait on someone else to post first, ROFL!

My Step 1:

Great start ladies! :) Remember you can add to or change the shading at any time.. :)

Glad to know I'm not the only one that suffers from being direction challenged! hehe!

Here's mine, thanks for the challenge!