PDA

View Full Version : Paper scrapping

christellevandyk
10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
In about 2 weeks' time I'm going to do paper scrapping for the first time EVER :twitcy:!! I got a crash course yesterday (about 10 mins) in what tools do what... HELP!! I'm attending a scrapping day (in WAAAY over my head!!) and have been told to bring basic scrapping tools - guess my pc won't count - the rest of the supplies will be given to us there.

Any tips?? Even just someone holding thumbs will do the trick.... :confused1:

elenasworld
10-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Good Luck!
Usually the basic supplies are papers, glue, tape, scissors or cutting device (I usually use a rotary cutter and self healing mat) , pencil, photos, and any other embellishments you like to use -- ribbons, brads, photo corners, stickers, tags, glitter, chalks, inks

You dont need all the embellies or fancy tools to start. You can get away with papers, photos, and adhesive. Everything else is pretty much how you want to decorate your page.

I love rubber stamping, so I have all those supplies that do double duty. My paper scrapping usually involves stamping, inks, watercolor crayons/pencils, and lots of layering of mats and frames.

I hope you have a good time.
I know there are lots of other paper scrappers out there who would have more tips for you.

britnkaysmemaw2
10-25-2008, 05:43 PM
You can buy the basic kits anywhere scrapbook supplies are sold. I tried paper scrapping while on vacation, but it is just not for me. I prefer my digi scrapping any day. Good luck and have fun.

TammyM
10-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Most groups are fine with digital scrappers bringing a laptop unless the sole purpose is to sell paper products.

I've been invited to several and they all say they think it would be fun to see someone do digi-scrapping.
What a hoot!

Andrea
10-25-2008, 08:36 PM
I wish I could give you some advice, but my decorative scissors are in the toy box at my house. I'd be pretty lost without my PC! :laugh:

scrubbie
10-26-2008, 04:17 AM
I taught beginner courses in scrappin' for a very long time and gettin' started is a snap. Everyone has suggested the basics: adhesive (I like tape runners or somethin called ZIP DRY), ruler/straight edge (12"), pencil, cutter (rotary or a 'paper trimmer' (Fiskars or other company - Scrubbie likes Fiskars), 3 or 4 photos of similar theme (all a birthday or whatever)... and that's about all I had beginners bring along for their first foray out into the paper world. Like the space on your hard-drive, bags and rolling totes and shoulder totes all fill up pretty quick!

christellevandyk
10-26-2008, 04:21 AM
Thanx for the tips ladies and gent! I'll have to post some pics of my first try when I come back... But keep the tips coming! :twitcy:

babyofmine
10-26-2008, 07:08 AM
why not take the computer anyway? :laugh: I bet you could get a few to the dark side... :wink:
But to hold everything, I would suggest something with wheels that you can pull behind you (I got my wheeled cart at office depot for $10). Things don't "seem" heavy, but if you have to carry them for long, you arms will be wanting something wheeled...not to mention your sore back!

christellevandyk
11-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Just thought I'd show you girls ( & guy) a few of my pages - in progress - from my VERY first paper scrapping! What fun we had! Thank you for all the good tips and advice - it sure helped a lot.... :vb_chirolp_iei:

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r356/christellevandyk/IMG_4322300x450.jpg
http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r356/christellevandyk/IMG_4327300x225.jpghttp://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r356/christellevandyk/IMG_4333300x225.jpg
http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r356/christellevandyk/IMG_4337300x225.jpg

elenasworld
11-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Wow! They are great! I wouldn't have thought it was your first paper scrapping attempt!
I do miss the textures and the dimensionality in paper scrapping -- all those bits of lace and thread you used are awesome. Love the butterfly!
You are a natural!

christellevandyk
11-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I have to add that we did get wonderful guidance from the 2 ladies presenting the scrapping class. Without them I would've been completely lost!

j_camargo6
11-21-2008, 12:49 PM
AWESOME!! They look fantastic, Christelle!

britnkaysmemaw2
11-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Great job. Glad you enjoyed it.

scrappintwins
11-21-2008, 08:46 PM
WOW girl! You did an awesome job!