shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How strict a mom are you?

How strict a mom are you?

Just last sunday my older son came back from sunday school and told me my younger one put up his hand when the teachers asked if anyone had problems and needed prayer. His problem? "My parents are too strict"

We didn't know whether to cry or to laugh!!! Well yes, we are pretty strict, but we hadn't thought of it as a "problem" to our children!!

Just wondering how strict you are, or believe you should or should not be?

2. I was just thinking about this today actually. Weird. Well, my baby is only 15months old but I was thinking how before I had her, I thought I was going to be a lot more strict than I really am. Of course, I don't think I can really discipline her now because she doesn't quite understand BUT I don't see myself as being as strict when she gets older than what I thought I would be. Does that make sense?

But really, I think all kids think their parents are strict. If you tell a kid no then they automatically think you are strict. So I don't think you can really help it.

That is funny though...

I agree - I think as soon as you say no to a kid, they think you are strict! If my girls are in a good mood with me, they will say that I'm not strict, but if they have just been told off or not allowed something, they think I am!!

I'm sure that my kids would disagree, but I don't feel that we are strict enough sometimes.

We had some issues with our youngest adult child, so are a bit more careful with the three still at home. But being more careful means that we ask more questions and are more aware of what is going on. We do expect them to complete their chores and keep their rooms/bathrooms clean and also check their grades on the school website before we allow them to go do things, but as long as they are keeping up with their responsibilities AND we don't already have other plans for them, then they can pretty much to anything (within reason).

I know that they, however, would say that the fact that they even have chores to do is *way* to strict, LOL. And, I am getting flack right now from my 13 year old son that we don't allow them to date until 16.

We hadnt been strict enough with my oldest (shes almost 5). Lately she has become a walking attitude problem. We've finally started cracking the whip with her though. We dont ask much of her though. Just that she keep her toys and clothes put away and not scream and yell and backtalk us. She obviously thinks we are too strict though, shes always talking about running away.

Yes and No. I am strict when I need to be. Certain things I will let slide others I won't budge on. I spoil them rotten but they still listen to me for the most part too.

Hmmm... I think I'm middle of the road. I don't ask alot of them constantly (or didn't now that 3 are grown and mostly out of the house), normal things to expect, strive to do your best in school, be honest, do what I ask of you and be respectful of yourself and others.

If strict means following through with consequences when those things didn't happen, then yes, I'm strict. And would not ever apologize for being so. I believe in treating them in such a way that they know I am only doing whatever it is, in their best interest.. out of love and care. (I want them to enjoy being kids too :). Things and previledges were earned through responsibility and trust.

LOL.. did they like it.. nope... which looking back now, I think is a great thing! Are they good people, caring and responsible and people I would want in my life whether they were my children or not... absolutely!

Take any credit... NO way... God's Grace always.. I have been blessed :)

Now Hannah, my five year old...lol.. she's gonna give me a real run for my money!! hehe!

Sounds like you have quite the strong willed child!! My granddaughter is just like that - but I think now that you are starting to add a bit of discipline, it will get better. (not perfectly easy, LOL, just better )

Quote Originally Posted by bay_girl View Post
    We hadnt been strict enough with my oldest (shes almost 5). Lately she has become a walking attitude problem. We've finally started cracking the whip with her though. We dont ask much of her though. Just that she keep her toys and clothes put away and not scream and yell and backtalk us. She obviously thinks we are too strict though, shes always talking about running away.

Oh jeeze... Mine are grown, except the 17 year old. Still at home.
    He gets a little mouthy sometimes. I guess he forgets, he's the child and I am the Mom.

I was really getting into this thread!!!.. when all of a sudden I see Debra has 3 kids that are almost out of the house and Maise whose are all grown up, except for the 17 year old!!! WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE TAKING!!!! You look like kids yourself!!!!!! I am in AWE!!! Debra I hope you dont mind, but when did you have your kids??? at 10??? LOL
    As for being Strict... it all depends anymore, if I am in the mood to be strict!
    In the beginning I was very strict, but I think after the first one, you become more relaxed and frankly you've been through it already. Now you just hope they carry everything you taught them into their world and pray to God some of it sinks in!!!
    Just my 2 cents worth!