PDA

View Full Version : Let's Share Our Photo Tips

Debra
09-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

Since we are digi-scrappers... of course we need the best pics we can get, right?!

So let's share what we know..lol... if anything about taking better photos...

Here's one from me. I'm using microsoft vista and use the photo program that came with it. I open up each photo and do the "Auto Fix"... very simple.

Here's a Comparison... 1st Photo is before Correction.. 2nd Photo is after.

j_camargo6
09-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Darling photos! What a difference!

mosser77
09-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow! That's awesome - thanks for the tip!!

I dunno if I have any wisdom in this topic, but I am a big Picasa fan (cuz it is FREE! Yay for Google!) and they have Picasa 3 out now. Before, you had to use the mouse to select the redeye area you wanted to correct, but the new version has auto correct for redeye. I'm all about fixing stuff with the click of one button :)

elenasworld
09-15-2008, 01:58 PM
That is cool Debra!
I use Picasa too -- love the web albums and being able to share online with my family.
I like some of the easy things -- like b&w and sepia, stuff that would take time or actions for me to do in Photoshop

One thing I did learn in reading a Photoshop guide (for dummies) was that most digital prints need "sharpening" The photographer who wrote the book suggests using "unsharp" vs. the sharpening feature. It really is a big difference when you see the two side by side.

I will try to get some before and afters snaps on here (right now I dont have Photoshop loaded, and I have to get dinner going)

Debra
09-15-2008, 07:03 PM
That is cool Debra!
I use Picasa too -- love the web albums and being able to share online with my family.
I like some of the easy things -- like b&w and sepia, stuff that would take time or actions for me to do in Photoshop

One thing I did learn in reading a Photoshop guide (for dummies) was that most digital prints need "sharpening" The photographer who wrote the book suggests using "unsharp" vs. the sharpening feature. It really is a big difference when you see the two side by side.

I will try to get some before and afters snaps on here (right now I dont have Photoshop loaded, and I have to get dinner going)

Great Tip Liz....Thanks!

MomTo3Boys
09-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Ladies I appreciate your tips Thank you for taking the time.

Debra: Do you know the name of the program that came with your vista? I don't recall any image program coming with mine. Then again I have so many different programs on this computer for work, the kids have snuck a few on etc. It could be sitting there just waiting to be used. Lol

Debra
09-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Ladies I appreciate your tips Thank you for taking the time.

Debra: Do you know the name of the program that came with your vista? I don't recall any image program coming with mine. Then again I have so many different programs on this computer for work, the kids have snuck a few on etc. It could be sitting there just waiting to be used. Lol

I think it's just part of the Vista program... If you go to your start menu and then to "Picture" and go into your pictures and double click on any pic, if you haven't changed your default settings then it should take you into the "windows photo gallery" - there at the top, one of the choices is "Fix", click that and then over on the righthand side you'll see a few choices there where you can "auto adjust" , "Adjust exposure", "adjust color", "crop picture" and "fix red eye"... I mainly use the "Auto Adjust"... Hope this helps..it's easy :wink:

OneMemory
09-16-2008, 03:14 PM
One thing that really helps anyone who uses a point and shoot digital camera, is to adjust the levels in photoshop. Your digital camera gives your photos a hint of gray/blue. If you adjust the left slider a little to the right and the right slider a little to the left, it helps take out the gray.
(the more formal trick is to hold down the alt key when you move the sliders as I've mentioned and when you see a hint of color, you know you are at the right spot)

MomTo3Boys
09-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Wow the tips seem so easy but they make such a difference. So many of my pics are older point and shoot camera and it takes me forever to get them to look ok for a layout. Thank You!

Debra thanks for your quick reply... I FOUND IT! It's amazing what is right at my fingertips and I didn't even see it.

britnkaysmemaw2
09-17-2008, 06:34 PM
I just upgraded to PSE 6, and I am having a super fun time with photo corrections in it. The Auto Smart Fix does an amazing job, as well as the Auto Red Eye. Click a button and Red Eye is gone! And the thing I love most is the Magic Extractor. Just a few clicks of the mouse and your extraction is done for you!!!!!!

precious
09-17-2008, 09:01 PM
i just use good old Photoshop...my workflow is pretty much the same for everything:
1. correct white balance with photoshop plug in
2. then adjust levels to make it more lighter if needed
3. then i do noise reduction
4. sharpness

thats pretty much it =)

tweederbug
09-18-2008, 04:03 AM
I pretty much use photoshop for everything. I also think that a white balance enhances your photos but I don't have a plugin so I use a method in CS2 .. not sure if it works in the other photoshops but this is how I do it.
I open up my photo:
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/tweederbug2005/4x6original.jpg

Then I go to the layers pallette. At the bottom there is a circle should be half black half white. Click on the circle it should give you options .. scroll down to levels. Click on levels. You should have a window come up where you can adjust the levels. Now, at the bottom right is 3 eyedroppers. Click on the lastone .. right side. After you click on that find an area in your picture that is white and click that with the eyedropper. Your picture should now be whiter and brighter. You will have to adjust your photo which gives you the option in the layers pallette. When you like the results,merge the 2 together. Here is my finished product:
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/tweederbug2005/4x6fixed.jpg

Sorry that they are big .. photobucket wouldn't let me adjust the size. Hope this is of use to you.
Sheila

Debra
09-19-2008, 05:31 AM
i just use good old Photoshop...my workflow is pretty much the same for everything:
1. correct white balance with photoshop plug in
2. then adjust levels to make it more lighter if needed
3. then i do noise reduction
4. sharpness

thats pretty much it =)

That plug in sounds like something that could be very useful to correct white balance... can you expand on that one a little? thanks :)

Debra
09-19-2008, 05:32 AM
I pretty much use photoshop for everything. I also think that a white balance enhances your photos but I don't have a plugin so I use a method in CS2 .. not sure if it works in the other photoshops but this is how I do it.
I open up my photo:
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/tweederbug2005/4x6original.jpg

Then I go to the layers pallette. At the bottom there is a circle should be half black half white. Click on the circle it should give you options .. scroll down to levels. Click on levels. You should have a window come up where you can adjust the levels. Now, at the bottom right is 3 eyedroppers. Click on the lastone .. right side. After you click on that find an area in your picture that is white and click that with the eyedropper. Your picture should now be whiter and brighter. You will have to adjust your photo which gives you the option in the layers pallette. When you like the results,merge the 2 together. Here is my finished product:
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/tweederbug2005/4x6fixed.jpg

Sorry that they are big .. photobucket wouldn't let me adjust the size. Hope this is of use to you.
Sheila

Wow..they really are brighter!

tweederbug
09-19-2008, 06:11 AM
I love the look of vignette around a photo. I was tired of using the burn tool and this is what I came up with:
Open photo .. I use CS2 not sure if this works in any other Photoshop but you could look.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/tweederbug2005/4x6-1.jpg
This photo is bland ... so to add a vignette to it. Go to filters>distort>lens correction. When the window opens,you should see where it says vignette and then you can adjust the depth of your vignette. This is my final product. Hope that you can see the difference that it makes to my photo.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc218/tweederbug2005/4x6-1copy.jpg

ABitDaffy
09-19-2008, 06:37 AM
Like Liz said, Unsharp Mask (or Defog is what I think Photoshop calls it) is something that I do on almost every picture that I use to scrap with. It makes a subtle difference, but it really helps.

Here's an example. The top has one has no sharpening and the bottom has an Unsharp Mask with the following settings:
Radius 6
Strength 80
Clipping 5

I think the Unsharp Mask really makes eye sparkle a little more and the colors pop off the page a little more.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y132/journal7/UnsharpMask.jpg

I'm still having trouble using my external flash to get the results that I want, so I find myself using the Fill Flash and Backlighting settings in PSP a lot. A lot of times, I'll have my subject fairly well exposed but my background will be blown out and those two settings help me get the look I'm going for.

I love photo tips! Sheila, that vignetting tip is awesome!

precious
09-19-2008, 08:55 AM
when my kids go for a nap i will post more of my workflow...i will do it in seperate thread so look forward to it =) more of my secret tips coming =)

Debra
09-19-2008, 11:16 AM
when my kids go for a nap i will post more of my workflow...i will do it in seperate thread so look forward to it =) more of my secret tips coming =)

oh boy.. can't wait!!

twirlyjoy
09-19-2008, 12:14 PM
How on earth did I manage to miss all these posts??!

I don't have any tips to share right now, but love the ones that have been shared so far - will certainly be keeping an eye here - thanks everyone :)

Helen
09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
One thing I do on almost every photo in Photoshop is the following.
It was also the first action I ever made too - since I do it a lot.

Duplicate photo layer.
On top layer - go to filter - other - high pass (with radius of 10) and click ok.

In layer palette - I usually use 'soft light' blending on the top photo - and then merge the 2 layers. Sometimes I use 'overlay or other blendings and adjust the percentage.

This works similar to unsharp - but it allows me to adjust the blending mode and percentage - which gives me more control over the 'sharpness' of the edges.

I also use unsharp a lot - and sharpen edges (with my car photos).

I use Photoshop a lot to improve my photos - I have an 8 mp canon but am saving up money for one of the new canon rebel cameras

Great thread.

anitastreet
09-19-2008, 01:49 PM
as silly or as obvious as this sounds... clean your camera lens.....what a difference this makes! I have a nice cleaning cloth I got from Ritz camera..anti scratch, microfiber.....

also play around with special effects .. you'd be surprised what you can do...
there is a neat FREE plug in from optikVerve Labs called Virtual Photographer.. you can get it here (http://www.optikvervelabs.com/)

I use it with PSP but the plugin works with PS and PSE also...

Debra
09-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks Anita.. I had completely forgotten about VP since my computer crashed... now i've gotten it again. Sure do agree, the different effects are really wonderful!