PDA

View Full Version : What the heck do I do with actions?

amandamoo
06-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Okay, so I downloaded some actions for PSE 5.0...BUT I don't know how to get them to where I can use them. Can anyone out there help me?

OneMemory
06-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Amandamoo, I'm on my way out, so if you dont' get instructions when I get back, I'll type it out for you! You'll love ACTIONS!

SCRAPPnGRANNY
06-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, I have to make sure to come back and see what the answer to your question is because I myself am curious as well.

OneMemory
06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Ok guys this is only for PSE 5.0-kinda weird but it's different for PSE 4.0 & 6.0 so if you need those, just holler!

Installation for Elements 5.0-Windows (I forgot to ask if you had windows)

Make sure PSE is closed.

Copy the entire action folder to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\5.0\Photo Creations\special effects\photo effects folder.
This folder can be hidden on most computers, so you'll have to type the address in or choose to show all files.

You should have at least 2 items inside your action folder: one that is .atn (that's the action file) and one that is the photo file (either .psd, .jpg, .png, etc) need to be a psd file so you'll need to open it and re-save if it's not. When saving it needs to be thumbs.psd (AGAIN THIS IS ONLY FOR PSE 5.0)

Then open PSE and inside the effects folder you will see the little photo. Then to use, you will need to be sure you are on the correct layer, I like to Ctrl-click the thumbnail to select it too, then double click the action you want to you. Some use brushes you have to load first, some need you to choose a color before you run it, so check your file and follow any prompts it gives you.

If you get stuck, just let me know. The installation can be tricky, but well worth it for all the cool things they can do!

amandamoo
06-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Thank you so much!!
It worked! You were right, it is worth it for all the cool things they can do.
I had to go to the control panel and get my computer to show hidden files and folders, because there was no place to type in the address.

tweederbug
06-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Glad that you got the actions to work! I am an action junky myself. I literally have thousands of actions and filters! Can't wait to see your action work.