shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials

Thread: Share Some Scrapping Tips

Share Some Scrapping Tips

Hey Everybody!
    I was just thinking it would be cool if we could share some quick and easy scrapping organization tips here because...

I was looking for a layout I had made and I couldn't easily find it since I didn't name my files the way I usually do, which is to have the year and month, then maybe a description of the page or event

for example, for a holiday photo last year, my file name would be
    2008Dec_holiday or 2008Dec_treetrimming

This way, I can find my .jpgs and my original .psd files in case I am going to print or change something. I organize my photos by date, and this naming method helps me to find photos from that time frame too -- since I also dont print photos right away

And, I save both the .jpg (8x8") and the .psd file
    After a few months, I will "archive" my .psd files, move them to my EHD and then make a backup disc. (i keep the full size .jpg's on my computer though) I have always had this fear of losing things, especially my photos or a page I worked really hard on in the first place

So, do you have any tips to share that help you organize your supplies or how you backup data? What works for you -- I am always looking for ways to improve my process

2. Wow, you're so organized, Liz! I wish my methods were as specific! I just back up a month, or 2 weeks worth at a time (photos, layouts, purchases, creations)....so if I ever have to restore, searching for stuff will be a beast, but at least it will be there somewhere, LOL.

Can't wait to hear everyone else's ideas.

I am the last person you want to give advice on saving files! I am still trying to retrieve files off of my EHD from when my computer crashed.

But I would love to hear all of your ideas on what everyone does to stay organized.

I keep everything on my EHD. I don't like to slow my computer down. I have backed up on a disk but not much. My next techy purchase will be a new EHD. My problem is that I don't know how to back up without recopying/replacing everything.

Well, I don't have a tip for organizing files, but this is a little something that I find helpful when posting to the Gallery. I made up a worksheet that I keep track of everything I use on a LO so that when I post to the gallery I have all the info. This is especially helpful when I've taken items from numerous sources. I print it out in "landscape" mode so I can put the info for 3 LO's on each sheet.

This is the info I included: date, name of the forum, name of the challenge, name of the page, template, kits used, fonts, individual items used - papers, elements.

I find it especially helpful if I post a LO on more than one forum.

that is a great idea!
    and you have the info printed for the future too
    I find when I go back to work on a layout I have set aside, I have nothing and no clue what I used

I even bought myself a little composition book to keep scrapping notes
    -- maybe i should use it!

I never thought of making a printed sheet to keep the info on, but it is a great idea. I just use a spiral notebook, and have kept all my info in there, including which LOs I posted for the Scrappin 7 challenge, and whether I've received the posting bonuses. As long as I keep up with it, everything's ok, and I can find the info I need. Woe is me if I forget to mark something down...

Quote Originally Posted by californiateri View Post
    Well, I don't have a tip for organizing files, but this is a little something that I find helpful when posting to the Gallery. I made up a worksheet that I keep track of everything I use on a LO

That is a great idea Teri. I normally just keep a piece of scrap paper by me when doing a lo, especially a speed scrap to write things on. Maybe I should do a spreadsheet to use. Hummmm. will have to work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by californiateri View Post
    Well, I don't have a tip for organizing files, but this is a little something that I find helpful when posting to the Gallery. I made up a worksheet that I keep track of everything I use on a LO so that when I post to the gallery I have all the info. This is especially helpful when I've taken items from numerous sources. I print it out in "landscape" mode so I can put the info for 3 LO's on each sheet.

This is the info I included: date, name of the forum, name of the challenge, name of the page, template, kits used, fonts, individual items used - papers, elements.

I find it especially helpful if I post a LO on more than one forum.
    I also do this but I go a step further & copy the challenge info(name of challenge, description of challenge, upload instructions, even pics if there are any) into a Word document & print that out. Then I use that sheet to write down the kits I used & also whether or not I still need to upload and/or print.