PDA

View Full Version : What books do you read??

LisasMom
06-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Hi! I'm somewhat new to this site and was wondering if y'all have a book club thread somewhere that I'm not finding??? I love to read (when I'm not scrapping!!) so I run out of good ideas quite often!

I like many types of books, mysteries, thrillers, horror, suspense, but also historical fiction, some fantasy, some science fiction. Of course I love the Harry Potter books so someone suggested the Twilight series. I'm doing that now, and it is pretty good for a fun, light read.

So, what are some of your favs?? Any good suggestions??

griest
06-29-2008, 09:30 AM
I love to read too! My fav author at the momet is Jjodi Picoullt! Have read almost everythting she has written--All have some type of 'figure it out' them going on--not really a mystery, but usually a twist in the plot! Suggest "my sister's keepr, 19 minutes, the tenth circle. but really I like all of her stuff.

GardenGirl05
06-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I love the authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs. The write together and their books at very fun. I would also recommend the young adult trilogy The Midnighters. I love those.

LisasMom
06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
I love Preston and Childs!!! I've read everything of theirs at least once, some more. I just finished listening to Blasphemy by Douglas Preston from the audio library. It was great too. Greg Iles is another good one like them. His Footprints of God was just super fantastic! These last two have touches of Steven Hawking in them - they use the actual theories from physics and cosmology and *jazz* them up a bit. Ends up very interesting, surely more than a simple whodunit! :p

mrs.mordecai
06-30-2008, 07:13 PM
A great book for book lovers is Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman. If you're a book nerd, you'll love it!

Another of my favorites is Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn, just for its word acrobatics. During the course of the book, different letters are banned, until at the end there are only five left. It's also a fun story.

A young adult author I like is Shannon Hale. She does fairy-tale-like stories, and I just love them, especially The Goose Girl.

O2BNGdHope
07-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Preston and Childs' Agent Pendergast is one of my all time favorite characters!! And I'm waiting anxiously for the next in the Twilight series. I'm reading Dean Koontz' Odd Hours right now but don't like it as well as I did all the other Odd Thomas series. Christine Feehan is one of my favorite authors in the supernatural romance genre. I like all 3 of her Series, but I think my favorite is the Dark Series. And come Aug 5th, I'm rushing to the store to get Acher, Sherilynn Kenyon's new book!

LisasMom
07-01-2008, 12:46 PM
I'll have to check out Christine Feehan and Sherilynn Kenyon. I just finished listening to Brother Odd and just got the book Odd Hours from reserve from the library. I listen to a lot of books from the audio library while I am scrapping or doing other things on my computer. Some books I enjoy so much more this way, mostly because of the reader's voice. I'm listening to the Twilight series now and just love that reader's inflections and expressions. She really makes the books come alive. Another series I loved listening to was the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. I love the reader's English accent!! Its about English Egyptologists at the beginning of the 1900s and they are always involved in some sort of murder or conspiracy mystery. Amelia is very *proper* but a little revolutionary also. Lots of archaeology type things thrown in, travel, history, a little of everything - oh and of course, romance and suspense!

O2BNGdHope
07-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Amelia Peabody sounds like my type of book. I wanted to be an archaeologist. Didn't get there but love the movies. LOL! I'll have to check into her before going on vacation this weekend. And I, too, like to listen to audiobooks. I download them from itunes onto my ipod so I can listen to them in the car or in the DR's office or at the pool. The teens around me probably think I'm listening to some "cool" music. Little do they know. LOL! And the Dark Series by Christinee Feehan is just coming out on audiobooks in the last year or so. Be sure to read them in order starting with Dark Prince. They all play off each other. The characters stay with the series all the way through so you really become part of the "family".

amandamoo
07-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I just found this thread! I love to read too. I will have to try some of your favorite authors. I like Elizabeth Peters too!
I also enjoy suspense books by Mary Higgins Clark, mystery by Agatha Christie, and relaxing lightly romantic novels by Dee Henderson or Lori Wick. Dee Henderson's O'Malley series is about a group of orphans who have banded together and become a family (they are adults in the books).

Victoria32
07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I am reading all the time as well. I usually have 4 books on the go. I love mystery, legal thrillers (so anything by John Grisham), historical novels so the John Jakes series...reading Charleston right now, any True Crime books, esp. Ann Rule, finished one on the weekend. I just read My Sister's Keeper and enjoyed that as well.
I haven't tried the audio books, by that sounds like a cool idea too.

O2BNGdHope
07-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Ok, I bought the first two books on Amelia Peabody by Elizabeth Peters to take with me on vacation last week. I LOVED them. Thanks for the recommendation! Now I have to go back and get the next few books in the series!

LisasMom
07-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Oh Hope! So glad you liked them! Ramses and Nefret *grow* throughout the series and all the same friends hang around so it is really fun!

We just attended my son's college orientation the last few days and they have a *common read* book that all freshman have to read. It is incorporated into many of the classes they will be taking etc. But it sounds pretty neat - The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen. It is set during the First World War and the flu epidemic in the US. The town quarantines itself to stave off the flu but of course, things get out of hand. I'm sure it will be pretty deep with social issues and symbolism and all that if the professors are all using it in classes. So it might be too intense for just a fun read but I'm gonna give it a try!

elenasworld
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Another series I loved listening to was the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters. I love the reader's English accent!! Its about English Egyptologists at the beginning of the 1900s and they are always involved in some sort of murder or conspiracy mystery. Amelia is very *proper* but a little revolutionary also. Lots of archaeology type things thrown in, travel, history, a little of everything - oh and of course, romance and suspense!

I absolutely love Elizabeth Peters too -- I have read just about everything in the Amelia Peabody series. Peters authors under another name as well -- Barbara Michaels (those are on the lines of Dean Koontz). I read them both.

I like mysteries and usually read series with the same detective/amateur sleuth. I am in the middle of John Sandford's book -- they all have the word "Prey" in them. Those get kind of violent, but I also enjoy Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Deleware series. There are only a few I haven't read, but I am always trying to find the time to read

schock77
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. So far so good... if you liked the Anne Rice vampire books, definitely check out this series. Twilight is the first of four and a movie is coming out late in the year based on it. :)

GardenGirl05
07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I was never into vampires, but I really enjoyed the Twilight series and look forward to the next one. I especially love the author's story. She is so much like me! She was an LDS stay-at-home mom who had a dream one night about these vampires and she felt compelled to write it all down. She couldn't stop writing and soon she had a huge novel. Of course, it sold quickly and suddenly she is an ultra famous author. She still seems so down to earth though. I am a stay-at-home LDS mom with 4 kids who is writing a novel based on a dream, too! Of course, I haven't finished my novel yet, but I'm just sure it will be a fabulous success and I'll make millions. ;) Stephanie is my inspiration. LOL I just love that she shows that stay-at-home moms aren't just lazy, ignorant, busybodies.

Have any of you read the new one by Stephenie Meyers called The Host? It's not part of the Twilight Series, but it's about aliens, I think. I've heard it's quite good. My sweet husband just bought me a copy, so I am anxious to get started!

O2BNGdHope
07-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Oh boy! I like Dean Koontz so once I finish with Amelia Peabody, I'll have to go searching for Peters other "persona". Eleana, if you like the same detective, check out the Preston and Childs books with Special Agent Pendergast in them. He seems to have the run of the FBI because he never seems to have a boss but he investigates a lot of paranormal type mysteries. Try to start at the beginning because they lead up to a real climax toward the last 3.

And yes, I've read Twilight series. Holding my breath for the next one but I haven't read "The host" yet. I can't wait to read about your dream, Larisa! Hope it's a series!

lgladden
07-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Love, love, love to read! Historical fiction, fantasy, nonfiction, almost anything except horror. Well, sometimes even that genre grabs me.

One of my favorite authors is Diana Galbradon. Her Outlander series is awesome. I'm eagerly awaiting the next book in the series. Will it be the 7th or 8th? Can't remember, but it's coming out soon.

Since I'm a teacher, I read a lot of teen lit. Two of my favorite teen authors are Stephanie Meyer (The Host and the Twilight series) and Caroline Funke (Inkspell series and others). Never been into alien stuff or vampire stuff, but these books are very well written and have great messages.

lgladden
07-23-2008, 05:43 PM
The Host is absolutely awesome! I loved it so much that I gave it my best friend just before I moved away, but I'll be buying it AGAIN for my class this year. I NEVER read alien books, but this one is different. It's actually good. Very good.

GardenGirl05
07-23-2008, 06:31 PM
lgladden, have you read The Midnighters series by Scott Westerfeld? He also wrote The Pretties series. I really like his writing. Or have you read The City of Ember series by Jeanne Duprau? I'd love to hear about any other teen lit authors you like.

mrs.mordecai
07-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Oh, I love the Pretties / Uglies series. Have you read anything by Shannon Hale? She's the best! I just love teen lit.

lgladden
07-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Yes, I've read the Pretties series. Very good. Haven't read the Midnighters series but will check it out soon! I'll try City of Ember too. Have you tried Funke? I really love her Inkspell series, and she has the third one coming out soon. More authors later...

LisasMom
07-26-2008, 08:05 PM
My son is starting college in a month and they have a common read called The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen. I just finished it and it is reeeeealllllly good! I loved it! It is historical fiction but gets into a lot of psychology and moral issues. Very, Very good.

LisasMom
07-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I was just looking up some of these others that y'all are mentioning and was reminded of a good, *teen & weird* series - Maximum Ride by James Patterson. This mismatched family of teens have wings and can fly - some genetic engineering experiment that they were made or born with wings. Pretty good! The first one in the series I think is The Angel Experiment.

FlowerGarden
07-31-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm reading a book called Girls of Riyadh. It's a very interesting look into the lives of the typical Saudi Arabian woman.

ckbymommy
08-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I picked up Twilight by Stephanie Meyer several weeks ago and am just getting ready to read it. I saw on GMA this morning that the twilight series is as popular as the harry potter series - people were waiting for days in line to pick up the 4th book that went on sale this morning at 12:01 am.

I would love to hear any reviews of the series from others - I'm going to start the book tonight.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m241/ckbymommy/activities/readingbit.jpg

LisasMom
08-02-2008, 10:29 PM
The three books of the Twilight series that are out so far are very good. I wouldn't go so far as to say they are AS good as the Potter books though. I didn't read the three books, but I did listen to the unabridged versions on audiobooks and did enjoy them a lot. Can't wait for the next one and the first movie is also coming out soon. They are very good and I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

O2BNGdHope
08-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Ok, I picked up the newest book on the Twilight series! I read 223 pages before I could put it down. And then it was only because my body insisted on going to sleep. Actually fell asleep and dropped the book on my stomach! Very thick and heavy book......don't want to drop that one again. LOL! And believe me, not because it was boring.

ckbymommy: The series is a very good one. Keeps you engrossed. It's a romance without all the sex scenes. They actually don't have sex until this new book but you still can feel the profound love between them throughout the series. And yes! It's a very popular series. I went to the bookstore at 10:45 the morning it came out. They had had a midnight party for it and there were no books on the shelf. Luckily I asked at the register for it and she said "You can have the last one!" Whew! I was SO glad I asked. Is anyone else reading it? What did you think? ................Hello? ..................I guess everyone's still reading it! LOL!

lgladden
08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Just got Breaking Dawn in the mail yesterday and am half-way through. Wow! It's good. I'll finish it tonight. My housework is suffering, but so what.

Someone else mentioned the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. It's also a good series. Haven't read the latest in this series, but will order it soon.

lgladden
08-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Just ordered the first in the Midnighter's series. Thanks for the tip. Sounds interesting. Happy reading!

O2BNGdHope
08-22-2008, 06:39 AM
No posts to this thread for a couple weeks now. Guess everyone is busy reading! LOL! Finished the book by Sherrilyn Kenyon called Ascher. I cried through the entire first half. But was quite shocked by the ending. Wasn't ready for that yet. He always seemed to be "above" all the other Dark Hunters and I didn't think it was going to end as it did. You'll HAVE to read it if you know anything about the series! Now I'm on to Christine Feehan's new book. And I think I'll get Stephanie Meyer's The Host. Heard some good things about it on here.

mrs.mordecai
08-22-2008, 07:55 AM
I just finished Rapunzel's Revenge and Austenland by Shannon Hale yesterday. They're definitely both worth a read!

babyofmine
08-22-2008, 01:57 PM
I just picked up the Artemis Fowl books today. :laugh: What can I say, most "grown-up" books are too risque for my taste! LOL Next in line are the Inkspell and Charlie Bone books. :D
I finished Breaking Dawn (4th Twilight book) last week. There were some very weird parts; I was disturbed by part of it. But (trying not to spoil it!) maybe that's due to my own...shall we say...condition. :lmao: But, in the end, a happy story. I would definitely read more of this series, if SM decided to write more (and yes, I know about the "companion" book she's writing from Edward's pov). But I don't really compare them to Harry Potter, because it's a completely different type of story. Does Bella really annoy anyone else in the 2nd book? LOL And I can't stand Jabob in that one, especially.
I will say, that when that THING happened with Jake (and you know who), it took me about 3 chapters to realize what had happened. Probably because I was reading it so darn fast! :laugh:

and to anyone that hasn't read the book, my last paragraph will sound really weird. LOL

ShadowRain
08-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Well the twilight series I have to say is one of my favs. I can't wait for the movie. I also read Nick & Norahs Infinate Playlist which I forgot all about til I saw they are making a movie of it too, but its a must read. As are the House of Night Novels by P.C. and her daughter Kristen Cast. The fourth one is due out in Sept. I can't wait! Right now I am reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaimen for like the tenth time!

HollyS
08-22-2008, 03:13 PM
One of my favorite authors is Lisa Gardner...she writes murder/mystery stories that twist and turn! Man you all are reminding just how long ago I stopped everything to read a book over a weekend! Need to do that again soon!

ckbymommy
08-22-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm almost 1/2 way through Eclipse. I started the series less than a week ago - I suppose I will have to listen to them all again or get them all in hard copies so I can catch the parts I've missed by going through them all so fast. I do have to say that I should NOT have read the synopsis for Breaking Dawn, since it clued me in to what ISN'T going to happen in this book.

Julie, your little spoiler has me wanting to finish this one so I can find out what you are talking about, LOL.

Muma
08-23-2008, 02:52 AM
I'm going to have to get hold of the twilight series ... love Anne Rice's Vampire series.

The main series I have read and I must admit I have not kept up with them since moving to the USA are Terry Pratchett's Disc World series. They really appeal to my sense of humour as does Robert Asprin's MythAdventure series. Both are sets of Comic fantasy. Here is a little about the disc world books (http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/)

ATM I am reading Clive Barkers Weave World but have not read anything else of his yet. So far I love this book. A bit adult in some places but I am ok with that.

twirlyjoy
08-23-2008, 10:42 AM
oh, Sue, I LOVE Terry Pratchett - my sense of humour too!!! I read Truckers, Diggers and Wings whilst I was in hospital after having my gallstones removed - not a good idea when it is painful to laugh!!

I am also reading my way through A Series of Unfortunate Events and am just about to start on the Spiderwick Chronicles too!!

PamWhit
08-24-2008, 05:09 AM
One of my favorite authors is Lisa Gardner...she writes murder/mystery stories that twist and turn! Man you all are reminding just how long ago I stopped everything to read a book over a weekend! Need to do that again soon!

I love Lisa Gardner! She's really, really good. And also, Tess Gerritsen, Kathy Reichs, John Sandford, Nelson DeMille and for good light reading, Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Have also been reading alot of David Morrell, Dan Brown and Karin Slaughter. Another good series is Catherin Coulter's FBI series. And yet another good series is James Patterson's Women's Murder Club. I guess you can tell I like murder/mysteries. That's pretty much how I've spent my summer -- scrapping and reading!

lgladden
08-24-2008, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the tip on the Midnighters! Just finished the first book and am ordering the other two.

mrs.mordecai
08-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Twirly, I just loved Series of Unfortunate Events. It is so funny, and I love how the author defines words as he goes along!

suzepstein
10-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I loved the book "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Couldn't put it down!

diamndprincz
10-23-2009, 07:19 PM
I have to agree Suzepstein...that was a great book..couldn't do anything but laugh.

I like all sorts of books. My job is based on production so now I get a chance to listen a lot of audiobooks. The latest I enjoyed was Twilight. I am just starting the series but I fell in love with the first book. I am upset the library has me on a waiting list for next book-I am way to anxious.

mosser77
10-24-2009, 04:05 AM
I just finished "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society." The name sounds weird, but if you like historical fiction, I highly recommend it! I cried...twice! And the last time I cried at a book I was like 12, reading "Bridge to Terabithia."

http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/guernsey//book/

SparkysGirl
10-24-2009, 06:49 AM
I'll have to check out those Guernsey books ... I love historical fiction. But, I also love historical non-fiction books like "The Real" series: "The Real George Washington", "The Real Benjamin Franklin", etc.

I have read the entire Twilight series and loved it. I have read just about everything that James Patterson, Nicholas Sparks, Harlan Coben (might be spelling wrong) and Jason Wright have written. I read books about faith by Beth Moore, Staci and John Eldredge, and right now I am reading a book called "Heaven" by Randy Almore.

Books I highly recommend: The Shack by William Peterson, The Christmas Jar by Jason Wright - this is being made into a movie, I hear, --these are both quick but wonderful books to read.

suzepstein
10-24-2009, 08:15 AM
I really liked "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society" also. Gave me a great feel for the era.