PDA

View Full Version : wind storm knocked out power

babyofmine
09-15-2008, 05:19 AM
For most of yesterday, we had no power. It was super windy all morning, and the power went out at about 11:45. It stayed off (at least in my neighborhood) until about 8pm, which is right when the sun set. :laugh:
I spent the day clipping coupons, something I haven't had the energy to do for a few months. That sounds weird, so let me explain. I get 6 Sunday papers (and thus coupon sets) each week. I have hyperemesis gravidarum, which affects me in many many ways, one way being that I get dizzy when I look at a bunch of stuff in a short time. So clipping and sorting 6 coupon sets each week was just a bit much, for several weeks. But yesterday there was nothing to distract me, and I was feeling okay, so I did it! *woot
anyone else lose power (and now it's back)?

Mom_of_5
09-15-2008, 06:11 AM
We lost power around 6:30 last night and got it back a little after 5 am this morning! I didn't have a chance for a backup last night and now that the power is back, my pc won't boot up!! Hopefully it's just the power supply. I have my laptop and my EHD's but none of the stuff from yesterday.

It's quite a mess here this morning. Quite a bit of yard cleanup and limb cutting to be done now. Our street is blocked off between us and the main road due to trees down across the road. DH got out through back roads and got to his office (54 miles away) to find that they still have no power.

Anyone else???

TammyM
09-15-2008, 07:38 AM
This was my first hurricane. We haven't had power since Friday. No phone yesterday, now no water. They say the power could be out for 2 weeks. I am on a generator for a few minutes. But we can't get more gasoline yet. All the stations are out or closed. The DSL is working today, but wasn't yesterday. Luckily a very unusual cold front came in or we would be sweltering. Hopefully I can at least get on the computer long enough to read a couple of forums so I don't go through complete withdrawl :laugh:

jwcrafter
09-15-2008, 08:10 AM
We live near Cincinnati and were among the lucky ones that still have power. They say some will not have power for a week. There are a lot of trees down and houses damaged throughout the entire Cincinnati area. There is a huge tree on the house behind me and another one on a house across the street from us, so we were lucky in that aspect also. We only had a couple of pieces of siding come loose and bend so we will have to replace that.

If the storm did so much damage here, so far away from where it reached shore, I can only imagine the devastation that the people in Texas are going through. We need to keep them in our thoughts and prayers as they struggle to pull their lives back together.

babyofmine
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
My online friend Casey lives (lived?) in Galveston Island, TX. Her email today was not good. She can only assume her house is destroyed, as nobody will be able to go back for at least a month.

My little power outage is nothing compared to what she and others are going through. Many prayers are being said, here, for them!