PDA

View Full Version : Vista is bust!

redring
02-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Well with my new laptop I have the newly released Vista. I will tell you it looks fabulas! All kinds of pretty and eye catching things. Some real fun stuff too. On the other hand I am haveing an hard time believeing it is out of beta. I have had an whole three-four days and already haveing issues. Earlyer today it shut down and lost my work on alices templets. And now I cant close a tab without explorer shuting down. It dose have the decency to restart immediatly and retun me to my home page. The HP games button attemps to connect to the web for games that are on my HD and then crashes the system because im not connected atm. It also shows a system error every time you shut down an aplication as if it shut its self down due to an issue. I am not sure what microsoft conciders finished but I wouldent serve you dough and call it cookies. The system has potential. but I think it still had a way to go. If your thinking of upgradeing i would wait.

babydoe
02-15-2007, 05:48 PM
I had heard that it was having all sorts of problems. My dad wanted to buy me a new computer at Christmas, but I told him I wanted to wait until the new OS was out and running. Now I think I will wait a while longer.

Terrell
02-15-2007, 07:17 PM
And THAT is why I said Vista is a four letter word around here. Depending on your software you should have the ability to deny web access to certain programs. Block your games. Also be sure to check your internet settings to make sure that nothing is contradicting itself. Programmeers love to ask you the same question two different ways so that each one gets a different answer. If you don't already have Spybot grab it, not only is it a good thing for blocking both incoming and outgoing traffic but it is also a great spyware remover. In Spybot you can go into the settings and actually tell it to not allow certain programs to load themselves up at startup. Alot of things will start on their own without even telling you. This may help lighten the bugs in Vista a little for you. Also check to make sure that your game settings are not set to start automatically. If they are you should be able to reset them to deny access or to start manually only ;) Hope this helps.:wub1:

twirlyjoy
02-15-2007, 10:56 PM
I am really interested in all of these discussions and have heard very different sides to it! I have one designer-friend who absolutely loves it and wondered how she ever managed before! And, I have also heard the other side, like you who have had problems with it! I think I'll wait a while till all the fixes re done!

redring
02-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Well actually the set up is pretty cool. I really do like a lot of what they are trying to do. I have just run into too meany buggs too soon. I really think its a bit too early to release it. and my poor lo. :( I posted on the microsoft site and I am just hopeing to be able to reload my hybernation settings to just befor the crash. Seeing as how the system saves them I think it may be posable.

macmomma
02-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Just go buy a mac and you will be much happier :)

redring
02-18-2007, 03:54 PM
lol Too late for that. Ill remember next time. Iveactually heard macs are wonderfull for grafics

Maisie
02-18-2007, 06:14 PM
My son likes it, but I think I'll wait. MS never releases anything without tons of bugs!

steph
02-19-2007, 05:35 AM

Amy, you sound like my husband!!! He is a Windows programmer, but let me tell you, he swears by his IBook! He thinks Windows sucks!!!! His words, not mine!!! LOL

Stephanie

redring
02-19-2007, 06:16 AM
STEPH!!!! Seriously?! Can he tell me how to reinstate my last hibernate sesion????? I need help. I went to the vista site but no one has answerd and the stupid live chat help dosent work. I would need to call but im out in cowland and my phone loses signal often. makes calls to companys imposable.

steph
02-19-2007, 06:26 AM
I can't guarantee anything, redring, but I will ask him! He is a huge hater of Vista, so I can't guarantee that he knows how to use it too well!!! I can't imagine that you are terribly fond of it right now either... LOL!!!

Stephanie

steph
02-19-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm still waiting for his reply, redring, but you did give him a great big smile with your line up in the first post "I don't know what Microsoft considers finished, but I wouldn't serve dough and call it cookies!" He belly laughed when he read that!!! LOL

Stephanie

redring
02-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks steph! I really aperciate you trying for me. :) Tell your DH (and I do mean dear) Thanks also even for thinking on it.

babyofmine
02-19-2007, 07:33 PM

I keep telling my DH that it will solve most of our problems, but the cost! OOOh, the cost! I know it would mean not having to buy another computer for quite some time, but sheesh! LOL My favorite TV commercials are the Mac and PC ones. To quote: "You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?" too funny!

So what did we buy today??? A new computer! And what does it have?? VISTA! ack, ack! I asked if I could downgrade, and the guy just looked at me like I was nuts. I HATED Windows ME, I think XP is okay (now that I've ironed out the kinks), and I'm dreading Vista. At least I know I'm not the only one. :twitcy:

okblues
02-19-2007, 10:55 PM
I've heard of lots of problems to be ironed out. Hearing firsthand your concerns helps redring. I think I will be waiting to upgrade.

redring
02-22-2007, 08:54 PM
:) No problem. with all the trouble im haveing I thought I would warn you all befor you managed to upgrade. :)

ScrapGrl
03-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Well, I had to buy a new laptop because my last one's screen went dead. Now I have Vista. I am not a huge fan. I too have been having issues. I took mine back to Circuit City today because it kept shutting down on me. The guy said it may be because of my mouse and external hard drive being connected. He said that a lot of things do not play well with Vista. He did some updates on drivers and so far so good on that end.

I am disappointed though because I opened up my folder of templates and I can't preview any of them unless I click on each one and wait 20-30 seconds for it to show. Which is not good. :no: I miss my Windows XP. I wish my laptop didn't die...

Don't get me wrong, LOVE LOVE LOVE the new lappy - just wish Vista was better. Updates will be coming out though so hopefully that will start to solve things...

babyofmine
03-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I can't figure out how to unzip anything!! LOL For now, I just d/l on the new 'puter and then hook the EHD to the XP 'puter and unzip. It's not the fastest way to do it, but how the heck do I unzip?? I have Winzip on the XP...
I also cannot stand not seeing any previews. grr!

BobbieB
03-04-2007, 03:07 PM
We Got a pc with Vista 3 weeks ago Knock on wood not a single problem yet

redring
03-04-2007, 03:23 PM
baby of mine, just right click on zip folder and I grt the optian to extract.

Scrapgirl, uuuggg! I know I really rely on the thumbnails. im an visual person.

bay_girl
03-12-2007, 08:52 AM
I couldnt wait for a new computer mine completely died. Because of all the bad reviews I heard about vista I went to a mac. Have to say Im really glad that I did. It was well worth the extra cost to not have to worry about all those issues.

babyofmine
03-12-2007, 11:18 AM
LOL good for you!! This new computer is really annoying. I don't see an option to extract when I right-click. I downloaded a trial of winzip, but that brings up an evaluation screen with each zip. ugh!
But do the scrapbook programs work on Mac?

ScrapGrl
03-12-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't think you can unzip in Vista. What I do is double click on the zipped file. A window comes up with all of the files in the zipped folder. I then select all the files and drag them to whatever folder I want to place them in!

Hope this helps!

bay_girl
03-14-2007, 08:56 AM
From what I have found the only program that doesnt work with Mac is PaintShop Pro. The particular mac I bought (mini) came with photoshop and elements. Mac computers were actually made for graphics.
However there is a program called parallels that you can get for mac which allows it to run just like windows. It will run both operating systems at the same time without restarting the computer. You need a copy of XP on cd though.

babydoe
03-14-2007, 09:52 AM
I am following this thread closely. I am thinking now that my next computer may very well be a Mac although I have always been a PC person. I wouldn't want to have to buy new software to digi scrap though. My PhotoShop was too expensive to start with and I am still learning to use it. And, am I reading right that the Vista won't support an EHD? I can't do without that!

babyofmine
03-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Babydoe, I have my new puter hooked up to the EHD, and they get along great! :)

Bay_girl, I had forgotten about that {Mac computers were actually made for graphics.} But as soon as I read that, I remembered OH YEAH! Our first puter was a Mac, and the 2nd and 3rd...the one my mom bought while I was in HS (she went back to college) was years ahead of the concurrent PCs.
Seriously, the only (and I do mean ONLY) reason we didn't buy a Mac this time is because we do NOT have the money. They are more expensive. I know, I know, you get what you pay for...but I would have to get the dual-core so I could run the Parallel...plus the cost of Parallel...we decided we'll have to wait another few years. Maybe after we move again.... :)

redring
03-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Uhh.... but i have vista and all I have to do is right click. I get a list that says..
Open
explore
search
Extract all...

chose extract all.
I dont know why I would have it and no one else would.:eek1

bay_girl
03-15-2007, 08:52 AM
I still love my hubbys pc! but Im becoming fond of the mac as well. I am still learning its my first one. But like I said in my research PSP (up to version 11, which is the latest at the moment) is the only program that doesnt work with mac. I know parallels is adding even more to the price and that really blows but Im working on getting it and doing a test run.
But especially for anyone using Adobe products, since the mac mini I know for sure comes with them I am sure that any and all adobe products will work on mac as well.
My downfall for a mac was the price. I am still not happy about that. Considering I had to buy a new keyboard to go with it and since I was already putting that much into it I went ahead and bought a wacom too. But the only program I use for any type of graphics work (sb and otherwise) is paint shop pro so I dont really have a choice but to invest in the parrellels program.

However I have found that there are other programs like parrellels that appear to be cheaper but the operating systems arent able to run at the same time. I'll see if I can find those programs again and get a list made up in case anyone is interested.

babyofmine
03-15-2007, 05:12 PM
re: unzipping

Maybe it's because I installed a trial of winzip, but I don't get the option to extract all. hmmm...I'm going to uninstall the trial and find out...

HEY!! That's super cool! LOL I just uninstalled the winzip trial, and now I get the option, when I right-click, to extract. Thanks for the tip, redring! :D

redring
03-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Phew! good thing too I was trying to figure out why I could and you wernt able. Glad to know you got it now.