shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scan your abrViewer for Trojan

Scan your abrViewer for Trojan

My antivirus program found that my abrViewer was infected with a trojan called w32Bancos.AKBR. I downloaded the program several weeks ago, (I don't remember where the download was) but had not installed it until recently, and I only ran it once. It is a keylogger to steal your online banking username and password. Be careful where you download the program, and be sure to scan the file before installation. Since this is a tool commonly used by scrappers, I urge everyone here to use extreme caution.

Proudly CT Scrapping for Helen!
    GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

A grandmother's place is at the computer or behind the camera!

Ditto!

I had installed it a while back and got a virus that corrupted one of my system files and burned up my OS. It also uninstalled my antivirus and corrupted the windows installer so I couldn't reinstall my antivirus. When I tried to reboot, my OS was gone. Luckly my hubby is a network engineer, so he salvaged all of my data. Bad stuff! I wasn't sure what I installed that caused the problem until now.

Ouch! You had severe bad luck! My antivirus (F-Prot) caught it before it did any damage. As soon as I booted up this morning, F-Prot told me I had the bug. It deleted it, and I had no problems. I wasn't truly infected, but the danger was there. Evidently you had a different bug than I did - mine just compromises bank logins! It was specific for certain banks and mine wasn't on the list, so I'm not worried. Most are South American, but Citibank was on the list.

I love F-Prot - they've discovered the most problems in the wild and always seem to have the first innoculations for them, as well as Windows vulnerabilities. My son, an MS Certified Software Engineer and computer consultant, installed it for me, and uses nothing else. In his opinion, Norton and McAfee are bloatware, and they sure did nasty things in my computer, like corrupting Word, for instance, as well as slowing everything down tremendously.
    Last edited by bdjeepers; 03-07-2007 at 07:21 AM.

GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

Since I don't know what ABRviewer is, can I assume I don't have it?

abrViewer is a program that lets you see what PhotoShop brushes look like. There are so many brush freebies given away or sold on the net, and especially scrapbook sites, that it's nice to be able to see what they look like before installing them. I know I downloaded my version from a scrapbook site from a link that a viewer inserted in a forum, but I don't remember which one. I would think that the one at the developer's site (Google it) would be safe, but I don't know for sure. Many scrappers have recommended the program, so I thought I was safe, coming from from one. Grrr! to whoever it was!

I think you're very safe to assume you don't have it, if you didn't download and install it yourself.

GDS Blinkies by Melanie!
    Barbara

I downloaded mine in January, and McAfee never alerted me. Hmmm... I'll run my virus scan. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bdjeepers View Post
    abrViewer is a program that lets you see what PhotoShop brushes look like. There are so many brush freebies given away or sold on the net, and especially scrapbook sites, that it's nice to be able to see what they look like before installing them. I know I downloaded my version from a scrapbook site from a link that a viewer inserted in a forum, but I don't remember which one. I would think that the one at the developer's site (Google it) would be safe, but I don't know for sure. Many scrappers have recommended the program, so I thought I was safe, coming from from one. Grrr! to whoever it was!

I think you're very safe to assume you don't have it, if you didn't download and install it yourself.
    thanks--I am pretty sure I don't have it, since I don't know anything about using brushes yet. That is another thing I have to learn--I am trying to learn about actions right now.

8. As one of the developers on the project I would like assure everyone that the download available from the project's home website (http://sourceforge.net/projects/abrviewer/) is completely safe.

I'm disappointed, but not altogether surprised there are other sites redistributing infected versions of the program, but as with most open source software there is no restriction in the licensing on redistribution.

If anyone can confirm the site from which they downloaded infected versions, please let me know.

ETA: I can be contacted via the website above or directly at myranalis at hotmail dot com.

Regards,

Anna Forrest
    Last edited by myranalis; 06-28-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Myranalis,
    I downloaded the safe one from your site, now how do I use it?

Quote Originally Posted by myranalis View Post
    As one of the developers on the project I would like assure everyone that the download available from the project's home website (http://sourceforge.net/projects/abrviewer/) is completely safe.

I'm disappointed, but not altogether surprised there are other sites redistributing infected versions of the program, but as with most open source software there is no restriction in the licensing on redistribution.

If anyone can confirm the site from which they downloaded infected versions, please let me know.

ETA: I can be contacted via the website above or directly at myranalis at hotmail dot com.

Regards,

Anna Forrest
    Thank you Anna for coming and helping us out! We appreciate the time you've taken!
    AMY

FREE AT LAST - DID AWAY WITH THE DRAMA!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Say "HELLO" to me ~ alfenner