shoppe forum gallery chat classes blog newsletter contact calendar getting started facebook today\'s posts tutorials
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why use a template?

If you go here:

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com...splay.php?f=38

You can see the sketch challenges and there are also some tutorials in there on how to use templates. :)

2. Sorry for a naive question. I use Photoshop Elements 7. I downloaded a template (.png) file. It's got all these layers. For the layer, I thought I'd be able to apply color to the layer or drop a photo and it would auto-size for the layer dimensions. Maybe I'm spoiled with frames.

I'm guessing there's a reason to use layers vs frames. Interested in any insights. Thx.

tk, Have you been using a page layout program with frames for text, photos, etc? Photoshop and Elements are not so much oriented to that metaphor, but allow more flexibility in what you do with the layers. The blending functions, clipping masks, and so forth make PS and PSE much more suited to the stuff we do as scrappers. I think the more you use the program, the more you'll explore those functions it offers and you'll grow to love it!
    Dona

4. Help! I am dying here... I have tried so many times to add drop shadows in my template, and it just isn't working. I have watched and read so many tutorials that kind souls here have pointed me to, but they all say, "Add drop shadows as needed." ACK! If I knew how, I would :-)... I have been trying to add it to the template layer (advice I found here) by selecting that layer, then choosing the "drop shadows" in my effects>styles palette, and dragging my preferred button over both the layer in the palette or the actual page in the working space itself. Neither one does anything. I can see the shadow on the unclipped item, but once it is clipped, you can't see a shadow.
    I have tried adding the shadow both before and after clipping, neither one makes a difference. To be fair, I am certainly a newbie, and am just finally feeling like I get how the whole layers thing works. But I have been able to follow every tutorial so far, and every time when I get to the shadows part, they just say, "add as needed". PLEASE, please, please, I beg you, please can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
    I can easily add drop shadows in MDS, and often just create my elements in PSE and import into MDS and add shadows there. I can't import templates there, however, so if I want to use templates and participate in desktop challenges, etc..., I need to figure out how to fix this crazy problem I am having.
    Thanks for sticking with me!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaSchwich View Post
    Help! I am dying here... I have tried so many times to add drop shadows in my template, and it just isn't working. I have watched and read so many tutorials that kind souls here have pointed me to, but they all say, "Add drop shadows as needed." ACK! If I knew how, I would :-)... I have been trying to add it to the template layer (advice I found here) by selecting that layer, then choosing the "drop shadows" in my effects>styles palette, and dragging my preferred button over both the layer in the palette or the actual page in the working space itself. Neither one does anything. I can see the shadow on the unclipped item, but once it is clipped, you can't see a shadow.
    I have tried adding the shadow both before and after clipping, neither one makes a difference. To be fair, I am certainly a newbie, and am just finally feeling like I get how the whole layers thing works. But I have been able to follow every tutorial so far, and every time when I get to the shadows part, they just say, "add as needed". PLEASE, please, please, I beg you, please can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
    I can easily add drop shadows in MDS, and often just create my elements in PSE and import into MDS and add shadows there. I can't import templates there, however, so if I want to use templates and participate in desktop challenges, etc..., I need to figure out how to fix this crazy problem I am having.
    I can't help you a lot with the shadows in templates, because I too have had problems, but, if you send a PM to Andrea, I am sure she could give you all the info you need. She is our Template Queen here at GDS.

Would love to know the answer if you find one.

6. Okay, I went back out and searched you tube again, and I found this video... Finally, I get it! I will leave this here, in case someone else is dying to figure out drop shadows, too.

Help! I am dying here... I have tried so many times to add drop shadows in my template, and it just isn't working. I have watched and read so many tutorials that kind souls here have pointed me to, but they all say, "Add drop shadows as needed." ACK! If I knew how, I would :-)... I have been trying to add it to the template layer (advice I found here) by selecting that layer, then choosing the "drop shadows" in my effects>styles palette, and dragging my preferred button over both the layer in the palette or the actual page in the working space itself. Neither one does anything. I can see the shadow on the unclipped item, but once it is clipped, you can't see a shadow.
    LoriJoy,
    Once you've clipped your paper or photo to the shape and are happy with it, then merge the clipped layer down to the shape layer. Adding a shadow now should make it appear. You can adjust the density and size of the shadow once it's on that layer. The way to add shadows is to choose the merged layer and add the shadow style by clicking on it in the style palette (that's for Photoshop, I assume it's pretty much the same in PSE). To edit the style, double-click on the icon for the effect in the layers palette.
    Hope this applies and helps you.

8. Thank you!!!!

Donakat,
    That is SO much easier than the way I was doing it from the youtube video!!! Now it all makes so much sense... thanks so much! I am so hooked on the desktop challenge now, I'll be doing it every month for sure!
    LoriJoy
    (another dumb question: is the posting bonus link emailed to me or pm'd or should I have already found it?)

(another dumb question: is the posting bonus link emailed to me or pm'd or should I have already found it?)
    Generally, the host of the challenge will PM each participant after the end of the month to give you a link to the posting bonus. Occasionally you will get it earlier, but usually the first week of the next month.

10. oops

Sorry... I just realized that I asked a question that should have been put into a different thread. Still new here... thanks for answering it, anyway.
    This place rocks!