shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Any advice for the coloring prince?

Any advice for the coloring prince?

Ok, I have six kids and they all like to color with crayons and markers. However, my 3 year old has taken to coloring on things other than paper. Today alone, he colored my front window with a permanent marker, colored the coffee table with a white out pen, colored part of the grout in my mud room with an orange crayola marker, and colored the grout along my front window sill with a highlighter.

All of this was done while keeping a good watch on him too. He is so sneaky. He waits until you aren't looking. I've put markers and crayons up but we're having trouble because the other kids don't feel like that's fair. He will use anything he can too...pencils, pens, markers, crayons, even the white out pen. I've made him scrub every bit of it off too and that hasn't helped. I made him sit for time out and he just doesn't get it.

Any advice for curbing this? My walls are becoming embarrassing to look at and I don't want to paint over it until he stops.

2. OH My!!!! Have you tried the markers that only write on certain paper. You can get coloring books or just plain paper but the ink is invisable. My best friends little girl did things like this and she made a huge deal out of getting these special markers and papers that only she was allowed to use. I think Crayola makes them.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I never thought of it that way. Maybe if he got trained that he could only write on paper, he would stop and get used to the paper. I'll have to try that. Thanks!!

I second that. My daughter colored on everything. The firs tmonth we moved into our home, she took a permanent marker and colored all over the family room .. and moved onto her brothers room. This was a matter of minutes as I was gathering laundry. We used the markers that only right on that certain paper .. best thing ever invented. We then bought her an easel and she will sit and color and draw for hours.

You might also frame out a section of a wall in his room and paint it with the Chalkboard paint.
    My Daughter did this for the first set of foster kids and painted a large square and then framed it (using chair rail or baseboard round) and told them this was there place to do their art.
    They loved it, because then they could change it whenever they wanted!

Good luck!

6. Quote Originally Posted by britnkaysmemaw2 View Post
    You might also frame out a section of a wall in his room and paint it with the Chalkboard paint.
    My Daughter did this for the first set of foster kids and painted a large square and then framed it (using chair rail or baseboard round) and told them this was there place to do their art.
    They loved it, because then they could change it whenever they wanted!

Good luck!
    ooh that's a really good idea!! My guy might like that. Hes bigger so he does really well, but he has been saying his dry erase board is too small, I'll Baker known( my Friend) might be a helpful with Alex
    [IMG][/IMG]

Oh No Andrea!
    I am there with you. My dd is just starting to only "color" on paper now that she is five. We had such problems.

I second the Crayola Wonder stuff. They make crayons (which dont last long IMO), paint type brushes that are prefilled with the stuff, little palettes of the stuff where you rub the fingers in, the markers which usually come in a set with a coloring book. Now they even make metallic ones too. They are great.

I only had one to keep track of, but it was so bad that I had to take away all markers and crafting supplies and only let her use the stuff supervised. I am still finding stuff she has "colored on"
    With my dd I knew it was an attention thing -- as soon as I would be answering the phone or in the shower or otherwise not focussed on her, she would do the stuff. Time out didn't work, the only thing we found that she cares enough about to be a punishment is taking her blankie away. Even not getting to do something like go to the park offered no incentive for her.

good luck

8. I'm having trouble with my 3 year old monster, too. Actually, I still find my 7 year old writing on stuff sometimes...argh.

Just FYI...Love the Crayola Color Wonder stuff, but I left the markers on top of some CD's for a few weeks once and the markers leaked and ATE the CD cases....

Good luck!

Oh Andrea - I feel for you. I was so lucky with my kids. My daughter took a lipstick one time and wrote on the fridge, and that was easy to clean off. But that was the only time. The products they have out nowadays are so much better too. The kids had a easel in their playroom and I had a wall where I put up huge pieces of paper I had on a roll and they were free to do whatever they wanted on them. Sounds like there's some good ideas here though. Good luck!

Thanks for the great ideas! I'll be trying them for sure. :)