shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More fun than a root canal...

1. More fun than a root canal...

Really, it is!
    So, thursday night we get a phone call from a neighbor, who says she's been asked to pass the word that our city water supply is contaminated and there's a "boil water order" in effect at least until Sunday night. WHAT???

Apparently, there have been mass amounts of people with intestinal/stomach illnesses and the only commonality they can find between them, is the area that they/we live in. So they are testing the water, but won't know until Sunday if it is the water supply that is the source of the problem.

In the meantime, we have to boil any water that we use for drinking, teeth-brushing, or dish-washing, and let it cool before using it. Considering the amount of bottled water, paper plates/products that we are using, the landfills are going to take a real hit.

Not only that, but my email was down all week! So I'm starved for contact with the outside world, LOL, AND my microwave blew up yesterday....does that mean I've gone through three things and it's going to calm down yet? LOL

It's given me the opportunity to assess whether we have enough water storage (our ecclesiastical leaders encourage us to store food and water)...we definitely HAD enough drinking water for several days, so I am happy about that, but I AM SO SPOILED!!!! How did people used to live before bottled water and microwaves??

Do you store food and water for emergencies? What would be the "modern convenience" that you would miss most if we were suddenly living in the mid 1800's????

(Thanks for letting me blather on....I'm starved for adult conversation, LOL)

Oh my....what a lovely week you've had!!!!!!!!!!! So sorry to hear of your troubles and hope that things get back to normal very soon girl!
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Wow, you really have had quite the week Jenn. Hope it is going much better now.

It would have to be the internet I would miss the most. I have come to realize I am an internet junkie! Is that wrong? LOL

Ohio - but ready to move to the desert or the Caribbean.
    Quote Originally Posted by britnkaysmemaw2 View Post

It would have to be the internet I would miss the most. I have come to realize I am an internet junkie! Is that wrong? LOL
    I would say my cell phone. I can get the internet on it.

Hope your week coming up is better.
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by ATWIGO View Post
    I would say my cell phone. I can get the internet on it.

Hope your week coming up is better.
    Yep Nancy....my iPhone would have to be with me then I could get the internet too, ROFL.

WOW Jenn!! Hope things start to look better for you. I think for me it would have to be my cell phone. That is how I can make sure everyone I love is safe and where they are supposed to be. Oh I hope never to be without it!! How did I survive before cell phones?

7. If it's wrong, Cathy, I don't wanna be right, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by britnkaysmemaw2 View Post

I had an EX-husband (and I stress EX for eccentric) who insisted we have enough water and food stored for 2 years!!!! .. He had us all get water beds and put in water sterilizing stuff so no algae would grow so we could use it to reconstitute our dried food goods! You should have seen my basement!!!! I do believe in having emergency supplies but 2 years worth? sheee.. He also had us store sleeping bags for the entire family and guns, ammo and fishing gear behind the seats in the truck and water sterilizing stuff, in case we should get *cut off from civilization* ie: earthquake or other natural disaster. I think he had his heart in the right place, but I also think it was a bit of overkill.

The thing I would miss most is indoor plumbing. Having to run outside to an outhouse in the middle of the night would be horrible and not to mention - YUCK!!!

I'd miss electricity--nothing else would work without that! Sorry you've had so much trouble, Jenn.