PDA

View Full Version : HINT and KNOWLEDGE #2 - DREAMMY LOOK

precious
09-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Ok i use a lot of dreamy look (thats what i call it) effect. Again, this is all in photoshop but those who use PSP can figure it out too, its very simple =)
This is photo before and after.
BEFORE
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/miss_moscow_russia/DSC06710.jpg
AFTER
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/miss_moscow_russia/4x606.jpg
Ok i start with fixing exposure look (see my previous lesson that is located in CHAT forum).
1. When you are done with exposure make everything one layer (combine them all). Duplicate the layer.
2. Make the top layer 50% opacity, and go to Filters > Blure > Gaussian Blure and move the level there to the point when you like it the most. Dont look at your main object beaing blurry - we will make it back to being sharp - consentrate on everyting else - like nature around it. When you like the surrounding click OK.
3. Now get the eraser and erase what you need to be sharp - like i did - i erased people and banch and floor.
4. Thats not all! we can inhance it even more! select the top layer (i call it Half-Way-See-Through layer because it is 50% opacity and y ou can see through it). Select that and go to Image>Adjustment>Hue and Saturation and move Saturation levels to the right - you will have more colors in your dreammy look =)
5. You need to make it pop so go ahead and select bottom (original layer) and adjust Contast. I normally boost contarst to +10. That will pop your image natually. You can also contrast your top layer (just see what looks good for the image)...Contrast, Saturation, Levels is the main 3 things i play around and see what results can be achieved with those 3...
6. Dont forget to sharpen your original (bottom layer) too =)
GOOD LUCK!!

Share your photos here. Dont forget to enclude BEFORE and AFTER as well =)

mosser77
09-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks so much for posting these tips! I am going to make more of an effort to make my pictures purty before I slap them on a layout :)

Veronica
09-20-2008, 02:46 AM
Thanks so much for posting this Katia!!! I am definately going to try this effect!! Please keep the photography hints coming!!!!!!!

HollyS
09-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Wow...........thank you so much for providing this tip! The after is beautiful! I'll assemble a list of threads to put on our tuturial page....and this one will be a great addition!

Ina
09-20-2008, 03:58 AM
Again just amazing tutorial! I hope I'll have time soon to try these out. Thank you!:)

Debra
09-20-2008, 04:04 AM
Precious... another great one...thanks so much for sharing!

j_camargo6
09-20-2008, 04:14 AM
Beautiful result! What a fantastic photo effect! Thank you for sharing!

precious
09-20-2008, 05:13 AM
where are your photos? i was hoping to see your sampels here too =)

britnkaysmemaw2
09-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Awesome tips. Will have to try it for sure.

And Holly, putting a list together on the tutorial page would be wonderful, thanks!

emst
09-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I'll stick with the first one the second photo looks too blurry for me, not dreamy at all, and you don't need to respond we all have our own personal opinions on likes and dislikes and I don't like what you've done with the photo.

precious
09-20-2008, 09:38 AM
I'll stick with the first one the second photo looks too blurry for me, not dreamy at all, and you don't need to respond we all have our own personal opinions on likes and dislikes and I don't like what you've done with the photo.

I dont think you had to respond if you dont like it. it is rude and would hurt feelings. If you dont have anytihng good to say just skip the thread and move along. People who like it will apreciate it and people who dont would not even bother to learn.

mosser77
09-20-2008, 10:09 AM
LOL, I tried this and I need a lot more practice - mine didn't come out nearly as cool as yours!

precious
09-20-2008, 10:12 AM
let us see =) all you had to do is duplicate layers, make top one 50% opacite, apply a bit of a blur and erase your subject to be sharp again. i must add it works best when nature is around,,,

mosser77
09-20-2008, 10:15 AM
I trashed it already but I'll put the next one up. I think a lot of it has to do with the photo...I'm going to hunt for a better one. The one I used didn't have enough depth to be that dramatic. Your directions were awesome, it's the student that is the problem! :)

precious
09-20-2008, 10:20 AM
I trashed it already but I'll put the next one up. I think a lot of it has to do with the photo...I'm going to hunt for a better one. The one I used didn't have enough depth to be that dramatic. Your directions were awesome, it's the student that is the problem! :)
well no you probably chose not the best kinda photo for it...see, you cant apply same action to ALL types of photos...they need to match...some stuff goes great with sertain types of photos and if you apply it to another photo it just doesnt look right...Nature photo would look good with it.

HollyS
09-21-2008, 08:56 AM

Elaine, GDS prides itself on being a friendly community as you are very aware. It was great for Precious to share a technique with the community and it's very appreciated. Please refrain from this kind of negativity at GDS.

Veronica
09-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Well, I took the plunge - I tried it. I don't think it turned out as well as yours- I think another photo would have been better, but I still love the look.

Before :

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg229/veronicahurly/cousins.jpg

After :

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg229/veronicahurly/cousins-altered.jpg

precious
09-22-2008, 12:48 AM
I love it! i think it makes your kids very stand out like this. Kinda gives it a seperation feeling. And keeps the background be less busy.
Also try to apply more contrast (Image>Adjustable>brightness/contrast). That also will help with make your kids stand out even more =)
You did awesome!

Anemona
09-22-2008, 06:40 PM
This is great Precious. I used it on a few wedding pics, made the couple stand out. They turned out perfect

Veronica
09-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I love it! i think it makes your kids very stand out like this. Kinda gives it a seperation feeling. And keeps the background be less busy.
Also try to apply more contrast (Image>Adjustable>brightness/contrast). That also will help with make your kids stand out even more =)
You did awesome!

Thanks Precious, I'll try more contrast next time!

Debra
09-23-2008, 02:09 AM
veronica... too cute!! love the dreamy look and the casualness of everyone in their bare feet....

Debra
09-23-2008, 02:10 AM
This is great Precious. I used it on a few wedding pics, made the couple stand out. They turned out perfect

and you know we are dying to see, especially since they're "wedding" photos...time for you to break em out and share woman!! :biggrin:

Anemona
09-23-2008, 07:48 AM
I havent received the final prints yet. But I have a few to play with. This one I did not like since we seem to serious and people in the back dont look their best. So I decided to usePrecious technique...
I liked the result. I have many pics that we look good but on the background people are walking arround preparing stuff for the christening of our son that took place right after the wedding. So Precious technique will become handy.
So here I am...
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/digitalanemona/IMG_0106c.jpg

j_camargo6
09-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Anemona, those are beautiful! What a LOVELY dress! Hearty congratulations on your marriage!

Debra
09-23-2008, 08:23 AM
I am so tickled to see a wedding pic! You gave me big smiles this morning... He's handsome and you are just beautiful! I just love evening weddings, so romantic! The effect really does give it that dreamy look!

Thanks for sharing :love-smiley-011:

precious
09-23-2008, 08:32 AM
i think this nifty technique makes believe that you have a very expencive lens =) i love how it makes look even more professioanal..when i saw your wedding edit my thoughts were "this is what you would get from a high pay photograrpher"..awesome!

ABitDaffy
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Anemona, you are an absolutely gorgeous bride! I love your dress - it's breathtaking!

i think this nifty technique makes believe that you have a very expencive lens =) i love how it makes look even more professioanal..when i saw your wedding edit my thoughts were "this is what you would get from a high pay photograrpher"..awesome!

That's just what I was thinking. I have always loved this technique - I used to use it all the time before I got the portrait lens for my camera. It's still a fun thing to do and since I have to shoot at a higher f-stop with my macro lens, I need to be using it again :twitcy:

Here's my take on the dreamy look:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/journal7/Butterfly.jpg

And, on a bit different note, you can use the same technique in a completely different way. You can use it to suggest motion instead of romance. Like this (the top pic is the original, the bottom with the blur):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/journal7/Nascar.jpg

The only thing I did differently from Precious' instructions was to use a Motion Blur instead of a Guassian blur.

In the for what's its worth department, I use PSP so you can definately do this technique what that program. :laugh:

precious
09-23-2008, 08:59 AM
omg that is very neat about motion blur! thank you so much for this tip!!

Anemona
09-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks girls.
:rolleyes1::biggrin: So glad you liked my picture. The motion blur is a great idea!!!!
We should create a section on photo tips and technics. Its very usefull. After all without photos there would be no scrapbooking

Veronica
09-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Anemona, you looked beautiful on your wedding day! Can't wait to see more pics! And what a great idea to blur out all the distracting background- what a wonderful effect!

Love your butterfly ABitDaffy! - your first picture is also gorgeous too by the way! and the motion blur- thanks for that great tip- I can really use that on so many of my photos of my kids!

I agree- we need a photogrpahy section here at GDS!!

precious
09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
lol who said you cant do it on kids? lol
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e157/miss_moscow_russia/cardfront8drh2.jpg
my business card but with this new affect lol....(my card doesnt have motion blur on it but this does ) lol
Kinda makes it think that kids are everywhere at ones...

twirlyjoy
09-24-2008, 10:28 PM
wow these are gorgeous examples- Anemona, you make a stunning couple!

I was having a bit of a play yesterday but need to finish them off cos want to tweak them a little bit, as am not quite 100% happy with them yet!

HollyS
09-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks girls.
:rolleyes1::biggrin: So glad you liked my picture. The motion blur is a great idea!!!!
We should create a section on photo tips and technics. Its very usefull. After all without photos there would be no scrapbooking

Hey, just chiming in here that we do have a Photography forum if you just scroll down more on our Forum home page :)

HollyS
09-26-2008, 06:26 AM
I havent received the final prints yet. But I have a few to play with. This one I did not like since we seem to serious and people in the back dont look their best. So I decided to usePrecious technique...
I liked the result. I have many pics that we look good but on the background people are walking arround preparing stuff for the christening of our son that took place right after the wedding. So Precious technique will become handy.
So here I am...
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/digitalanemona/IMG_0106c.jpg

You are such a beautiful bride! What you did with the photo is magnificent!

HollyS
09-26-2008, 06:27 AM
Daphne, your photo adjustments are amazing too! Thanks for sharing the motion blur tip too!

OneMemory
09-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Ok here are mine:
Original
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc30/AlishaShaw/Photography/ringoriginal.jpg

Dreamy One
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc30/AlishaShaw/Photography/ringdreamy.jpg

So fun to play with! I'm not super good yet, so I'll keep working on it.
Thanks so much for teaching us!

j_camargo6
09-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Gorgeous photo Alisha! I love it with the effect!

Anuhea35
10-07-2008, 12:52 AM
This is some wonderful tips, thank you. Im always on the look out for people who are willing to help !!

lanesmom
11-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Wow Katia I finally found this technique...I love this efect and the photos are all awesome...Beautiful job ladies...

makingmemories
05-15-2009, 11:06 AM

I don't know how long this post was made, and I am new around here, so I have been just searching through looking at all the beautiful creative Layouts, photos, and designs that all of you ladies have been making. I came across this post becuase I wanted to see a few pointers on photography and photoshop. I never thought I would come across this...I just wanted to point out that you are right that we all have our likes and dislikes...but I don't think that she was posting this thread for opinions on whether you liked it or not. I believe her intention was directed towards educating those of us who do like the effect, on how to accomplish it. Sometimes you should just keep your dislikes to yourself. Further more I believe most of us, alumni or newbies, would aggree that your post was not received well and was just plain mean. I thought we were to supposed to lift our neighbors high with encouragement...not strike them down with such comments as your, all because you didn't like it. Lesson learned here....If you don't have anything nice to say...DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL....

GOD BLESS YOU AND HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!