PDA

View Full Version : Computer Died (RIP machine)

cmcariann
07-14-2008, 03:10 PM
UGH!!
My computer died, well the power supply died this weekend... I took the hard drive out of the machine and am going to move it to my Linux machine (I will have 2 operating systems on it , but that was the plan to begin with..) I have temporarily lost a couple of my links (CT stuff mostly) but had just recently backed-up my digital and photos getting ready for our beach trip over 4th of July...
I'm using DH's computer for now as I don't want to be building computers this week...

Just a reminder!!! BACK UP OFTEN!!! I know it could have been a lot worse!

j_camargo6
07-14-2008, 03:11 PM
My condolences! So glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Mom_of_5
07-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh dear! I'm glad this isn't a complete disaster. Back up, back up, back up...can never say that enough...back up!

elenasworld
07-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow! I am glad things weren't worse for you. I have been doing an ongoing back up, but it just never seems to end.

twirlyjoy
07-14-2008, 11:32 PM
oh dear :( At least you had most of your things backed up

babyofmine
07-15-2008, 07:29 PM
boo! for the dead computer.
yay! for backing up. :D
Is the computer completely unsalvageable, then? When the power source on my old computer (which we still use) started going bad (it sounded like an airplane getting ready for take-off), we were able to just buy a new one. Not expensive, either.

cmcariann
07-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Bad news, The Hard drive shorted out and took the power supply with it...

If you are on Christy Stagg's CT will you PM or email me... I lost the links to her 4shared sight as well as the CT forum... (I need to get back on track with my CT stuff... ) Luckily I didn't lose any of my GDS stuff (I had backed that up earlier in the month...)

ckbymommy
07-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Cariann,

I can't help you with your lost links, but I can give you a little hint for the future. I have a personal laptop, a family desktop, and two business desktops and was always annoyed when a link was on a differnt machine than I was currently working on. I installed the 'yahoo toolbar' to all 4 and now only save to and use the 'bookmarks' from that toolbar - now I can access my links from anywhere - even if I'm on a public computer, all I have to do is log into my yahoo account and they are on the front page.

HTH

cmcariann
07-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Cariann,

I can't help you with your lost links, but I can give you a little hint for the future. I have a personal laptop, a family desktop, and two business desktops and was always annoyed when a link was on a differnt machine than I was currently working on. I installed the 'yahoo toolbar' to all 4 and now only save to and use the 'bookmarks' from that toolbar - now I can access my links from anywhere - even if I'm on a public computer, all I have to do is log into my yahoo account and they are on the front page.

HTH

NOrmally I would save as a favorite and it would be fine as I use foxmarks, but for some reason I hadn't saved those 2 links... I love foxmarks for firefox... It gave me the links to gds and several other things when I moved to DH's computer... But, live and learn... just hoping someone else from the Creative Team reads this and replies to me..

Love4Scrap
07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Just seen this Thread!~ and I have to say that there IS SOMETHING going around in the COMPUTER WORLD!!!!! .... My Computer has been doing this CRAZY stuff for a few weeks and if you are LUCKY , I STRESS "IF"... then you get to do a few things. I have NOT BEEN ABLE TO DO LAYOUTS or anything like that because of it and the Blog I created has been neglected... Sorry to those that have been there and I and My team have NOT !!!! I wanted to say that "cmcariann" is right ......... BACK UP OFTEN !!!!!!

I am learning that Now!!!! I too am on the DH Computer therfore downloading more kits is OUT OF THE ????? for Now!!!! ,but will get there.....

CMCARIANN I hope that things get better soon, I know that this has to be as Fustrating to you as it has been here for Me!!!!! Good Luck!!!!!

Muma
07-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I love foxmarks for that reason. Recently my DH's machine died .... everytime he hard booted he lost more and more of the drive .... He got my old machine and I got a brand new one. WoooHoooo lol ..... luckily we were networked so before we took his down we were able to transfer what we wanted from one machine to another. When I got my new machine my book marks were there as soon as I synchronized the book marks.

But I am in serious need of backing up my files ........ I might have to take a day or 2 out of my life and do that .... very soon.