PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when the power goes off?

Helen
06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Wow - it's been a long day for me today - we had wicked storms late last night - all night long (I even went to the basement once with the dog when the radio said a rotation was spotted 2 miles west of me and heading my way - phew - nothing happened) - and I lost power (fortunately the new back up sump pump we got after our last power outage - did the trick - at least no flooding this time!)

Needless to say without power - I couldn't log on today - and I have been having withdrawal symptoms all day. It finally came on about an hour ago. Com Ed was telling me it would be off until tomorrow morning (over 24+ hours) but it just came on. I am blessed. There are so many others much worse off than me. I feel so bad for the folks in Iowa and Wisconsin with all the flooding - and thankfully I don't live near any water in Northern Illinois - which is also getting flooded.

So what did I do - I went out for a little bit - and did some housework - ugh!

So what do you do when the power goes out - and it's hot and muggy? And your long haired Golden Retriever is panting and is looking at you - like where is the air conditioning - we get so spoiled.

scrapsara
06-13-2008, 08:53 PM
I had to laugh at your post, Helen, b/c I have an alaskan malamute mix that gets spoiled by the air conditioning too LOL. When the power is out around here, I often find myself reading.

Housework, heaven forbid?!

I grew up in Oklahoma so twisters seem like second nature to me. We don't have many in virginia though.

Maisie
06-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Our lights went out during dinner...lol
Gave me a good excuse not to do dishes.
Then I took a nap, since it was dark already.
When the lights came back on, I woke up and went to bed.

babyofmine
06-13-2008, 09:07 PM
:laugh: poor doggie! :D
I remember when we had some electrical storms a few weeks ago, I had to turn off the computers, and then the power went off. My 2 boys (ages 5 and 3) and I just looked at each other, and started laughing. Then we got out the art supplies and had a ton of fun (unfortunately my camera was kaputz), and we didn't bother to turn the computers on right away when it was "okay". Then we took a walk, and looked at the worms and our garden, etc. It was fun! Like a nice little vacation. :D

twirlyjoy
06-14-2008, 01:57 AM
We haven't had power cuts for a while, but when we do, we get the board games out and play them, although the ones we do have tend to be in the evening, so board games by candlelight are often tough!