PDA

View Full Version : How to use a Layered Template in PS or PSE

HollyS
01-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Layered Templates are a wonderful way to jump start your creative side when putting together a layout. It gives you the opportunity to decide on the colors and add embellishments, journaling, etc. and still ultimately move things around if you want. So one might ask how to use one. Well below is a step by step guide on using one.

1. Open the layered .psd file in your program. It may give you a message saying that
your sketch needs to be updated, go ahead and update it. Usually this happens if it has text on a path or fonts that you don't have on your computer.

2. Save the layered .psd file as something else so you don't accidentally save over the original.

3. It is probably easiest to start with the background layer, so go to your Layers palette and scroll down to the bottom until you get to the layer named "background". Click on this layer to select it.

4. Open up the paper you would like to use as your background, and move it over to the layered sketch (either drag/drop or copy/paste the background paper over). It will insert itself just above the layer named "background".

5. Moving onto the rest of the layers...for each one, open up the paper you would like to use for the layer, and move it over to the layered sketch (again, by using the drag/drop or copy/paste methods).

6. Once it is in the layered sketch, you'll notice that it takes up the whole layout but its alright! Over in the layers palette, move the paper DIRECTLY above the layer you want it to take the shape of, and hit Ctrl+G (in PSCS2 it's Ctrl+Alt+G). It will "crop" to the shape of the layer below it, but the paper will still be intact so you can move it around or resize it if need be! If you are sure you don't need to move it around, then you can highlight the two layers by clicking on them both while holding down the shift key and then press CTRL+E to combine them.

7. As for the elements...usually in the sketch, the element layers are just placed somewhere to give you an idea of where to put your elements. Put the elements you would like on the page and arrange them to go with the sketch, and then either hide or delete the placement layers, since you don't need them anymore.

8. The last step is the title and journaling. There may or may not be a text layer that has all of the text together to show general placement. Select this layer and delete it to add your own title and journaling.

As always, layers of a template can be moved around so if you don't like where something is, you can move it!

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/nsd/nsdhunt09.png (http://216.108.233.31/nsd09/hunt/andreagold_temp465.zip)

Debra
01-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Hey Sis...good job on this Tutorial!! :congrats: :congrats:

NikkiL
01-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks Holly. Your tutorial was really helpful.

okblues
01-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Helpful tutorial Holly. Thank you!

g_robb53
01-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for writing this tutorial - I'm a newbie and am looking forward to trying this!

quiltdeb
01-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Holly, I'm so excited. I've been looking for instructrions on layered templates for a couple of weeks and your tutorial finally helped me out. THANK YOU sooo much.

FairyDust
02-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Oh, Thank you so much for this helpful tutorial Holly!! I have just printed out these instructions. I have downloaded several templates but I haven't actually tried any yet. So this will help me take the plunge...and then I'm sure I'll have another addiction...digital templates!! :hello:

me&tgrs2
02-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Great tutorial - just what I needed!!

Robbi1
02-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Oh goodie, hope I can follow instructions. Michaele showed me how to work on templates, but I wrote the instructions, now just have to get them out and try try try! I have an old computer that doesnt like complicated and keeps locking up! Thanks again!

babydoe
02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
I have just started working with templates. I used Debra's free template to create this LO that I posted last night. They are so much fun! Thanks Debra!

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1898&limit=recent

ginabee
02-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Wonderful! Just what I needed. Thank you.

babyofmine
03-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Is there any way to use the templates in PSP? I haven't been able to figure it out....
thanks for the tut though!

okblues
03-04-2007, 03:43 PM
These are the instructions I include with my templates in the store. Hope this helps.

Paintshop Pro Users

1. Open the layered psd file. Make a duplicate of the psd file or save it with a different name so you donít save over the original file. You may want to use it again.

2. Open the papers and photos you would like to use in your layout.

3. Click on the layer you want to begin with to make it active. Move the paper you wish to use to the layered template. You can either drag & drop the paper or copy (CTRL+C) & paste (CTRL+L).

4. Make sure your paper layer is directly above the layer you want to work with. Select the active template layer (CTRL+A), then float the selection (CTRL+F) and then defloat the selection (CTRL+SHIFT+F). Invert the selection (CTRL+I). Click on the paper layer to make it active and press the delete key on the keyboard. This will delete the excess paper, cropping the paper layer to the shape of the template layer you selected. Deselect (CTRL+D) and hide or delete the template layer you used. Repeat these steps with the rest of the layers.

5. On most templates, the embellishments are a guide for placement. Once you have your elements in place you can hide or delete the unnecessary layers.

6. Add your title and/or journaling as desired. Unfortunately, the text paths included with some templates will not be usable in PSP, but you may use them as a guide for placement. You will need to hide or delete the title and journaling placement layers.

7. Have fun creating!

logicgrandma
03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks, okblues.:biggrin: I was just wondering the same thing as babyofmine (hee-hee she's DD #6).:laugh:

But now we even have the tut. :wink:

:vb_chirolp_iei: :dancing:

babyofmine
03-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Thank you sooooo much! You rock! :D

silverq21
10-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Thanks so much for the tutorial for PSE. I realized when I read this that I have been doing things the hard way. Using this new method will simplify everything!

DiamondDesign
10-25-2007, 11:41 AM
I went thru this tutorial (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/tutorials/ps/PS_Using_Templates.pdf) and couldn't get "Now type Ctrl-g" on page 6 to work for me. I went back to my old method of selections with the magic wand.

(in PSCS2 it's Ctrl+Alt+G) Who knew it would be just different in PSCS3 (and 2). Using that one extra key made layered templates that much easier to use.

himunsie
02-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I am new to using templates and frankly new to digital scrapbooking but have found I love using templates. My question is can I add drop shadows? How do I edit the drop shadows when I'm using a template?

HollyS
02-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi, yes you sure can! Templates come in layers.... and when you add papers and clip them to a layer, it's still it's own layer. You need to add the drop shadow on the layer that was in the template, not the clipping layer. Hope that make sense!

HollyS
02-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi, yes you sure can! Templates come in layers.... and when you add papers and clip them to a layer, it's still it's own layer. You need to add the drop shadow on the layer that was in the template, not the clipping layer. Hope that make sense!

Also, on our menus at the top of every page, under Resources > Tutorials, there are tutorials with screen shots that may be of even more use to you. Here's the on templates in Photoshop...

http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/tutorials/ps/PS_Using_Templates.pdf

tweederbug
02-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Very nicely put..I just figured out how to do a template in CS2 and I love it. I hope that this will give someone else the chance to get in on this wonderful layout creation called a template.

kukigari
03-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Thank you for this sooooo good tutorial!!!:wink::biggrin:

Scrappinsass
04-10-2009, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the easy to understand instructions. I could picture it in my head what had to be done!.. Now it's easy peasy :) :congrats:

karbi
04-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the help.