PDA

View Full Version : Twilight, anyone?

Chanin
11-25-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm a big Twilight fan, so I just wondered how many of you out there read the books and/or watched the movie. Did you like them? What are your thoughts? Are you Team Edward or Team Jacob?

I have read all 4 books and saw the movie this past Sunday. I really liked the movie, but I like the books so much better. The movie was low budget, of course, but with all the money they are raking in on it, the next one is sure to be better!! My fav books of the series is the 1st and the 4th. How about you?

j_camargo6
11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
I read the books, and I plan on seeing the movie eventually. My daughter is seeing for the second time as we speak, LOL.

She says it is...(in her words) AMAZING!!!!!

beckag99
11-25-2008, 06:16 PM
I've read the first two books and I'm waiting for Christmas break to read #3 and #4. I just saw the movie last weekend with my husband. I definitely love the books more, but the movie was fun too! It so puts me in touch with my inner teenager. :wink: I haven't decided which team I'm for, maybe I'll join both!

Mom_of_5
11-25-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm 'Team Jacob' and my 17 yo is 'Team Edward'. We've both read all of the books. When she first asked me to read the books and said "Mom, you've got to read this. It's about vampires. It's really good.", I thought -- uh, vampires? I don't think so! Of course, the mom that I am, I read the first one anyway and discovered I liked it! Now we own all of them!

Dacy saw the movie the day it came out and told me to wait for the DVD. She did like it, but thought I shouldn't waste my money and time for a trip to the theater.

j_camargo6
11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
OH! I forgot to "declare" myself, LOL! I think I'm a Team Jacob.....I LOVE hot-blooded men, LOL! My daughter asks me that question all the time....

tweederbug
11-25-2008, 08:49 PM
I haven't seen the movie and I haven't read the books. I have no idea what it is even about. I am on a mothers forum and they all chat about Twilight .. I haven't told them that I am clueless on this ... they may kickme off the board :eek1.
One of the moms even won a contest for the grand opening of twilight lastweek with Ryan Secrest. I haven't seen it but I am sure she will be posting pics soon.

twirlyjoy
11-25-2008, 10:34 PM
I haven't read the books or seen the movie and probably won't! No real reason other than vampires aren't really my 'thing'! If one of my girls got the book and read it, then I might too, but just can't see myself going out of my way to read them! I did actually suggest to my eldest that she bought the first one the other day but they aren't really her type of book either so she refused!!

BobbieB
11-26-2008, 01:26 AM
I own and have read all the books a hundred times already.
I went to see the movie last friday. AWESOME

and I am def. Team Edward as I have a thing about Vampires

mom2snn
11-26-2008, 05:25 AM
I've read them all and even the leaked part of Midnight Sun (the author post it on her blog and website). I actually started with the last book because my husband found it at work. I was hooked and had to have the others. I'm actually re-reading them now. I'm team Edward, but I like Jacob better in the last book than I did in the rest. Someone in another mom's group that I'm in said she'd want Jacob in the winter and Edward in the summer lol.

schock77
11-26-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm on Eclipse (book 3) and LOVE the whole story so far. I read twilgiht and New Moon so fast that it didn't occur to me I was already on book 3- it just flows really well.

My husband surprised me with ticket opening night- of course there were lots of young folks (I'm 30 and felt OLD) and so there were lots of shouts, oohs and ahhs, but I enjoyed it. Of course, nowhere as good as the books, but entertaining.

As for my team... it's all fantasy anyway right, so I'm saying I want both! :P Team Edward on even days and Team Jacob on the odd days... of course the Edward and Jacob in my mind were SO much hotter than the movie versions...

Maisie
11-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I've read 3 of the 4 books. I have no 4, and haven't started it yet.
I thought 3 was very bad. In fact I can't even remember it. Me and dd went Sat. nite to see the movie. It was very good in parts, and also very cheesy in parts. I don't think I'll need to see it a second time. I do love the actor playing Edward though. I loved him in Harry Potter. He's very cute. I love Jacob, too and can't pick a team.
I'll have to start 4 so I know what's going on now.
And oh, I am 56 and dd is 31.
You're never too old for vampires and werewolves and love.

elenasworld
11-26-2008, 01:15 PM
I am still reading harry potter -- i say a few years and i might be up to twilight!:lmao:

lazyscrapper
11-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I read all the books and love them. I'm a huge vamp fan(Buffy was my obsession) I bought the first 3 books 2 weeks before the last one came out. I had all three read in a week and had to wait a week for the final book(torture)

Definately Team Edward. I felt for Jacob in the last book so I can see why people like him but Edward is the best.

Haven't seen the movie because it doesn't come out til Dec 18 here. I'm counting the days. It wasn't so bad when the movie was suppose to be released on Dec 12 states side but when they upped the release Singapore couldn't change so now I wait, and wait and wait. I'm getting tickets for opening here.

Debra
11-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I've never read the books and only heard of the movie the night my 20 year old DD said, "Let's go see it".

I really enjoyed the movie.... the scene of them playing baseball and all the visual effects were so fun..and what a romantic love story..lol..vampires or not :)

babyofmine
11-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I read the books, and LOVED the first 3. I am still on the fence about the 4th. There are things that I really liked about the 4th, but parts of it I found disturbing. Maybe cuz I'm preggo? :laugh:
I saw the movie yesterday, and I have to say, I wish I had seen it last week with the crowds. The theatre was less than 1/2 full, and it was mostly older ladies. (I really think you have to be in touch with your inner angsty-teen to "get" these books.) So, there was no shouting, not a whole lot of laughing, and I wondered if the other people even READ the books! My friend and I were laughing so hard when Edward said "I leave you alone for a minute and the wolves descend" but nobody else laughed. ugh!
anyway, I won't spoil the rest of it, but I sorta liked the movie, didn't hate it. :)

Oh, and I am and always have been Team Edward. Jacob's part in book 4 was perfect! :D

Debra
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Who's counting the days 'til New Moon?

I am! *woot

michellemomof3
11-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I am, too! Also anxiously awaiting the other 2 & the 5th book. I've read the first 4 two times in the last 2.5 months & I'm debating on starting over again very soon! I'M TOTALLY ADDICTED!

SparkysGirl
11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm a BIG Twilight fan, too! I loved the books! My youngest daughter got me started reading them ... and I read all four by the time she was halfway through the second. I think I'm more excited about the movie coming out than her ... maybe ... she's definitely a Team Jacob. Since I've read all four books ... and I know what happens in book four ... I'm thinking I'm Team Jacob, too.

The fourth book was likely my favorite, too. Chanin ... I agree with you ... the books are always better than the movie! But, I certainly love to see the book come to life on the screen.

New Moon doesn't start showing here in Virginia until November 20th!

twirlyjoy
11-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Well, I've just read back through this thread, thinking I hadn't posted in it and came across my last post!

Ummmh, well, I was wrong in that post! lol!!

I bought Emmy the first book for Christmas last year and she read it in 2 days, so I had to read it, and that was it - we are both Twilight fans in a big way! We both even have Twilight baseball hoodies! Will get some pics and post them on here!

We waited for the film to come out on DVD as I very rarely enjoy moveis made from books, and I felt the same this time. Whilst I enjoyed it as a movie in its own right, I didn't enjoy it as an interpretation of the book, if that makes sense!

I am trying to persuade Emmy (she is 13) to let me take a photo of her teeth - she has an adult tooth growing down as a 'fang' and is going to have to have braces to correct it once the baby toth has been pulled! Anyway, I want a photo so that I can scrap it with journaling along the lines of "Emmy is such a Twilight fan that she is even growing fangs to match her fave characters"!!!

twirlyjoy
11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
oh yeah, forgot to add - most definitely Team Edward!!

HollyS
11-03-2009, 12:32 PM
me me me!

While waiting, I've been working on a Twilight/New Moon themed kit!

diamndprincz
11-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I have read the first book and saw the first movie so far..and loved it. My library has the audiobooks which I listen to while I am at work. I am on the reserve list for the 2nd and 3rd books...ughh taking too long.

Love the story so far though. Only thing I hate about seeing any book made into a movie is to see actory portraying characters and I see them a totally different way in my head.

SlidingKat
11-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I am team Edward.

My favorite book in the series is Breaking Dawn, followed by Eclipse, followed by Twilight, and finally New Moon.

I have to admit I wavered between Edward and Jacob until I read Eclipse.

Oh and MOST IMPORTANT I am absolutely loving your 50% off retirement sale! I hate that you are retiring, but I'm getting some great kits from the sale.

agarzaldynrd
11-03-2009, 04:01 PM
I am still reading harry potter -- i say a few years and i might be up to twilight!:lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

you sound like me and I really should keep up since I'm surrounded by children that read these books and watch vampire type movies every day.

honu
11-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Oh yes, I love, LOVE the series. I devoured all four books in a span of 10 days this past May. You should have seen me, for my lunch break I would lock myself in my classroom reading as much as I could and then stay up as late as I could reading some more!

I can't wait for New Moon to come out, we have a furlough friday on Nov 20th so I'll be seeing it at midnight for sure :) I agree that the book Twilight was much, much better than the movie. I was a little disappointed that they didn't play up the meadow scene more, that was such a romantic part of the book and I really looked forward to that part as I was watching the movie. The director did do a good job of capturing the intensity of their relationship though and that I was happy with.

My favorite? Twilight and Breaking Dawn for sure :) TEAM EDWARD all the way!!
:love-smiley-011:

honu
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM
me me me!

While waiting, I've been working on a Twilight/New Moon themed kit!

OOOHHH!!! Yay :love-smiley-011::love-smiley-011::love-smiley-011:
I'll have to restrain myself from PMing you to ask if you are finished yet like an excited five year old child, hee hee

jhyll
11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Have read all the books and the bad news is that once you read the series is is difficult to pick up another author. The series is BRILLIANT. I am an Edward fan all the way!! Have just finished The Host also by Stephenie Meyer and that is probably my favorite book of hers. Quite different to the Twilight series but so completely and totally brilliant. What an amazing author!!! I downloaded the 'leaked' Midnight Sun from her web site and have started reading that as well. Can't get enough of Stephenie Meyer LOL!

lazyscrapper
11-04-2009, 12:24 AM
I can't wait for the movie to come out. It doesn't premiere here til Dec 3rd. I so wish we were in the US right now.

I didn't even know there was another book?!!? I've read the series about 5 or 6 times since last Sept. Even keeps saying"you are reading taht again" they are just so good I lose myself in them.

I hope New Moon is better than Twilight, movie wise. It was too artsy/indie for me and I hated the way they made Edward look painful. I mean i know he is suffering but he didn't need to look constipated. LOL.

Chanin
11-04-2009, 04:58 AM
I can't wait for the movie! I just decorated my blog with a New Moon Blogger Theme that Flergs made!!! lol My husband thinks I'm nuts!!

MYLEIGH
11-04-2009, 06:06 AM
I haven't read the books YET...I have to beg my 15 year old daughter to loan them to me first :D I have seen the movie and LOVE IT! I watch it about once a week. If I'm not watching it one of my girls usually is. They both have their tickets to the midnight showing. I was going to tag-a-long but thought I would wait till the following day to go with the whole family. They need their "sister bonding" time. We got their dad into the movie and he can't wait to see the next one :D

The girls and I are TEAM EDWARD! And the men in the house are TEAM JACOB!

I am looking forward to any Twilight kits I can get my hands on :D I have on my digi-scrap To Do List: Make Twilight scrap pages for my girls, my sister and niece for Christmas :D

donakat
11-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Well, after hearing all you ladies have to say, I guess I'll have to go read the books. I have been missing something since the Harry Potter series finished.:laugh: And Holly, that kit sounds great!

O2BNGdHope
11-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Team Edward here, of course! I mean......Jacob was just a KID. LOL! I felt sorry for him but didn't really start liking him until book 4. I agree that I was slightly disappointed in the movie. Watched the DVD at home by myself and kept my mouth shut while watching it again with my 23 year old daughter. She LOVED it! After it was over, I told her how much was missing and made her read the book. She agreed with me then that the book was OH so much better. I really LIKED knowing what everyone was thinking which was missing in the movie.

Didn't hear about book 5 so I'm REALLY glad I stopped in here. Of course, Nov 20th, my daughters and I are hiring babysitters and going to the movies!!!!!

Debra
11-11-2009, 05:29 AM
ok.. I found something yesterday and wanted to share... This is the audio book for New Moon... !! I'm having a ball working and listening to it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN0m31J6iSU&feature=PlayList&p=971DB5D6C52536B0&index=0&playnext=1

note: After you finish with part 1, look over to the right and click part 2 - mine then began to play the additional parts automatically :)

what do you think?

HollyS
11-12-2009, 04:57 AM
that's cool Deb!

Man, i'm so in a "Twilight" mood between waiting patiently for the movie and finishing designing my themed kit!

Has anyone checked out the soundtrack for New Moon yet? Do you like it? I absolutely love the soundtrack for the Twilight movie so have high hopes for New Moon's too!

MYLEIGH
11-12-2009, 06:58 AM
that's cool Deb!

Man, i'm so in a "Twilight" mood between waiting patiently for the movie and finishing designing my themed kit!

Has anyone checked out the soundtrack for New Moon yet? Do you like it? I absolutely love the soundtrack for the Twilight movie so have high hopes for New Moon's too!

I've heard the New Moon soundtrack and I love it! My daughter has it playing in her car every time I go anywhere with her :D There are a lot of NEW artists on the soundtrack. I think its the perfect soundtrack for the movie! Track 1 - Meet Me On The Equinox is my favorite :D I can't wait to see your themed kit! *woot

MYLEIGH
11-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Must be my lucky day! After posting my last comment I went to turn on the cd player and guess what started playing?!?!? The New Moon Soundtrack :laugh:
Ashley FINALLY took the cd out of her car! I'm dancing in my PJ's now :gogo:

diamndprincz
11-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Did anyone see Stephanie Meyer on Oprah today??
My sister woke me up to tell me she was on (I forgot) and I just haddd to DVR.
I am just amazed by her story...she said it all started from a dream.

I just finished listening to Book 2 today and am sooo excited for next week....I am afraid to go see it, opening week..fear of crowds..but I might have to try to go during the day Saturday.... oohh..too excited. I haven't heard the soundtrack...will have to check that out on iTunes.

kcsimpson99
11-13-2009, 03:07 PM
TEAM Edward!!
I just finished reading the first book, but have seen the movie twice before reading the book. I am starting the NEW MOON book now, and will have that read by the end of the weekend.

New Moon comes out next Friday here, but I'm not sure when I will see it. It will be interesting this time, to read the book first and then see the movie after.

I thought the movie was very good, but it could have been much LONGER to include all of the things that were left out!! It is interesting to picture the actors as I read, I wonder how I would have pictured Edward in my mind, had I not seen the movie first.

I think the appeal of the book is the teen angst and feelings that we all used to have...forbidden passion, etc. I LOVE it...flows so well when reading and is a great escape from reality :)

So I guess there is a fifth book? Hmmm...

Also, I am on the fence about letting Allyson read Twilight. She is 10. What do you ladies think? She has NOT seen the movie and will not see New Moon yet...too violent, but I think she could handle the book...:eek1

twirlyjoy
11-14-2009, 01:36 AM
Also, I am on the fence about letting Allyson read Twilight. She is 10. What do you ladies think? She has NOT seen the movie and will not see New Moon yet...too violent, but I think she could handle the book...:eek1

I have a 9 year old who is desperate to read the books but I won't let her, despite the fact that she is able! Although Twilight itself would be ok, there are parts in the other books where their relationship is taken further, which I wouldn't want her reading. She is feeling very left out though as my 12 and 13 year olds have both read them!

Debra
11-22-2009, 03:28 PM
off to see New Moon tonight with my BFF (hehe..love that teen expression)

Can't wait!

lazyscrapper
11-27-2009, 03:04 AM
I get to see New Moon tomorrow. Singapore is doing a "Sneak Peak" of the movie before the "official" premiere next week. I don't care it's the same thing I get to see it one week early. I can't wait.

jhyll
11-27-2009, 05:49 AM
I get to see New Moon tomorrow. Singapore is doing a "Sneak Peak" of the movie before the "official" premiere next week. I don't care it's the same thing I get to see it one week early. I can't wait.

Wow! You live in Singapore! One of my most favourite places. Have visited 7 times and always want to go back lol! Is your husband there on contract?

angmag55
11-27-2009, 10:09 AM
They were the best series of books I have read in a very long time!! My Favorite books were the 1st and the last and I really hope she comes up with a new series using the new character in the last book!! Loved the Movie but not as well as the books!!

lazyscrapper
11-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Wow! You live in Singapore! One of my most favourite places. Have visited 7 times and always want to go back lol! Is your husband there on contract?

Yeah it is kinda nice most of the time, but certain things I miss the states. We came orginally on my husband's contract but he changed jobs so now we are basically local.

I saw the movie and it was great. I so want to see it again. I was a little weirded out seeing families with young kids(5-6) coming to the movie. Singapore is just strange sometimes. But I will go during the day next time so kids will be in school.

Debra
12-02-2009, 06:51 AM
So, how did you like New Moon?

I thought it was pretty good.. I can see where the books would be so much better though.. can't wait to start the third one!

Surfs Up
12-07-2009, 10:33 AM
For all of you that are not vamp fans.......read the books anyway!!! They are some of the best written books of our time!! Many that are not big vampire fans have enjoyed the books simply because the author knows how to tell a great story. I am reading her novel "The Host" and I am not an alien fan, but if I let that stop me from reading this book, boy would I be missing out!!! As for the movie "New Moon", I did go to see it....big waste of money......LOL. Like I said, its the written story that captured all my attention. If you haven't read them....please do, you will be glad you did!

jhyll
12-08-2009, 10:08 AM
I so agree with everything you have said. Stephenie Meyer is a phenominal author and personally I think out of all her books I enjoyed 'The Host' the most. I have also been very dissapointed with the movies, much prefering the books!

For all of you that are not vamp fans.......read the books anyway!!! They are some of the best written books of our time!! Many that are not big vampire fans have enjoyed the books simply because the author knows how to tell a great story. I am reading her novel "The Host" and I am not an alien fan, but if I let that stop me from reading this book, boy would I be missing out!!! As for the movie "New Moon", I did go to see it....big waste of money......LOL. Like I said, its the written story that captured all my attention. If you haven't read them....please do, you will be glad you did!

triciacurtis
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I started to read the first book and got sidetracked, haven't gotten back to it yet. But I will! But I've been told by a few people not to see the movie even after reading the books, and to only read the books, what do you think? I wanted to rent the first movie, but only after I finish the book.

diamndprincz
12-10-2009, 04:39 AM
I started and finished the series this year. After the first book I watched the movie. I watched basically to see their interpretation. The movie gave me a chance to see how the author envisioned the characters and that's why I enjoyed it. No movie will ever be exactly identical to a book but it was still the same storyline and the characters I loved when I read the book, I loved just the same after the movies. I would say see the movies after you read for your own curiousity. Now the 2nd movie is better than the first for 3 reasons: they learned from the first, had a larger budget, and the director actually knew the story and consulted with Stefanie M. throughout production.

ScrapNLife
12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
I read all 4 books before I saw the movie. I am Team Edward. My favorite book was New Moon. I watched Twilight and New Moon in the theaters and personally liked New Moon better. Still the movies are not that great. The best part of the books for me was Bella's inner dialogue which you don't get in the films. I loved her thoughts. The film you don't have that and Kristen Stewart might look like Bella but my Bella had much more depth and emotion. When Bella loses Edward in New Moon it was supposed to be gut wrenching something that tore at her and you. Kristen fell way short of this. She just was blank. She should have looked like her world was crushed beyond repair and it should have been evident to every person she came in contact with that she was a shell of herself.

donakat
12-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Well, I did it, I read the first two books over my Christmas trip to my family. I liked the books and will go ahead and read the next two soon, so I can see how they resolve this. The whole Romeo & Juliet theme is an interesting parallel, tho Stephenie Meyer is no Shakespeare, but it was a clever idea to substitute vamps and werewolves for the warring families. I don't think I'll actually go see the movies from what I hear from you all, I'll just let myself imagine the characters. My daughter pointed out that Robert Pattinson played Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter film--I didn't remember that.

Roccof75
01-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I LOVE Twilight! I know most guys dont but i do! I finished al the books after Breaking Dawn came out. I was team Edward theentire time. :biggrin:

Scrappinsass
01-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I first learned about *Twilight* from this site but we don't have the TV series yet and I've not seen the book about the shops yet either. It's on my wish list for hubby to get the books for me as gifts. From what I've seen and read it's a topic for reading that's just up my alley! :biggrin:

sweethussie
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I've seen both movies but that's it; Now my daughter in-law has the books, movies, and I bought her the board game and the blanket for Christmas, she also got the calender and the character. She's obsessed. The movie was preyty good, First was better then the second one thou.

diamndprincz
01-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I know I may be crazy...but just now, I was excited to find out "Edward and Bella" made it to Jeopardy. They asked in which novel of the Twilight saga did Edward and Bella get married. Okay..silly moment over...hope everyone is having a good day!

Debera
01-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I've read all four and for me they are great if your a tween, by the fourth book with the talking vampire baby I lost interest. There is a tv knock-off on the CW based loosly on the Vampire Dairies (another tween saga)
I am surprised that know one here has come up with a Twilight Kit. I know the girls would just love it as long as it wasn't too "dark"*wantmore

twirlyjoy
01-14-2010, 11:03 AM
I am surprised that know one here has come up with a Twilight Kit. I know the girls would just love it as long as it wasn't too "dark"*wantmore

Actually, Holly has this fantabulous Twilight inspired kit here (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_dnld_info&cPath=29_72&products_id=5372)

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/images/medium/holly/ha_forbiddenlove_MED.jpg

Debera
01-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah!
It looked beautiful, going to get it now

Gosh, everyone is so nice here :biggrin:

Surfs Up
01-25-2010, 06:23 PM
For those of you that don't know and I didn't see anyone post about it and if I missed it.....sorry, But..S.M. put a few chapters of a version (of a new book she is working on from Edwards eyes) on her web site. I have not looked recently, but it was there last Fall. I really can't wait to read it all and hope she does finish it, as what I did read was amazing!!! So different from the unsure, naive Bella. :wink: And I certainly do hope that they make a film out of The Host with a really great director!

Debera
01-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I have heard about these "chapters"
Do you have a link to the site?

dylabel
01-26-2010, 12:30 PM
http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

Debera
01-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Thank You!:wink:

Roccof75
02-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I am a huge Twilight fan! Team Edward!!!