PDA

View Full Version : What kind of camera do you use?

admin
09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Please share with us what type of camera you use and whether you like it, plan to upgrade, or any other information you would like to share.

Debra
09-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Canon Digital Rebel XT. It's so easy to use.. even has the "idiot settings" which work wonderfully for me :) I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon.

pillowgirl
09-04-2006, 04:25 AM
I use a Kodak easy share for digital pics and a Canon Rebel for my traditional camera.

hystrix21
09-05-2006, 10:50 AM
The one that I had from my first daughter's birth died July 4th weekend *mad I had to go out and get something quick, since the very next weekend we were going to the Ocean and taking my youngest there for the first time. I currently have a 5.2 MP Fuji Fine Pix Camera. Its great and all, great zoom. Although I have the hardest time adjusting it to any sort of light. I guess I was spoiled with my olympus that I had before. I really wanted a Nikon, but the one that I wanted was (and still is) on back-order *:no So for now, until this one breaks...it works and takes some great pictures inthe perfect light setting

Debra
09-05-2006, 10:55 AM
I've had the fuji too and I love that camera and the software is really user friendly too for uploading purposes.

strawbry_wine
09-05-2006, 04:46 PM
the absolute cheapest EasyShare Kodak I could find. Does fine on landscape/far shots but sucky on closeups. Had a really nice Nikon that was stolen. Some day when I win the lottery...course I gotta play it to win it...always fergit that part...

kcmcd
09-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I have the Digital Rebel XT by Canon as well. I got it for Mother's Day and haven't put it down yet. It's fantastic!

IlaMarie
09-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I have a Sony digital 'Handycam' that takes still shots, but have never learned to use it, and have never uploaded pics to my puter before. I really like getting the ideas from all of you for what to shop for (eventually), as even tho this one is a minicam, it's still unweildy to just take in one's purse or whatever. Leaning towards the Rebel (love the 'idiot' settings part), seems like it will suit me just fine. lol

Rebecca
09-07-2006, 10:32 PM
I have a Canon 10D sure it is an older model but by bot upgrading I have some sweet lenses :)

Debra
09-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Canon is just wonderful... and the cost of lens' - lol... especially "sweet" ones... I wouldn't be doing any upgrading either! :)

digitalbysarah
09-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm currently using a Sony Mavica CD-500. I love it, but I'm planning to get a Nikon SLR soon. If you are considering buying an digital SLR, perhaps you should check out the Nikon D50 instead of the Canon Rebel. It's cheaper and comparable, not to mention, I'm more of a Nikon fan than a Canon. :) Also, if you have or are going to purchase an SLR, you really should learn to use the manual settings on it. Otherwise, you've bought a really expensive point and shoot camera and aren't actually taking any better photos with it. It isn't tough to learn either, especially with the built in monitors on cameras now. That's just my opinion though, as a photographer.

IlaMarie
09-08-2006, 12:11 AM
Well Sarah, your input is worth it to me, as I am really INTO getting more 'bang for my buck', especially now that I am widowed and retired and JUST recently 'into' digi scrapping. I have two beautiful grandsons that I don't want to miss out on, as I did with my own three beautiful children.
Thanks much!
Ila

Susi
09-08-2006, 08:57 AM
I used a Fugi Zoom digital and just recently upgraded to a Nikkon Coolpix...it is small handy for your purse and makes some really good shots...And the program is easy for d/l-ing to your pc..
:-)

twirlyjoy
09-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I have a Kodak Z740 which I love to pieces (as my dd would say!). Its 10X zoom is fantastic, and i like the fact that it has loads of pre-set settings, but that i can adjust them too if I want (or if I knew how, which is on my list of 'to dos')

Jae
09-23-2006, 03:47 PM
I've got a FujiFilm Fine Pix as well, and I'm ok with it. I would love to get the Digital Rebel if I can save up enough for it, but I might do what Rebecca said and just get some nice Lenses for the one I got. Not Sure... *err

Xaria
10-20-2006, 11:12 PM
I have a Kodak Z740 which I love to pieces (as my dd would say!). Its 10X zoom is fantastic, and i like the fact that it has loads of pre-set settings, but that i can adjust them too if I want (or if I knew how, which is on my list of 'to dos')
I am looking at getting a new digital camera and my local shop has the kodak z650 for $100 off and it looks really great, so I would love to know if you have had any problems with your kodak.

twirlyjoy
10-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Have just replied to your pm, Xaria, but just in case anyone else wants to know, I love my Kodak and have had no problems with it at all. Since my last post, I have looked a bit more at the adjustable settings, rather than just using the pre-sets, of which there are loads, and it is very easy to adjust the settings.

Daniellesmama
10-21-2006, 04:16 AM
I was using a Kodak Easyshare 6330 and it was a nice camera, but we just bought a Canon Powershot S3 IS and it is fantastic!! The pics it takes have been impressive so far! It has both video and camera settings and you can take pictures while you are shooting video - how cool is that??!

I liked my Kodak, but it was SO SLOW to turn on. The Canon is on in a slit second!

steph
10-21-2006, 04:40 AM
I have a Canon PowerShot G2, and even though it's old, it's my baby!! We won't be upgrading soon cause we don't have the money...LOL... the only thing we are upgrading is our house.... we need a new electrical service... :( So any thing new is on old for a day or two!!!

twirlyjoy
10-21-2006, 07:48 AM
I liked my Kodak, but it was SO SLOW to turn on. The Canon is on in a slit second!

Maybe that is something they have changed with the Z-series cos mine isn't slow to turn on at all - flick the switch and its ready to take.

cpkmelissa
10-21-2006, 10:28 AM
My husband and I share a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. I love it, but I get tired of him taking it with him on days when I could have gotten some really great pics. So, I'm thinking of putting a nice camera on my wishlist now. lol

okblues
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Canon digital Rebel here and love it! Just need more lenses. We also have a Fuji FinePix for the kids and an older Canon Powershot.

Debra
10-24-2006, 02:51 PM
That's so funny... ditto here.. I love my Rebel (and ughh on the $$ lenses..lol) used the fuji for appraisal stuff and my 18 year old has the powershot.. Gee, wonder what the odds are on that combo!!?

sarah87
10-25-2006, 07:41 AM
in the moment i have the olympus c450. but it's so slow now. so i need to have a new one :)

but i'm not sre if i should buy a slr or not... because slr's a so big and to take along it's not that comfortabel. so my new fave is the olympus miu 750 does someone know it?
and if a slr then the canon eos 350d or one of the olympus e-serie :) but it's so expensive

okblues
10-26-2006, 10:47 AM
That's so funny... ditto here.. I love my Rebel (and ughh on the $$ lenses..lol) used the fuji for appraisal stuff and my 18 year old has the powershot.. Gee, wonder what the odds are on that combo!!?

Not sure about the odds Debra, but I bet they are pretty slim.*laugh

Leslie Emery
11-03-2006, 05:00 PM
I love my Canon Digital Rebel *yes

CrayonQueen
12-11-2006, 11:48 AM
I have a friend who is in the market for a basic point and shoot camera. She had a SonyCyberShot(it went on the fritz), and just wants something that will take good pics, esp. when she is trying to take pics of very active little ones!! If anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it!!

NikkiL
12-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I have been using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC70 for a couple of years. It has a 'burst mode' which takes 3 quick shots at a time. It works great for me because I too have very active little ones.

Marianne
03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I just bought a Canon 400D. And so far I love it. It takes great picures.
But I'm still learning how it works. I'm going to upgrade it with som new lenses after a while, when I can aford it. The camera is enough for now:D

crops2dawn
03-14-2007, 04:19 PM
I have the Kodak Easy Share DX6490 with a 10x optical zoom. I really cant complain about it except for the fact you have to have a steady hand. And somedays my hands just dont want to cooperate with my camera! But it take really nice pictures. Some day I hope to get the Canon Rebel, I hear that is the camera to have this days! But I will have to wait until the funds are available. My Sister got the Rebel, so if I ever really really need it I can always borrow hers! But I am scared to death to borrow it as it cost 2 grand, and with my luck I would probably drop it! Even though she has a warranty, I wouldnt trust myself!

bumblebeema
03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I have a Nikon D80 -- I also have a coolpix that I keep in my purse but I take the D80 everywhere (we call him snappy:wub1:).

Cherry47
03-14-2007, 05:26 PM
The Sony camera I had cost me 600.00 and recently it has died. I can still take pictures but when I turn it on, all I see are yellow and oranges lines and stripes. I don't know what's wrong with it. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong with it or do you know of a 8 megapixal at a good, good price I could purchase. I can't afford 600.00 anymore. I was working when I bought it.

Maisie
03-14-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a Kodak easy share too.
Don't like it much. DD has a Sony, I want one of those.

Doro
03-20-2007, 12:25 PM
I have a Pentax K100d and am very content I up to now. Are in addition, still to try!:twitcy:

MaryE
04-27-2007, 10:23 PM
I have a Nikon Coolpix L4 digital and a 25 year old Pentax MESuper SLR. I'm saviing up for a Pentax Digital SLR, cause I can use my Pentax lenses on it.

ABitDaffy
05-18-2007, 08:59 AM
I was thinking about starting a thread about this, 'cause of all the totally awesome pictures I've seen here! But, when I went looking, I found this one, so I thought I'd reply and that would bump it up.

I have a Canon Rebel XT and it, after my husband and kids, is my one true love. I have four lenses - the kit lens, a 70-200mm zoom (my favorite, favorite one), a 50mm prime, and a 70-300mm zoom that I use a lot at the beach.

We also have a Fuji FinePix that's missing some parts but still takes great pics and video too.

And, of course I can't forget the Fisher Price digital that belongs to my 3-year old. Yep, I'm starting her out in the family addiction early - she even has her own scrapbook stuff - nothing digital yet, just glue and paper, and she's horrible at cropping pictures - her pages look like layouts from a Body Farm with arms and heads and legs chopped off, but she's so proud of herself when she's done! But, she's actually pretty good with her little camera and she definitely has a photographer's mindset. "Now, you stand here and show me happy! - No! No! No! I say turn your head this way and SMILE!" You think she's seen me take one too many pics?

tborntreger
05-18-2007, 09:26 AM
I shoot a Nikon D40 but also have a Kodak DX6490. I love both!

TraciJ
05-18-2007, 09:30 AM
I think I'm one step up from your 3 year old's camera, Daffy!!!
I have a Kodak point and shoot that's been at the bottom of a pond :laugh:

It's an "ok" camera, except that all my pics are so full of noise and blurry if you get too close! I WANT to be using the Canon PowerShot A630, but that's a dream that's very far away!!

I don't have the patience for an SLR camera. I like to take pictures far too much to be fiddling with settings. I have GREAT respect for those that CAN use them and use them well!!
Wanna come take pics of my girls, Daffy??

ABitDaffy
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Anytime, Traci - your girls would be tooooo much fun to photograph! And the baby, too! I never really get to photograph fresh to the world babies!

LOL about the pond camera - my Fuji has had more juice spilled on it than our carpet! I have a friend who has the A630 (at least I think that's it) and really loves it. I hope you get it soon!

I love the ease of use that a point and shoot gives you - I still switch my Rebel to full auto when I just want to snap the moment. I play with my settings a lot more when I'm taking a bunch of pictures of the same subject. I'm still learning - there is so much to learn about photography and every day I realize how little I know. But, I'm having a blast learning!

TraciJ
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Ya know ... one of my favorite pictures of all times ... is when my youngest was 3 days old. The lady across the street was "supposed" to be a professional photographer ... so we asked her if she would be willing to take one of those "Baby in Daddy's Arm" pictures that are oh, so priceless ...

Well, she came over with the backdrop, the tripod, the lights, the whole 9 yards ... TOOK TONS of pictures (meanwhile, Kiki piddled on her Daddy so he had to remove his shirt ....) After that, she was just about done with the whole thing and started to WAIL .. and I snapped this picture with my little point and shoot ... all of her "professional" pictures? Not a ONE of them came out ... only this one ... and it's priceless to me!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/Whytewolfsangel/BabyKikiBean.jpg

I want MORE like this one :laugh:

ABitDaffy
05-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Oh my goodness, that picture is just sooooo beautiful! I love it! I so wish I had pictures of my girls like this - I didn't know squat about cool newborn pictures when my oldest was born and Abbie didn't come home from the hospital til she was over a week old and then I was sooooo worried about getting any kind of germs on her (the NICU terrified me with stories about preemie babies and germs) that I was too scared to try any really artsy pics with her. I'm so glad that you have that one - I'm sure you'll get some that are just as beautiful with the baby! See, this is proof that, while a great camera is great, true beauty in photographs comes when there's love on the other side of the lens!

߰
05-18-2007, 10:21 AM
We dh and I have a canon XTI, just upgraded. Now the lenses.. he just bought a wide angel on ebay......oh my!!!

ellenb
05-18-2007, 12:05 PM
I have a Kodak P850 which is 12x zoom, 5 mp. It is almost two years old so it has of course been replaced by other models. I believe Kodak has a new one coming out soon called the Z885 which looks similar but don't know the specs on it. I have been very happy with it! However, I always wanted a smaller camera with decent zoom and megapixels to carry with me on "anytime" basis as I tend to be lazy. My husband came through this Christmas and got me a Panasonic LZ5 which cost about $179 at the time, but I know it has dropped in price as again newer models came out. I am VERY happy with this little camera, it's got a 6x zoom and 6 mp. A little bigger than a lot of the slim, trim ones, but I think I'd rather know I am holding something. It has everything from a simple setting to scene modes. Both of my cameras have Image Stabilization which I think everyone should look for in their cameras, it really helps, it is not perfect but it helps! My friend got a Nikon L6 and it's much simpler than mine and it doesn't have Image Stabilization and she just gave me some of her pictures, it is capable of taking very nice shots, but I think she's having trouble finding a good basic setting to keep it on as I found her camera is shooting at 800 ISO and she has many blurred shots, so we need to have a photo safari so I can help her get the best use of the camera. Before my husband got mine I was considering the Nikon L5 (which has IS). Another friend has the Sony T10 which is 3x, but I have not seen many of her shots, but I know that also has IS.
Ellen

ckbymommy
05-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't have the patience for an SLR camera. I like to take pictures far too much to be fiddling with settings. I have GREAT respect for those that CAN use them and use them well!!

That's the great thing about a good SLR, They have so many different settings, including fully automatic! Even as a professional, I use the auto settings on occasion :wink:

saraschlick
05-22-2007, 08:07 AM
I have a Canon S2 IS. I LOVE my camera! I have a very active 15 month old boy and it keeps up with him! We previously had a basic Sony Cybershot that took good pics, too, but it took forever to recharge and shoot. My Canon recharges so fast! It's pretty much a point and shoot, but I can play around with some of the settings if I have time. It really shines when taking outdoor pictures.

babyofmine
05-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I have an Olympus D-540. It is slow sometimes, but I won't be able to afford another one for quite some time, so I make do with it. :D It takes pictures "big" enough for 2ft by 3 ft posters, so I'm truly okay with it. What would I do with more megapixels?? LOL

Rebecca
06-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Ok figured I should update and tell ya all about my newest family member... My canon 30D :P

ckbymommy
06-06-2007, 06:44 AM
We have a Nikon D70 and a Nikon D200 - love them both!! The D200 has some features that the D70 doesn't have and has a higher resolution, though the D70 is lighter. (I've hard that the D80 has the higher quality of the D200 in the lighter body of the D70.) These are our studio cameras, and when I go to an event and want good snapshots, I usually grab the D70.

I also carry an HP Photosmart M517 (5.1mp) in my purse, because I don't want to miss a single photographic opportunity :wink:. Though the HP is OK, I was so much happier with my previous point 'n shoot (it was a kodak DX3600 and only 2.2mp), the HP really eats the batteries and the zoom lense isn't as good quality - but after 5 years of use (and abuse, LOL) the kodak finally played out :no:.

OK, so now that you've read a novel about my cameras, back to your regularly scheduled forum reading, hehehe.

KattyZak
06-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Traci, that is a priceless photo and also a good story to boot.

I started out with the Sony Mavica and wasn't happy with what I paid for it and the slowness of it.
Last year I bought the Nikon D50 which I am still learning. I have both the kit lens and the 70-300 lens. On my SLR Nikon I had one lens, 35-200, and I miss having only one lens. I would say its been a bumpy road. On Memorial Day weekend I took my DD and her GF out for a photo shoot and discovered my lens kit is broken...yikes! I am trying to get away from the automatic mode but its been slow. It would probably help if I opened my new book, Understanding Exposure.
I also have a Kodak that I stood outside at Best Buy at 3:30 the day after Thanksgiving for. Well, my DD left it at her GF's BF and we have had one heck of a time getting it back. Well, last night after her soccer game we were near their house and got it....and its broken! GRRRR! Don't know if its just the display or if its the whole thing. Wanted that for a purse camera as well as golf, skiing and more.

digiScrapper
06-07-2007, 11:14 AM
I know DSLR's are all the rage right now, but I love my Canon G6. I can use it in auto or manual mode. I'm still learning all the settings, but it gives me plenty of flexibility. It's pretty small and easy to carry, though not exactly purse size. I have a wide angle and a telephoto lense. They work differently than the DSLR in that they fit over the regular lense. But they work great. Unfortunately, Canon has moved on to the G7 now which I understand is a completely re-designed. Glad I got my G6.

brandiwest
06-07-2007, 11:31 AM
I have a Sony DSC-R1 and I LOVE it!! Definately a great camera!!!

MnMommy2
06-14-2007, 08:37 PM
I have the original Canon Digital Rebel 300D. I so want to upgrade though, maybe for Christmas!

jillybean
06-14-2007, 08:51 PM
I have a Canon A95...it's been a really good camera. It's 5MP and has a flip out screen that you can turn at any angle. I use it to hold over my head and take shots over crowds. Takes great pictures, but takes 4 AA batteries, so it's kinda chunky to carry. It's quite good and I recommend it.

As soon as I get a huge chunk of money, I really want to buy the Nikon D80...now THAT's a nice camera. Mmm.

Xaria
06-14-2007, 09:23 PM
What an awesome photo Traci. I love the story.

At easter, I bought the Kodak easy share z710 and I'm not too impressed. The 6mp version takes much better shots. I know two people with the 650 and their photos are much sharper than mine. One of the people is my dad with his first digital camera. :no:

Might have to give my partner this camera and go for a new one when finances allow...

muslimgirl
07-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I just got a Canon Powershot A640 of my mate for my birthday last week I'm loving how easy it is to use and it even has a setting for children and pets to take good pics of them when they move allot which I had trouble sometime with my other camera allso it takes pics allot quicker my other camera which was a Canon Powershot A310 used to take like nearly a minute to take a photo sometimes it drove me mad cos the kids would move or stop smiling by the time the picture was taken.

Pahina722
07-08-2007, 05:54 PM
I use a Kodak Easy Share DX7630. When I bought it three years ago, it was a huge investment for me as a novice photographer ($400). Now, I have my eyes set on the Nikon D40. I'd like to move to a DSLR so that I have a little more versatility. Also, the Kodak is SLOW when it comes to taking flash photos and doesn't have any kind of a burst mode. Action photos are impossible.

Maisie
07-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I have the same camera as Paige.
And I also want a Nikon D40. I was trying to win one. But, my luck, I didn't! LOL

Pahina722
07-09-2007, 01:52 PM
If we weren't remodeling our master bath in the next two months, I'ld ask for the new camera for my birthday. BUT, I feel guilty for asking for something that major when we're going to be spending thousands on the house. Usually at Christmas both my 'rents and the inlaws ask what I want---Best Buy DOES sell Nikon, doesn't it??? Perhaps I shall ask for Best Buy gift cards!

sha
07-23-2007, 12:14 PM
I have a canon powershot a560. Bought it recently after testing out my cousins canon and I absolutely love it. Was going to buy the a550 but this one is slightly better.

Course I am still paying for it so I better love it.

datascrapper23
07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
I have a olympus SP-350 8.0 megapixels 3X optical zoom

Babeth
08-03-2007, 02:18 AM
I have a Panasonic DMC FZ8. It's my first numerical camera.

lillypug34
08-04-2007, 04:24 AM
I fell in love with photography when I was using the sony cybershot - super easy for beginners. Now I own a Nikon d50 and I don't go anywhere without it!! I love it ... and my 50mm lens is awesome for taking portraits of my kids.

teasy_hmy
01-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I have a Pentax Optio S5i and I really like it! The cam is small and I can take it everywhere I want to. But I'm thinking about buying a Canon Eos or another DSLR. Well, maybe I should win the lottery first.

wildstorm
01-06-2008, 04:49 PM
If you like the panasonics you could get the TZ3 which is the baby brother to the Fz20. This camera is the one I have as I wanted to get one to fit in my hand bag. It has 10 times zoom and anti shake. Had the 12 times zoom FZ7 but too big for the handbag. I get great photos. If I was to get a n SLR it would be the Canon 400D (Rebel I think you call it) I work in a camera shop so see heaps of cameras.

My husband and I share a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. I love it, but I get tired of him taking it with him on days when I could have gotten some really great pics. So, I'm thinking of putting a nice camera on my wishlist now. lol

KellsBells
01-07-2008, 09:22 PM
I have my Kodak Z650 ... I love it but it is big and hard to carry in my bag. So for trips out I use our Canon Ixus 65 ... which takes awesome pictures ... in fact they both do ... now to find some time to learn how to use them both properly!!!

Cheers

taun
01-07-2008, 10:31 PM
I have a Kodak Easy Share C743 and I love it! Takes good pic upclose and at a distance. However, I will be getting a new one, my hubby leaves in March for Iraq and is taking it with him!! :no:

tweederbug
01-18-2008, 05:21 AM
I upgraded from a Sony Cybershot 5.1 megapixel to a Canon Rebel XTi. That was a big leap for me. When my son was born in 2005 my husband bought me the Sony. Then when I was pregnant with my daughter I begged him for a rebel.Well,5 weeks after she was born he took me and we bought my Rebel and I absolutely love it. I am still figuring out alot of the settings because it is totally different than a point and shoot LOL!! I have no need to upgrade yet. No more kids for me so I don't have a reason :wink:!

precious
02-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I use DSLR...Canon 40D.

wildstorm
02-08-2008, 09:13 PM
That Canon 400D SLR camera that was on my wish list, well last week a very dear friend brought me one as an earlybirhtday present and very early Christmas gift. Now I have a great camera to take to New Zealand in a wweks time when I go to welcome my 5th grand child.

shavari
03-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Im currently wishing, hoping, praying for the Nikon D40X Twin Pack
http://www.camerastore.com.au/diamondcamera/product.asp?product=Nikon+D40X+Twin+Lens+18%2D55mm +%26+55%2D200mm+f4%2D5%2E6+VR
from a local supplier .. Ive had a quote of approx $1100 AUS right now .. but in july that should drop by another $100 - $200

Go tax refunds!!

4shadows
03-25-2009, 05:03 AM
I have a Canon Power Shot S51S. I love it but really want the Rebel!

7rkaat
04-08-2009, 09:41 AM
I`m using a canon 400D ..without any lenses only the original lens...=)

n i hope to buy the newest nikon ..

=)

katiehardin
04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I use a Nikon D50. Although I have several lens I rarely use anything but the VR 18-200.

I tend to be over protective of my D50 (won't leave it in the car, make someone hold it on their lap rather then setting it on the floorboard, etc) so I often appropriate use of my younger son's point and shoot Kodak EasyShare M753.

I disagree with the statement that using a dSLR on automatic gives the same quality as a POS. The sharpness and color of a SLR are not the same on a point and shoot (To get the same color from a POS photo you usually have to change the blend mode in PS to overlay). Yes learning how to use the manual settings will improve your photography, but there are still times when AUTO is needed.

I'd like to upgrade to a D300, but I don't see having that kind of money in the near future.

tbcarter2002
04-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I have a Kodak Easy Share Z650 which I really love but it's kind of bulky so I recently bought a Fuji FinePix which is great because it is so small, I can carry it around in my purse or my pocket. It takes great photos and video too. Now if I would just take the time to learn some of the features. <G>

Scrappinsass
04-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm an SLR die hard - I went to digital but found the shutter speed impossibly slow and really didn't care for the view finder, so now that Nikon has come up with a camera in my price range that has a high definition movie function, I've finally gone back to SLR and I'm SOOO happy I did! I'm now the proud owner and user of the Nikon D90 with a 18m - 200m lens. Thanks to my DDDH (Dear, darling, devoted Hubby) for all his support in my evolving hobbies! My Hubby's cell phone has an awesome camera / movie function as well so we use it when we don't have the other cameras on hand - I have a camera in my cell phone too but it's not as good as hubby's. -- The D90 has almost all the features of the D300 (I read plenty of reviews before purchasing) so I got most of the features without most of the cost!

China
04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I own a Canon AE-1 that I love to pieces. It's about 30 years old, but from everyone that I talk to, it's one of the best cameras ever put out on the market. A friend actually offered me $2,000.00 for it, and a photographer friend offered a bit more, but I won't sell it.

I also own a Fuji Finepix S3200. I'm not crazy about it. The pictures just don't turn out that well.

I just purchased and had delivered a Sony DSLR A300k. I got a 16 GB Flash card with it. That will hold quite a few pictures. I've only got the lens that it came with for now. I can't say how I like it, since I only got it a couple of days ago. Hope to spend some time on the weekend getting some use out of it.

michellemomof3
04-23-2009, 04:30 AM
I used to have a Kodak Easyshare, which I loved but it got broken so then I bought the Sony Cybershot. The Sony is not as good as the Kodak b'cuz it blurs easily when shooting in the dark. I would definately buy another Easyshare if I had to buy a new one.

catschwartz
04-23-2009, 04:50 AM
I am glad I found this thread today! I own a Kodak easy share 6490 which I love. when we bought it, it was pricey, but it had a 10X zoom, which was one feature I wanted. It also had a view finder, and a LCD screen. I dropped it last week, and thought it was dead, so we went looking. I managed to revive the camera, so now we don't need one quite as soon. I am having a hard time deciding between point and shoot and SLR. The point and shoot decision only has a few choices because one of my requirements is still a view finder. Trifocals and habit just make it necessary. :) also, I want at least as much zoom as I had!There were other features I had that I also tried to find.
My husband has an old Nikon SLR, and so he is interested in the SLR. I just don't know if I will like it or not! I am so used to just being able to take the photos of the grand kids, birds, cats, and such. I know it will take better photos, but I am not sure they will be better with my taking them!
Anyway, I have been reading your comments and will think more about it!

chacha730
04-23-2009, 08:46 AM
I have the Canon Rebel Xt and extra Canon zoom lens EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 that I absolutely love! Havent put it down since i got for my birhtday last summer!

101catpawz
04-30-2009, 05:15 AM
I advise against Kodak. I've had three bad cameras and one good one. I gave up on them. I recommend Cannon. No problems with them ever.

Gem
04-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Canon Powershot SD880 IS Digital Elph--purchased it in February 2009

This is such a portable camera, but it really works fantastic!!! It even has a pretty good macro feature which is a LOT of fun to play with. It captures amazing video. I was trained to expect the grainy, poor quality video from from my first digital camera. I didn't take much video while I was on vacation. But when I got home and saw the incredible video sharpness I was bummed that I hadn't taken more video of those wonderful waves of the ocean...

phardy1945
04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I just received my new Canon Rebel Xsi and have a lot to learn. I have taken seven or eight pictures so far, all on fully automatic, and they look wonderful.

carena
04-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Canon G10

Just recently purchased this camera - a little more money than I planned on spending but I love it. No regrets.

bsilvia
07-29-2009, 05:42 AM
I'm using Canon 20D and various lenses (50mm, 60mm+macro, 17-40mm, 8mm.... etc)

S

britnkaysmemaw2
07-29-2009, 07:44 AM
My DH has the Sony A100 DSLR with some awesome lenses with it, but I am a little intimidated by it. So, I just bought me the Fuji Finepix S1500. It is a 10MP with a 12X zoom. I haven't had lots of chances to use it yet, but so far love it. It will give me the opportunity to learn and then hopefully be able to use the A100 and not feel scared. Hopefully next month I can take the Photography classes. This month it just wasn't in the budget :no:

noweesnana
08-02-2009, 04:34 AM
I just purchased the Canon SX10 10.0 mp., 20X zoom. LOVE IT!! I had an older model and sold it because it was a bit bulky, bought the Nikon point and shoot to replace it, was never happy with the Nikon. It was a good camera if all you want to do is point and shoot. So I traded the sleek, fit-in-my purse point and shoot for the bulkier Canon but have NO regrets! Great close ups, but you have to have a "very" steady hand or use a tri-pod! I take this camera with me everywhere I go, bulky or not...

geniaBeana
08-02-2009, 07:25 PM
I have a Canon 40D with the Speedlite 580exII, 28-135mm, 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8.

i_am_mamabear
08-15-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm a Nikon girl. I am currently using the D40 but I have outgrown it and am dying to upgrade. Once the finances allow, I will probably upgrade to the D300 or, if I am really lucky, the D700. Going to be a long while though before that happens.

Edna B
08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
I respect the Nikons because they are great cameras, but I am a Canon fan. I have been using the Rebel XT since it came out and I love it. I have just upgraded to the Rebel XT1i, and am having a grand time learning to use it. The pictures I get are fantastic. My favorite lens is a 50mm.

triciacurtis
09-01-2009, 11:12 AM
A couple months ago my husband and I bought the Nikon D5000 and I absolutely love it! We have the 2 lenses for different zoom options. I definitely recommend it!

donakat
09-20-2009, 11:05 AM
My Canon just gave out last week and am looking to upgrade to the Nikon D40. Any problems with this one, those of you who have it? My Canon A95 was great, and nice and small, so that I will miss. I'll also miss the twisty adjustable LCD screen of my Canon, but I'd have to pay about $300 more to get that on the Nikon D5000 or D90. Any advice is welcome.

tweederbug
09-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I can't help you out but I just bought the Canon XSi and I LOV this camera. I had the XTi but the clarity of this camera is truly worth the money spent.

Debra
10-25-2009, 05:29 AM
My Canon just gave out last week and am looking to upgrade to the Nikon D40. Any problems with this one, those of you who have it? My Canon A95 was great, and nice and small, so that I will miss. I'll also miss the twisty adjustable LCD screen of my Canon, but I'd have to pay about $300 more to get that on the Nikon D5000 or D90. Any advice is welcome.

I think this is the one Holly has Dona... she might have some useful input for you :)

SparkysGirl
10-25-2009, 07:46 AM
I use a Canon Rebel T1i ... and, I love it. I had the 8 mp prior (used it for about 5 years), but my dh saw the 15 mp on sale at Best Buy and bought it for me. It came as a bundle with a EF-S55-250mm lens.

I have enjoyed it so much. I took a photography class at my local scrapbooking store ... helped me to understand what I was doing with the camera so that I can now shoot on manual versus auto.

4theluvofscrap
11-01-2009, 09:24 AM
I bought my first Digital SLR camera 2 yrs ago Canon Rebel XT and I love it. However over the past year, I have been wanting to upgrade to one with a bigger LCD. Maybe in the next year or so I will purchase a second Canon Ti1 and my Rebel will be my backup. I just wan to be sure my exising lenses will work with the new camera. :wub1:

ponicedan
11-01-2009, 08:55 PM
I have a Canon Powershot SX 10 IS, 10 megapixel, point & shoot. I love it! It goes everywhere with me. I take alot of soccer shots of friends and the high optical 20x lets me take great action shots and it has an image stablizer.

Flipp
11-20-2010, 05:55 AM
Hi girls !
I use Canon 500D
it's amazing :wink:

ev65roses
11-20-2010, 08:14 AM
I loved my Kodak EasyShare P850 with 10X zoom and finally quit on me after 5 years of hard use.
I recently purchased a Kodak EasyShare Z981 with 26 zoom and I can count the antlers on a buck way back to he woods. I can zoom in on someone without them knowing at parties. You know how shy people are getting their pictures taken. It is a bit bigger and the batteries make it heavier. If you use the viewer the batteries are drained real fast so to save I use the eye viewer. It uses rechargeables and really liked the lithium battery I had with the P850.

Blackthorne
11-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Its a SONY but it is already old. Have to get me a new
one someday soon. Before Id a Canon and was very
pleased with it too.:biggrin:

Barrett
02-04-2011, 01:41 AM
I used cannon digital and sony digital camera.both are really nice to pic taking.

codys
06-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I have a Canon 50D (actually 2 of them- I shoot weddings)- better body construction then the 60D and even though it's not one of the top professional models, with higher end lens you can't tell the difference. LOVE it!

Precepts and Promises
07-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I have a Nikon D40--probably one of the last sold! I'm really, really happy with it, but I have a severe case of lens envy that I dare not tell my husband about!

Amanda
07-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I have a Canon Rebel too, Lisa and love it. I would like a digital version too, but plan to have a darkroom in our home when we move.

angel_phil
11-11-2011, 11:45 PM
i have a canon camera..:)

Heather / HK Designs
01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a Nikon D3100 DSLR and am looking to upgrade soon to the Nikon D7000 DSLR... I mostly use my 50mm 1.8 .. I just love primes but need to invest in a good zoom for when my daughter starts track again.. but the one I want is $1200... ugh.. I don't see my hubby being too happy with me wanting a lense like that just for track..lol

Amanda
01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Canon Digital Rebel XT. It's so easy to use.. even has the "idiot settings" which work wonderfully for me :) I don't think I'll be upgrading anytime soon.
Me too- only film not digital- for outdoor mostly.
I have a new Kodak Easy Share too that takes high rez pics and does my videos. :D

Debra
03-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I always loved my Cannon Rebel ... shopping now for a new one though and thinking of going with Nikon.

SparkysGirl
03-11-2012, 06:47 PM
WOW! Since I posted in this thread I have upgraded to a Canon T2i, and then a Canon 60D. I LOVE Canon cameras! I really have lens envy, too, Barbara. My next major purchase will be a decent lens.

scrapbuddy2
03-01-2014, 11:00 PM
Nobody has replied to this for 2 years so not sure its still open, but was thinking would be fun to see what new photography equipment we have acquired over the last few years! I have a Canon 40d (will probably have to upgrade it someday but for now it works great)

My fav lens is one my boss got me when I retired (would never have bought for myself I doubt, a 17-55 canon 2.8 IS. It is a wonderful wide angle lens and I have enjoyed more of a photohojournalistic approach as opposed to a long range telephoto lens.

I also have a tamron 28-200 which I rarely use, and can borrow about 20 from a friend --have her macro right now. its not a 1:1 macro which I had once that was stolen, and maybe someday but there are a lot more things I'd rather have first...a new die cutting machine...etc.''

Tanya:blahblah:

vicki23
03-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Funny you have resurrected this thread. I have just bought myself a Canon 600D Twin lens camera. It is the first DSLR I have ever had. It is taking a bit of getting used to understanding the ISO and FStop. But so far I am loving it. I would love a Macro lens for photographing objects to extract for my kits but after pricing one yesterday at the photography shop I will have to settle for the close up lens kit.

gingerscraps
03-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Vicki you don't have to purchase a micro lens to do those kinds of shots. Look into buying some extension tubes, they are just metal round rings that keep the lens further from the sensor thus allowing closer shots. They run about $60 I got mine off of amazon. When buying make sure you get the canon one with the electronic sensors. Hollar at me and I will find what you need and try and help you long distance.

Oh, I have two camera first love is my Canon 5D mark2. The only thing I don't like about this camera it is heavy and with a lens weights around 4 lbs. Second camera is a Canon Rebel txi. I am currently teaching my 8 year old granddaughter how to use it.. I have been a professional photographer for the last 15 years, but have had to slow way down when I broke my hip....so when that happened I started designing in April of 2013...that's my story!

AngelaK
03-28-2014, 05:05 PM
I have a Canon Powershot 50 and it is great in good lighting, but indoors not so much. I have to go for a small camera - as opposed to a nice big SLR with a superduper lense which is what I would like - because I can't cope with anything heavy (I have M.E.)

scrapbuddy2
03-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Vicki, I agree that you do not need to spend a lot of money to get a macro lens to get the images you are wanting. Have you ever tried doing scanography for the really detailed items? So much easier to extract, just make sure you don't use the lid and its dark enough above the item to give it depth without background stuff. Here is one that has been done.. http://www.tipsfromthetopfloor.com/wp-content/orchid.jpg

or this one http://www.centralmass.org/media-center/releases/portraits-garden-illuminating-nature-through-scanner-photography

and a whole pinterest board http://www.pinterest.com/source/myneighborsgarden.com/

I blessedly have a backlight scanner so I can also o a white background not just black..

http://www.brillgallery109.com/exhibits/botanical/bio.php

Hope you find some things here you would like to play with. I read an article about scanning your yard...it was amazing!

Tanya