PDA

View Full Version : Tornado in IA

rumkimom
05-26-2008, 06:10 AM
I am not sure how many of you have heard about the tornado that hit Parkersburg, IA...I believe it is in the national news right now. Well, Cheri (HisKid) and my parents live there. We got a call yesterday evening (I had not heard about it at that time yet)....our parents & brother are OK, but their house was hit, but is still standing. The windows were all blown out and part of the roof (over the entryway) is gone. Their house is behind the high school football field (I know that the damage of the HS is all over the news), so they are very close to it. They think that structually, their house is totaled. They are still in their house...they called me this morning. About 1/3 of the town is gone (flattened). I lived there for 3 years so this just shocking to me. I know several of the folks who have completely lost their homes.

Please pray for the people in the town. So far it is know that there were 7 people killed. (My dad found one of then, then later also helped find that person's spouse as well). Here is a link to photos of the devestation:
http://www.courierwebcasts.com/play.php?vid_id=966&file=052508-tornado-show/soundslider.swf

Sexy__Eyes
05-26-2008, 06:33 AM
OMG my prayers are with you and your family.

sparkles
05-26-2008, 06:36 AM
I am so glad your family is okay. I live about 1 1/2 hours away from there. My family was actually pretty close to all the action going on. I will pray for all the families from there.

emst
05-26-2008, 06:39 AM
Oh Wendy, how awful for that town. I'm glad to hear that your family is okay but pray for the families that lost their loved ones. Tornados hit here two weeks ago, we were lucky, one touched down 20 miles north of here and the other one 12 miles east of us. Your family and the familes of that town are in my prayers.

Helen
05-26-2008, 06:46 AM
OMG - how terrible - yes I have seen it on TV this morning. Those storms came on through my area early this morning - bad - but no tornado here.
We're supposed to get bad storms again later today and tonight.

Is cherie (hiskid) ok too?

Just terrible. Thanks for updating us - our prayers go out to your family and friends back there.

HUGS!

Gem
05-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Wendy,
How hard this must be for you to lose so much of what was familiar to you. I feel for you and your parents and the people of Parkersburg. It sounds like they might be feeling pretty shocked and dazed right now over their incredible losses.

Debra
05-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Yes, I also saw this on the news... How horrible. My prayers go out for all of those impacted by this.

HisKid
05-26-2008, 07:46 AM
I can tell Wendy was frazzled when she wrote this ... I'm OK because I don't actually live in IA as she said. :D I received the call from our brother and in turn called Wendy yesterday afternoon/evening. I was also able to speak with our parents this morning and found they are ok ... they don't have water or electricity right now and don't know how long they will be without it. Thank-you all for your concern and prayers!!

tweederbug
05-26-2008, 07:54 AM
My heart goes to you and your family and all of those hit by this tornado. I have family in Cedar Falls.

twirlyjoy
05-26-2008, 08:12 AM
oh boy - how awful! Am definitely thinking of you and everyone else affected by this.

Mom_of_5
05-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh goodness, Wendy! I'm so glad your family is alright. The pics of the area are heartbreaking. I'll keep you and yours in my prayers!

sillyleann
05-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I live in Tornado Alley as well. This can be so devastating! I will be praying for them.

Maisie
05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I have seen the news, and this is horrible.
I am so glad your family is ok.

ABitDaffy
05-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Wendy, I'm glad that your family is okay. Those pictures are just heartbreaking....

rumkimom
05-27-2008, 06:04 AM
Thanks all.... yikes, I missed the 's and it changed the meaning of that sentence....opps! I meant to say Cheri's and my parents!! Cheri lives out in AZ (yes, we live at the opposite end of the country from her).

My parents called me again this morning to let me know (or rather my daughter know) that they found their other cat...she was hiding on top of the sauna my parents have in the basement. She is SO scared and will not come down yet, so they put some food and water up there for her. Poor baby.

The inspector will be coming today to check out their house so they will find out whether they can fix it or it they will have to re-build (on the current foundation).

At clearer picture of the damage: the windows all blown in, so glass is everywhere, but the photos on the wall and all the things that my parents treasure are fine. Mom's scrapbooking stuff was all set up under the windown in her scrapping room, but is UNDAMAGED (not even blown all over, it is just where she left it!)....even being right below the window. All of her old photos are also untouched. The hole....is acutally a hole in the roof over the entryway....also part of the wall in the garage is gone, and the 3 vehicles all have some sort of damage, but are all drivable.

Cheri (HisKid) and Mike are on their way to IA right now (and one of my cousins and her husband are already there to help out)....my BIL has built 2 complete houses, so he will be a BIG help, sepecially if they are able to just fix the house other than re-building. I wish I could go, but I can't....not with 3 children (ages 2, 6, and 9).

Karen M in FL
05-27-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm so glad your family is fine. I was worried about my son when I heard about the one that struck north of St. Paul where he lives but he said he was fine and that they didn't even have rain. Its amazing the difference 20 miles can make in these things.

britnkaysmemaw2
05-27-2008, 11:09 AM
My prayers and thoughts are with everyone.

rumkimom
05-31-2008, 09:10 AM
Here is a link to the blog Cheri (HisKid) & I created to update family & friends. Cheri posted a photo of mom/dad's house and a few other photos. She willpost more soon. I also posted photos of what the veiw behind their house looked like before (at Christmas time).

http://wesurvivedanf5.blogspot.com/

Debra
05-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Wendy... what a true blessing your family survived this tornado! What a terrible storm ... so much destruction. Thanks for sharing your blog with us... Hugs.. I'm sure that cleaning up and re-building is really going to be a large task and my heart goes out to everyone who has been touched by this terrible tornado.

twirlyjoy
05-31-2008, 11:30 AM
wow I don't know what to say - there was certainly someone looking over them that day. What a nightmare for them to have to clear it all up. Will still be thinking about and praying for everyone involved.