PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your files from pirates on 4shared...

HollyS
08-01-2008, 06:06 AM
To protect your work (and also GDS designer's works) when participating in exchanges here at GDS, we ask that you help guard against people stealing.

In 4shared, this is such a thing as a Public Search. That means that someone can type in something like "hollyann" or "candyland" and find all files on 4shared that have that in their name. And then since most files are not password protected, anyone can download them.

So, besides password protecting your files, you can set up your account in such a way that your files do not show up in public searches.

Here's how:

Go to 4shared.com and log in
Go to your "My Account" link on the right side
Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you UNCHECK the box that asks "Allow to show my files in public search results". This way no one can search for your files.
Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you CHECK the box that asks "Do Not Show Related File at the Download Page". This way when someone is downloading a specific file of yours because you gave them the link, they will not see the box on the right side that lists other files named close to yours (meaning show some of your other files that they are entitled to to download).

If by chance it's set to Allow, click the settings tab and UNcheck the public search box. Then you should be ok.

Here's a screen shot of my settings:

Muma
08-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Ah ha .... thank you so much for this advice and little tutorial ... going to check mine now.

TammyM
08-01-2008, 07:41 AM
I had figured out how to remove from public searches but don't see where to set a password. Is that something you could easily explain in this thread?

HollyS
08-01-2008, 07:44 AM
I had figured out how to remove from public searches but don't see where to set a password. Is that something you could easily explain in this thread?

That is done after you upload and on a per file or folder basis. I usually create folders to put something in and then I upload to that folder. After, I rightclick on the folder and choose the sharing/security option and password protect there.

babyofmine
08-01-2008, 07:44 AM
thanks for the tip! I also make sure to remove the file once I know it's been downloaded by the intended recipient (I usually ask them to let me know).

TammyM
08-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the password info. I will set up folders from now on. Thanks again for explaining this.

LisasMom
08-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks for these tips Holly! I'm just getting to know 4-shared and I think that I am way more friendly than it is!

So, if I make a folder called *Exchanges* and always upload to that folder, will the password always be attached to each new file I add? And will it be the same password?

Thanks for your help! http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd317/JakesNana/Hugs/Bighug-1.gif

Veronica
08-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks for that Holly, I always use passwords, but have never unchecked the public search box. That should work perfectly!

his
08-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks Holly! This is such an useful information!

scrappintwins
08-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks for these tips Holly! I'm just getting to know 4-shared and I think that I am way more friendly than it is!

So, if I make a folder called *Exchanges* and always upload to that folder, will the password always be attached to each new file I add? And will it be the same password?

Thanks for your help! http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd317/JakesNana/Hugs/Bighug-1.gif

Yes, that's what I do. I keep a folder up and put all my exchange pages in it. The password stays the same until you change it yourself. Then when Holly gets the files I delete them.

eb2177
08-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks for that Holly, I always use passwords, but have never unchecked the public search box. That should work perfectly!

Me too, thanks for the info Holly.

techie girl
08-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Thank you so much for this info. I did not realize someone could find your files.I will go check mine now.
I always delete them after Holly gets them.I will start naming them different too.
Holly, do you think it is a good idea to pw them too.
How would I go about setting up a folder to upload to?
I just upload the zip and it shows up by itself.I then right click and send Holly the link.

LovePSPUPI
08-02-2008, 03:21 PM
I dont see where it says my account...Must be because mine is free...Ill delete all and use winrar to password protect it.

britnkaysmemaw2
08-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Just checked mine and I had it set to "Not Allowed"!!!

britnkaysmemaw2
08-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I dont see where it says my account...Must be because mine is free...Ill delete all and use winrar to password protect it.

I have a free account with 4 Shared, and I found the "My Account" box at the very top of the page on the right hand side. Not very big, you really had to look for it!

LovePSPUPI
08-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I finally found it and changed mine to not allow but when I went to go delete each one to reup with password it keeps going back to same page without a delete. So what do I do now? Holly if you want send me a personal reply and Ill give you my password and see if you can get them deleted. Thanks

emst
08-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks Holly, I've had things taken on my 4shared account without my permission, that's why I had asked you to notify me when you got my QP's
Off to check my settings.

Callista
08-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Thank you so much for this very good advice ! I changed my settings and hope it will help :)

techie girl
08-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I changed my setting to "not allow". Thanks for the heads up on this.

HollyS
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Ok, I found the exact steps and I also found how you an control whether other files of yours show up when you give someone a link to download a file of yours and they go to that link. Usually on the right is a box called "related files" and may show other files of your you didn't intend folks to dowload without your permission. Here the steps are and if you scroll back up to my original post, you will now see a screen shot of what the settings should look like.

Here's how:

-Go to 4shared.com and log in
-Go to your "My Account" link on the right side
-Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you UNCHECK the box that asks "Allow to show my files in public search results". This way no one can search for your files.
-Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you CHECK the box that asks "Do Not Show Related File at the Download Page". This way when someone is downloading a specific file of yours because you gave them the link, they will not see the box on the right side that lists other files named close to yours (meaning show some of your other files that they are entitled to to download).

Census
08-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for pointing this out Holly. I can't find the the "allow to show public search" box only the set password on the settings tab. I have searched and can't find it!!:hairpull:
I have this one folder that appears to show as related files when people download, dispite what I do!! It does just have tuts in it which I do share, but I would like to find out why these files are still showing!!
Thanks again for pointing this out though.

britnkaysmemaw2
08-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks Holly for all the info. Checked my settings and everything is correct now.

Gem
09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I am having some difficulty with setting a password for the folder. I found the properties and changed the settings so it wouldn't show related files nor show up in public searches, but have not been able to find the password option. Please help. Also, is there a way to hide my email address on the 4-shared link?

Veronica
09-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I am having some difficulty with setting a password for the folder. I found the properties and changed the settings so it wouldn't show related files nor show up in public searches, but have not been able to find the password option. Please help. Also, is there a way to hide my email address on the 4-shared link?

Hi there,

What I do is RIGHT click on the folder. Then it asks if you would like to share the folder. Click YES.
Then you will have various options appeaar - click "add password". Then type in your password in the spaces.
Voilą! (Remember to write down your password somewhere) :wink:

mitia
09-03-2009, 09:35 AM
WOW!
Thanks!
This is very necessary!

One question
you know how do I add the preview of the product in 4shared, when the person clicks the link and go to the download page?
Does this option is only for those who have premium account?:head_hurts_kr:

rumkimom
09-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks so much for this info! I also password protect anything I have there.

elenasworld
09-03-2009, 07:04 PM
WOW!
Thanks!
This is very necessary!

One question
you know how do I add the preview of the product in 4shared, when the person clicks the link and go to the download page?
Does this option is only for those who have premium account?:head_hurts_kr:

I dont know, but that would be pretty cool.
I hope somebody knows

Rositsa
06-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Thank you so much! I didn't know that :wink1: