shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm nosy!!!!

I'm nosy!!!!

I'm being nosy again... what else is new? It's getting to be registration time(at least here in Ontario, Canada) for summer activities! For those of you that have children, are you registering your children for any activities! Maybe if we post them here, the designers might even make us some nice summer activity kits... LOL!!!

My little man is already registered for soccer, and has now decided he wants to play lacrosse with the rest of his hockey friends, so I will be registering him for that in a week! So it will be a busy summer!!!

Stephanie

Between our busy schedules and money being so tight, it's hard for us to sign the kids up for things like that.

My highschooler is on the school golf team, and my middleschooler is doing a volleyball club thing at his school.

As for the summer, my preschooler and I are friends with people who have a neighborhood pool, so we will likely be spending a lot of time with them there rather than anything too scheduled.

Melanie.. Your ways sounds so much better.. I could do the sitting by the pool thing for the summer!

However, Hannah's got a crazy schedule, baseball, soccer camp, swimming lessons, dance and piano lessons... somebody just shoot me!!

But Debra... think of all the pictures you will have to scrap... LOL!!!

Melanie's way does sound much better, but Justin is an only child and it's good for him to socialize!!!

It's good for Mommy to socialize with the other mommies there too... LOL!!!

Stephanie

Wow - and they have all things like that organised over the holidays??? We don't have things like that over here - certainly not to the extent you lot seem to have over there!

My girls' weekly dance lessons will continue as usual, and they are planning on organising a weeks 'summer camp' which isn't a camp at all - just a couple of hours a day for a week and they do a show at the end of it.

But, thats about it! None of their other out-of-school activities continue over the summer, and I don't know of anythig else that gets organised!! My girls spend most of the summer holidays playing with their friends, or we all go out for the day as a family. Guess its all done a bit differently over here!

6. LOL Joy if there is a sport or a skill for a child to learn, there's a class for it somewhere!!......I haven't signed them up for anything and I'm prolly not going to. I'll most likely take the kids out on my own wherever our fancy takes us.....the beach, zoo,park, library, museums, our own backyard....lol

Don't get me wrong though, this doesn't mean that I don't want new kits to scrap my pictures with!!
    Patty

Say Hello if'n ya wanna.....userID PattyN

Quote Originally Posted by twirlyjoy View Post
    Wow - and they have all things like that organised over the holidays??? We don't have things like that over here - certainly not to the extent you lot seem to have over there!
    Joy, I'll try not to get on my soapbox *too much* on this one, but I think that's part of the problem here in the US, we make our kids so busy that they can't be kids anymore. I remember my school breaks - just a lot of sleeping in and doing nothing. I think kids now a days could use a bit of that!

Many of these activities are put on by the YMCA or parks 'n recreation, then there are also tons of private schools, clubs and leagues (karate, dance, gymnastics, baseball, soccer, football, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by twirlyjoy View Post
    they are planning on organising a weeks 'summer camp' which isn't a camp at all - just a couple of hours a day for a week and they do a show at the end of it.
    Now that sounds like a blast! Totally something that I would have loved as a kiddo! I hope you take lots of photos and video and share the LO's when it's all over.

Wow, I think our kids in Singapore are coming up to a close second to yous in the US.

It's "summer" here all year long, so my boys have swimming lessons all year long, they also have piano lessons, but none of these seem to be working very well !

During the longer hols in June they have gone on science camps, and a K'nex camp (can you believe it?) before, but now that they are in school and have so much holiday homework, i think we'll just do the sitting around the pool or beach anytime we can !!

Wow, Yin! Don't tell my son's about K'Nex camp - I might have to send them to you for the summer if they find out, LOL! I think it's great that they do have some homework over the break - our kids here loose so much over break that the teachers have to spend the first month back reminding them what they learned the last year. Even the 3-4 week winter (Christmas) break is a challenge - especially this year when they were supposed to take their finals before the break but ended up with snow days instead - then had to go back in January to final exams .

Maybe its different over here as we actually have shorter summer breaks (although they have more breaks throughout the rest of the year - at easter and half term hols which make it the same in total!) - usually 6-7 weeks during the summer. I actually love having my kids around in the holidays and as they have each other and local friends to play with, we don't need much organised. - any activities, I usually do with them and friends.