PDA

View Full Version : Karate, etc. activities?

HollyS
01-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi all, if you all have sons and/or daughters who have been schooled in any form of karate, can you share any thoughts on appropriate age and types of "karate" like tae kwon do, kung foo, etc (showing my ignorance here).

My 8yr old is very much interested in it...

mbm69
01-14-2009, 11:35 AM
My 2 sons are trained in shorin ryu karate (and so is their mom and dad... actually I'm a part time instructor at our dojo).

I think martial arts in general are great for kids, but I think you have to look for a dojo you and your son will like more than a style of karate or martial arts. All the styles have similarities, but there are differences in style of teaching, differences on focus of curriculums.

I know mostly about shorin ryu karate, and a bit about judo. Judo, jiu jitsu are mostly focused on "ground exercises" like wrestling if you want. Taekwondo (which is a korean martial arts btw) mostly focuses on kicks, less on hand. Kung fu is a chinese martial arts (and I know nothing about it). There are also other forms like Capoeira (brazilian)... Karate (Japanese) is about 50/50 hand and leg action. Our curriculum is mostly forms (kata which are kicks, blocks, punches choreographed to simulate an actual combat), but we also practice many kick and hand techniques, sparring (light contact combat), self defense and board breaking (which is totally cool btw!)

I don't know about what kinds of martial arts you have access to, but if there are a few schools were you are at, visit them all, ask to try classes, and you'll figure out where you and your child will like best.

Some people will tell you to avoid mcdojos. Mcdojos are known for "black belt factories". Look up mcdojo on google, and you'll find plenty of examples. But my dojo qualifies as a mcdojo, but I absolutely love it!! That's why I'm telling you to visit and try out classes and you will eventually find the right fit.

Hope this helps you out, and I can answer other questions if you have any :)

HollyS
01-14-2009, 11:56 AM
thank you for taking time to respond to me! Appreciate your thoughts....

JAB
01-15-2009, 02:54 PM
My 6 yr. old son has been taking Tae Kwon Do for a year now. He LOVES it and we have noticed so many positive changes in him.
It focuses not only on the TKD skills...but on discipline, focus, self concept, etc.

It has helped his self esteem and his behavior more then I can express.

I honestly don't know anything about any of the other types of Martial arts.
We were very lucky to find a small, family run, family oriented TKD studio for him.

We have been thrilled with the entire experience.

Not sure any of this helps....but just wanted to share :)

mbm69
01-16-2009, 07:27 AM
I remember seeing changes in my son when he started. He was always a very insecure child. He was also not very strong in his gross motor skills. His confidence has soared and he is now considered an "athlete" at school.

Our dojo also works on personal development, and not just developping technical skills. I forgot to mention that in my original post.