PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your files from pirates on 4shared...

HollyS
08-01-2008, 06:06 AM
To protect your work (and also GDS designer's works) when participating in exchanges here at GDS, we ask that you help guard against people stealing.

In 4shared, this is such a thing as a Public Search. That means that someone can type in something like "hollyann" or "candyland" and find all files on 4shared that have that in their name. And then since most files are not password protected, anyone can download them.

So, besides password protecting your files, you can set up your account in such a way that your files do not show up in public searches.

Here's how:

Go to 4shared.com and log in
Go to your "My Account" link on the right side
Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you UNCHECK the box that asks "Allow to show my files in public search results". This way no one can search for your files.
Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you CHECK the box that asks "Do Not Show Related File at the Download Page". This way when someone is downloading a specific file of yours because you gave them the link, they will not see the box on the right side that lists other files named close to yours (meaning show some of your other files that they are entitled to to download).

Here is a screen shot of my settings:

j_camargo6
08-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Does this work the same way on sendspace?

Irishgal
08-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Holly,

Thanks for the information. Mine had public searches allowed, so I'm glad I was able to change that. Thanks!

HollyS
08-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Does this work the same way on sendspace?

Not sure...I know this is a rampant problem with 4shared though.

Muma
08-01-2008, 07:48 AM
I know on 4Free File Hosting you can password each file and the only way it can be downloaded is if you give the link out.

Bydelstorp
08-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Does anyone know whether you have to have a paying account at 4shared to have your files password protected? I have looked everywhere, but I could not find the option for a password for files. But then maybe I have just turned blonde again?? :laugh: If anyone could help me setting up passwords, I would greatly appreciate the help.

stater
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
TY very much!

stater
08-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know whether you have to have a paying account at 4shared to have your files password protected? I have looked everywhere, but I could not find the option for a password for files. But then maybe I have just turned blonde again?? :laugh: If anyone could help me setting up passwords, I would greatly appreciate the help.

No you don't have to have a paid account to password protect your files.

When you're looking at your virtual drive you'll see a tab at the top that says deactiviate or activate. You can click on that to set your password. Also, in My Account you can click on the Settings tab & change your password.

Hope that helps.

Bydelstorp
08-02-2008, 11:41 AM
No you don't have to have a paid account to password protect your files.

When you're looking at your virtual drive you'll see a tab at the top that says deactiviate or activate. You can click on that to set your password. Also, in My Account you can click on the Settings tab & change your password.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that explanation. I'll try it out.

HollyS
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Ok, I found the exact steps and I also found how you an control whether other files of yours show up when you give someone a link to download a file of yours and they go to that link. Usually on the right is a box called "related files" and may show other files of your you didn't intend folks to dowload without your permission. Here the steps are and if you scroll back up to my original post, you will now see a screen shot of what the settings should look like.

Here's how:

-Go to 4shared.com and log in
-Go to your "My Account" link on the right side
-Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you UNCHECK the box that asks "Allow to show my files in public search results". This way no one can search for your files.
-Under the "Settings" tab, make sure you CHECK the box that asks "Do Not Show Related File at the Download Page". This way when someone is downloading a specific file of yours because you gave them the link, they will not see the box on the right side that lists other files named close to yours (meaning show some of your other files that they are entitled to to download).

traceyjean
02-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks so much for sharing this information. My files are family photos and I'd hate to give access to just anybody.

msghd
02-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Thank you for posting this. I say the other day that someone had put up a shared a file that was originally from a designers blog. On 4shared you don't even have to search for a file on the side column they show related material. :no:

orangeinheaven@gmail.com
07-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info! Happily, my account was already set that way and I don't remember doing that LOL.