PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk.....

amyleigh1204
06-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Potty Training!

My 2 1/2 year old, Caleb, is totally not into it! I know that he still has time, but he knows what to do, just won't do it! My older boys were so easy! I guess that spoiled me.....What are your experiences with potty training?

griest
06-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Did ya ever try throwing cheerios into the toilet and letting the little guy "target practice?" My boy loved it. They were completely trained at 18 and 19 months.

Mom_of_5
06-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Did ya ever try throwing cheerios into the toilet and letting the little guy "target practice?" My boy loved it. They were completely trained at 18 and 19 months.

Wow! You are so lucky! Alex was almost 4 by the time he was potty-trained. Mateo was just a little over 3. Sam was 3 at the end of January. He poops in the potty but we have had NO success with peeing in the potty. I'm not sure he even knows when he needs to go pee! I even bought Lightening McQueen big boy underwear. He knows he needs to wear it to start preschool in the fall, but it's not making any difference!

Ina
06-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry, I have no tricks in my sleeve. Elli (1y8months)is fine with the poopies and even comes to tell me when she needs to go (few times she has told me that she needs to do a poopy and when we go to the potty she's done a weewee instead. I hope to have her potty trained by the end of the summer. I don't put nappies on her at the moment and if she gets her pants wet she just freezes and won't move. :D Easy to clean places, I guess, but we are going through so many clothes per day I some days loose count. I hope she realizes that it's not much fun being in wet clothes and starts telling me when she needs to go to the potty. If only there was a button to press to make the children realize what they need to do.

Sexy__Eyes
06-13-2008, 12:59 PM
My first was a nightmare to train...he was adament about not going on the potty that I actually gave up. He was potty trained 4 months later. Maybe I was pushing too hard. By the time the second one came along...he came to me one day and said " no more diapers". I was stunned....but replied, oh yes buddy you need them for 1 more week. We were going to the Jersey shore for the week and would rather have him in the diapers. Well... he wanted nothing to do with diapers so off to the shore we went but stopped at every restroom on the way for him to go. To this day no matter where he is (shopping, on vacation etc) he has to leave his mark in every restroom around him. The other 2 were easy as pie because all they were interested in doing was EVERYTHING their older brothers did...including going on the potty. Guess I lucked out.

cmcariann
06-13-2008, 01:11 PM
my oldest was 4 before he was trained (although we had our youngest in the midst of that)
My youngest is 30 months and is trying but it isn't happening yet... We've tried the cherrios/ cheetos in the toilet with no luck... Now that summer is here we can work on the use the tree in the backyard trick hopefully that will help.

mosser77
06-13-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm in no hurry (he'll be 2 in October). I think it's funny to watch him squat down in the corner and mess his diaper, lol!

tweederbug
06-13-2008, 04:08 PM
I have no advice for you. New Years Day I took my sons diaper off...he was 30 months..I told him that there was no more diapers and if he needed to go potty he had to go in his potty. He walked around for about an hour...came running to me and was saying that he had to poopy. I then told him that he needed to go to the potty chair. He refused of course and about 10 minutes later,he was running for the chair.He just missed the chair...fell down beside it. I made a HUGE deal about it and gave him a "treat" for going potty. I have never had a problem since. We have been diaper free since then! 1 day....1 hour and he was trained. He does wear pullups to bed and if we go somewhere. He refuses to go potty in bathrooms that have the electric hand dryers,all part of his SPD. He won't totally refuse but if someone is on the bathroom around the dryer...he gets upset. Oh well...I was so thankful that one day was all I took.
Sheila

twirlyjoy
06-14-2008, 01:08 AM
I have girls who are, allegedly, easier to train - not having boys means I have nothing to compare them with!!

Emi was trained at 18 months, Alice was 20 months (although had bed-wetting problems for a very long time and ended up on meds for it), and Lucie was dry by 14 months - she got chicken pox (we don't vaccinate against it over here) and was so sore that I let her run round with no nappy on, and that was it - she did it all herself!!! Then a few weeks later she announced that she wasn't going to wear anything at night either - and we never had an accident!

The one 'rule' that I hear from people is not to push it - they will do it in their own time, and better to wait for a few weeks till they are ready as there are less accidents that way!!!

babyofmine
06-14-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm in no hurry (he'll be 2 in October). I think it's funny to watch him squat down in the corner and mess his diaper, lol!
:laugh: I think it's funny when they squat, too! :D
My first was 3 before I even tried. I just didn't want it to be a fight, so I waited for him to show interest. He went into the bathroom with Dad, etc. He finally showed some interest when his younger friend was P-T. 3 weeks later, Krillin was done.
Kenshin has "always" done everything that Krillin does, so he started P-T when he was not even 2. DH sorta ruined that when I went out of town (okay, it was mostly my fault, as I forgot to tell DH that Kenshin wasn't wearing diapers anymore). By the time I got back, Kenshin was wearing diapers. oops :head_hurts_kr: But then we moved, and I waited a few months before trying again. I just told him "it's time for underwear" and he agreed. :D
I was VERY lucky with both! :goodluck:
oh, and neither one is P-T for night. *err I was much older before I stopped wetting the bed, so I think it may be hereditary. Plus, I'm lazy! :laugh:

Muma
06-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Wow can't believe how early some are diaper free.

I can;t compare girls to boys either, only have 1 little madam here .. sheis putty trained but when she is in a bad mood or annoyed at mummy n daddy she will go somewhere else other than her potty. SHe gets to clean up though and hates that part so hopefully [oh I really do hope] she will get bored of doing that. Sometimes when she is so engrossed in something or very very excited she will pee but most of the time she is very good.

She is totally diaper free, she started sitting on the potty on her 3rd birthday ... we bought her a new potty cos she hated the old one. Used it as a toy storage trunk lol .... but the new one she used from the moment it was out of the box.

amyleigh1204
06-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Well, Caleb pee'd in the potty some this week, but mostly refuses. I am so tired of diapers!!! I am afraid if I just took the diapers away, he would just go in the floor!

scrappintwins
06-14-2008, 06:21 PM
I really haven't tried with mine yet. They get the general idea but I'm waiting until they show more interest. They both will bring me the diapers and wipes when they go so I think it's getting close. It may be hard to train a boy and a girl at the same time lol. Although one night before a bath my daughter informed me that she had a telly (what my mom called it when i was a kid lol) and bubby had a pee tommy lolol....I thought I was going to pee my pants I laughed so hard.

Andrea
06-14-2008, 07:08 PM
My experience is that it depends on the kid. My more easy going kids were easier to potty train. They are a boy and a girl and that didn't make any difference. My other son and daughter...:hairpull:took one plus years to potty train. We started and stopped multiple times. They're both very stubborn and just didn't want to bother with it. With all of my kids though, I usually got the training done in the end when I got rid of the diapers. :wink:

Jody2
06-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Well thinking back 40 to 50 years ago - all 4 of my kids were potty trained before they were two years old. Usually around 18 months. We didn't have disposable diapers in those days so I just put underwear on them and they didn't like the way the pee leaked all over the place so they used the potty within a day or two of changing to underwear. They still wore a diaper at night for about another year. I did find boys easier as they could "see" what was happening while peeing. LOL

hellosnitty
06-14-2008, 08:29 PM
I just use a 'pee~pee chart' and let them put stickers on the chart everytime they use the potty. For every day they used the potty every time that day, I let them pick out of a 'treat box' filled with little toys, suckers, cars and just whatever for them. It always worked with my kids, and I have 7!! My youngest is 7weeks old and you better believe he'll be using it too! :)
I started every one of my kids at 18 months (my daughter is 18 mo and is about to start too!) and it only took a two to three weeks and it was done.

mrs.mordecai
06-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I read this thread with interest because my little guy will turn 2 next month and I'm starting to think about potty training. He has no interest, however; whenever we ask him if he wants to sit on the potty he say no.

With him so far, though, I've found he likes to take things at his own pace. He didn't want to give up his high chair until his booster seat had been sitting out for a month, and then one day he just decided to switch and he won't go back.

I'm hoping that potty training will be the same one day. Please?