PDA

View Full Version : Lingo for Newbies

HollyS
01-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Ok, well I thought I would start a thread to translate the lingo for newbies that you all might see here and around.

LO = layout
DH = Dear Husband
DS = Dear Son
DD = Dear Daughter
NDSR = Not Digital Scrapbook Related
ISO = In Search of

Everyone, please chime in with others you think of :wink:

redring
01-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Mil- Mother-inlaw
Fur baby - A furry pet that is the family baby
biescraptual - Both paper and digital scraping in one LO

Debra
01-13-2007, 04:45 AM
kwim - know what I mean?
imho - In my humble opinion

yin
01-13-2007, 06:42 AM
thanks for starting this thread, I needed it! I confess, I don't always know what you're sometimes refering to. For the longest time, I thot LOL meant lots of love!!:twitcy:

gundimom
01-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Great idea Holly, the problem with abbreviations, is it is so hard (read impossible) to find a list, so unless you ask on every item, you aren't sure if the way you are using it is the same as everyone else. :D Here's a few from me.

BTW=by the way
TFS=Thanks for sharing
TTYL=Talk to you later
WTG=Way to go

ckbymommy
01-13-2007, 07:39 AM
LMK = let me know
JLMK = just let me know
PLMK = please let me know
LOL = laugh out loud
ROFLOL = rolling on the floor laughin out loud
LMBO = laughing my butt off (some also use "H" for head or "A" for a** here) - can also be put with the ROF from above
HTH = hope this helps
ITA = I totally agree
OMG = oh my goodness
WTG = way to go
TY = thank you
YW = your welcome
YMTW = your more than welcome
TFL = thanks for looking
TFS = thanks for sharing
TIA = thanks in advance
KISS = keep it simple, silly
OT = off topic
PM = private message
SB = scrapbook or scrapbooking
DLO = double layout or digi layout
TLO = traditional layout
BG = background
BF = best friend or boy friend
ISO = in search of
*G* = grin
*L* = laugh
*S* = smile

biescraptual - Both paper and digital scraping in one LO
another name for that is a "tradigital LO"
biscraptual also refers to people like me who do both paper and digi scrapping, but not necessarily on the same LO (or a tradigitial scrapper)

DH = Dear Husband
sometimes on DH it is helpful to look at the context, because I often use it to mean DARN hubby as well, LOL.

Just a thought - could we maybe post a sticky link with a list of these so that it is easy to find for newbies? alphabetized?

ckbymommy
01-13-2007, 07:45 AM
For the longest time, I thot LOL meant lots of love!!:twitcy:

It also means that - and sometimes looking at the context on that one doesn't help.

HollyS
01-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks Melanie, yes we can do a sticky with them listed alphabetically! I'll wait til other chime in....although seems like you covered most of them :)

twirlyjoy
01-13-2007, 12:43 PM
My all-time favourite which you may occassionally see me use is

LSHMBAB = laugh so hard my b##bs are bouncing ;)

ckbymommy
01-13-2007, 12:48 PM

:lmao: that one made me LSHMBAB, literally!

twirlyjoy
01-13-2007, 12:51 PM

mine too, when I first heard it!!!

lindajd
02-04-2007, 02:47 AM
These are so Helpful!! Thank you..I had to chuckle reading some of the comments..I love the "biscraptual"...lol....

jabilga
02-04-2007, 09:19 AM
What a good idea to do a list of this.
I need it too!

ginabee
04-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Thx 4 this! I didn't know what ROFL was. My son emails me using these, too, so now I'll be in the loop! My favorite was Twirlyjoy's LSHMBAB!

steph
04-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Oh, my goodness, Melanie, me too!!!! Joy is way too funny for words sometimes!!! You got to love her!!!!

Stephanie:biggrin:

bbhartley
04-11-2007, 05:37 AM
INCREDIBLE! Thanks ladies!!! This has been almost as helpful to me as a newbie (sp?) as tutorials for my PSE3!!! (Actually, maybe more so - *woot )

bdjeepers
05-03-2007, 07:07 AM
thanks for starting this thread, I needed it! I confess, I don't always know what you're sometimes refering to. For the longest time, I thot LOL meant lots of love!!:twitcy:

For a long time, I thought it meant Little Old Ladies! LOL! :five:

babyofmine
05-03-2007, 07:11 AM
How about adding:

IRL = in real life (or, outside of the digi-scrapping world)

This is a great list! I loved the LSHMBAB. priceless.

Lorrainesbarbies
04-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Wow! It's like a whole other language!

Gem
04-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Imagine red face-mine, but I have to ask...
What is RAK?

nachtstern
04-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Imagine red face-mine, but I have to ask...
What is RAK?

I had to google that earlier!
It's a Random Act of Kindness :hi:

Veronica
04-28-2008, 02:17 AM
This is such a great idea!! I still get lost in translation sometimes!!

Gem
04-28-2008, 04:28 AM
Thank you. I've been wondering so long what RAK meant!

PamWhit
04-28-2008, 05:25 AM
The only one I can think of that you haven't mentioned is

gf = girlfriend

Thanks Joy! I need that today. LSHMBAB

amandamoo
05-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Thank you guys so much! I have been feeling really stupid until I read this forum.

nathalie.fauchard
06-07-2008, 03:53 AM
very helpful! thanks and kiss from paris!

britnkaysmemaw2
06-07-2008, 07:35 AM
These are great. Thanks everyone! I love Joy's LSHMBAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MariaJesus
06-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Thank you very much. I'm spanish and it's so difficult to me understand sometimes

scrappin.doodle
07-04-2008, 04:29 PM

That is hilarious!!! haha I'll have to remember that one..:lmao:

christellevandyk
07-04-2008, 10:33 PM
This was an excellent idea! Thanks for helping us out... :idea:

sha
07-29-2008, 04:08 PM

I love this one I am going to have to try and use it somewhere. Thanks for this one.

skrose
09-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Helen has been using OOB (i think)... what does that mean?

mosser77
09-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Helen has been using OOB (i think)... what does that mean?

Out of Bounds - it was a hot topic this week on another thread (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8143)! :)

scrubbie
09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I haven't read through them all - but speakin' for the boys - DW = darling wife. Or - depending on the day, "D" can stand for MANY other things. *snicker.

scrubbie
09-21-2008, 05:14 PM
and, the classic ROTFLTCCOMN = Rolling on the floor laughing till Coke comes out my nose. Often the case at the Scrubbie household. sheesh.

LD = lunatic dog.
WK = whaccko kid
PF = punk friends.

Nah - not really all common acro's on GDS but - well worth knowing should you pop into Scrubbie's pad.

Gem
11-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I might have missed this one as I read through, but what is BFF? I see it all the time.

elenasworld
11-05-2008, 07:24 PM
I might have missed this one as I read through, but what is BFF? I see it all the time.

Best Friends Forever

Gem
11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Thank you! Now I will know what it means.

donakat
01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Please, what is a FLAIR??

elenasworld
01-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Please, what is a FLAIR??

Flair to me are the little button like pieces that look like a glassy or acyrlic piece. If you take a look at my Avatar, that is flair.

I have my layout on the bottom layer and I used the flair button on top to created it.
People use them for Avatars or on their layouts.
In paper scrapping they are like the epoxy /acrylic you would put over your elements to give them some dimension and transparency

lilybean
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
What a helpful topic. I have been asking my DH as I come across them and he really wasn't all that helpful :) Thank you!

donakat
01-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Thank you!

sweetheaven
01-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I am glad you have this forum. There are some I didn't know
thanks

rspoutra
03-21-2009, 05:07 AM
for the lingo help. I never could figure out what ISO was but you can count on me using it now. Robyn

karbi
04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Great thread. I need to print these out and keep them handy.

smauller87
05-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Ok I am not really sure if this would go here but I half to ask.
What is meant by a tagger kit? What is the difference between it and a full?

:D
I also like some of the other terms because I have always wanted to know what they are lol

elenasworld
05-22-2009, 10:23 AM
a tagger size kit is used to make signatures and blinkies and web art. The elements look the same as a "full kit" when you are viewing them online. The difference comes in with the resolution and when you want to print your pages/images.

full size kits are typically made at a resolution of 300 dpi and tagger sizes I think are made at 72dpi (for web images). If you are going to be printing your layouts, you will want the full sized kits

smauller87
05-23-2009, 11:12 AM
a tagger size kit is used to make signatures and blinkies and web art. The elements look the same as a "full kit" when you are viewing them online. The difference comes in with the resolution and when you want to print your pages/images.

full size kits are typically made at a resolution of 300 dpi and tagger sizes I think are made at 72dpi (for web images). If you are going to be printing your layouts, you will want the full sized kits

Thank you that makes a lot of sense. I have seen a lot of tagger downloads and actually have a few and never had look at the dpi of it. You would think that would be the first thing I would look at considering I am trying to obtain my Bachelor's in Multimedia and Animation. I haven't got to play with much yet so that could be the reason LOL. :giggle:

smauller87
05-25-2009, 11:54 AM
ok I am back .....LOL.... What is a brag book? :D

elenasworld
05-25-2009, 01:35 PM
brag book pages are size 4 x 6 inches

smauller87
05-25-2009, 05:52 PM
brag book pages are size 4 x 6 inches

Thanks that's what I thought but I wasn't sure. hehe I have learned a lot in here thanks!!!

maricar_casuga
06-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I learned a lot from this thread! thank you so much !

adriana
06-02-2009, 02:40 AM
This is a great idea !!

Thanks so much !!

Margo3079
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Love this forum. I am new to digi scrapbooking. I also just found the resource center thanks to Holly. It has really helped!:hi:

chbranch
09-13-2009, 05:57 PM
I didn't see the newest one that was driving me nuts so I'll add it (pardon my eyes if it's here already and I missed it).

MWAH Say what? You wouldn't believe some of the things I though of! But I was told it's the sound of a kiss being blown. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me! Maybe it really does mean Mom Washes All House or Me Want A Hotdog! :dontknow:

mosser77
09-13-2009, 07:20 PM
I didn't see the newest one that was driving me nuts so I'll add it (pardon my eyes if it's here already and I missed it).

MWAH Say what? You wouldn't believe some of the things I though of! But I was told it's the sound of a kiss being blown. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me! Maybe it really does mean Mom Washes All House or Me Want A Hotdog! :dontknow:

LOL, this could turn into a new game:
Monkeys Wear Alligator Hats
Men Want Anything Hot
My Watch Always Hops
Mean Women Aren't Helpful
Meats Were A Handful

I better go to bed...:twitcy::confused1::twitcy:

elenasworld
09-13-2009, 07:24 PM
you guys are too funny!

i do believe that it the sound of a kiss, but then again it did take me forever to figure out KWIM!

lotusart
10-08-2009, 11:25 PM
:laugh:i am falling of my chair laughing right now... (FOMCL????)

This thread is so helpfull for me... its hard enough for a dutch to translate everything right when posting on a forum... but not understanding what you sometimes are talking about (new programs...layout sizes...manifacturers...preferences?????? :confused: ) was frustrating...

Now i know that "JLMK = just let me know" instead of a new colorprocedure (like CMYK.... :eek1)

Well i'm off ....studying all the BRB's and BG's and ISO's.... :0)

ps: I am new here... only member for a few weeks but i love it here... you guys (ehrm girlz) are all so nice and i have a great time hangin around here.

twirlyjoy
10-09-2009, 08:25 AM
:laugh:i am falling of my chair laughing right now... (FOMCL????)

This thread is so helpfull for me... its hard enough for a dutch to translate everything right when posting on a forum... but not understanding what you sometimes are talking about (new programs...layout sizes...manifacturers...preferences?????? :confused: ) was frustrating...

Now i know that "JLMK = just let me know" instead of a new colorprocedure (like CMYK.... :eek1)

Well i'm off ....studying all the BRB's and BG's and ISO's.... :0)

ps: I am new here... only member for a few weeks but i love it here... you guys (ehrm girlz) are all so nice and i have a great time hangin around here.

Great to have you here! Glad you like it! If you have any questions about anything at all here at gds, please ask and someone will help you out :)

lotusart
10-10-2009, 02:29 AM
:Dthank you very much!!!

Surfs Up
12-01-2009, 11:48 AM
I am fairly sure that at some point we will have no need for words at all and letters will take over!!! :twitcy::no::head_hurts_kr:

Surfs Up
12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
And after going back to read more posts, I think you all are making up new ones as you go......LMAO......ok.......no more......LOL!!!!

pies in your face from me

~~~[} ~~~~[} ~~~ [}

britaneejean
01-09-2010, 04:29 PM
thank you for posting all those! i've done digital scrapbooking with a special program for the past 3 years and have now decided that i need to face my fears with PSE and just figure it all out. that meant a whole new world with all new lingo! thank you! now i just need to figure it all out, make a signature & figure out how to make/add blinkies. i'm such a tech loser, it's not even funny! :laugh:

kmccann
04-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Hi all! I'm new to digital scrapbooking & I've just purchased some items to work with. I've tried looking through some of the advice pages & tutorials but I have had NO luck getting anything to work right. I don't even know where to begin scrapping digitally :(
Please help!:no::cry:

Andrea
04-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi and welcome! I can probably help a little. What computer program are you using? Photoshop Elements is the most common. Post a reply and I'll see if I can help. :)

Hi all! I'm new to digital scrapbooking & I've just purchased some items to work with. I've tried looking through some of the advice pages & tutorials but I have had NO luck getting anything to work right. I don't even know where to begin scrapping digitally :(
Please help!:no::cry:

kmccann
04-14-2011, 11:00 AM
:hi:PSE 5.0-I'm also trying to learn that as well lol~Thanks!

elenasworld
04-14-2011, 04:57 PM
I was so lost when I first started to digi-scrap.
"Layers" totally confused me and I didn't understand them at all.
Once I figured out how to add elements to the layout and that they were on different layers, I was ready to start scrapping.

Learning the scrapping software is a big part of learning how to digi-scrap.
We have Elements classes here to help.

One of the things that helped me out when I first started was to pick a layout from the gallery that I liked, and then try to duplicate the design. that helped me get used to using my software. Another thing that really helped me too, was scrapping with templates.
Using templates also has a learning curve -- but what it forced me to do was learn how to resize things, rotate things, and clip papers and photos to the different layers on the template. Templates really helped me learn my software.

kmccann
04-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks Elena. Yea, the layers are really confusing me as well as all of the tools. I drag a pic into the workspot in Elements, then try to add something & I'm not sure what happens but it replaces my picture. I try to move things around to see if my pics may be underneath & I just get so lost. Thanks for trying to help though lol. I need someone to "sit" with me & walk me through it, I have a hard time with following written directions. Maybe I'll figure it out by just playing with it? It's frustrating.

Rosebelle
06-11-2011, 03:18 AM
Hi all! I thought I should :bump: this great thread and give you a link to Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/). Here I have learned a lot over the years, when I needed to check on an abbreviation I couldn't understand.

Kallie G
06-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I see that the last post was quite a bit ago, but I'm hoping someone stumbles across my new post.

I'm a newbie and have run across the following acronyms: V3, V4, CU, PU,and S4H. Any suggestions on what they mean? Most recently I saw them next to kits when they are for purchase.

Thanks for any help.

Art for Scrapbooking
06-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Hi Kallie

I can help with some of those.
CU means for commercial use. This means you can use the items in the kit to make commercial products [ so to sell] What it actually means depends on the individual designers TOU [Terms of Use] which you should always read. In the scarpbooking arena it generally means you can use the items to make things for kits you will sell and sometimes to make a small number of craft items]
You can't make them to make a product to then sell as CU. You will sometimes see CU4CU. This means you can make items you then sell for CU.
PU means for personal use. You can use the items in your personal scrapbooking or as in the TOU. You can't sell things made with them or make any money with them.
S4H means scrap for hire. this relates to people who have a business making scrapbook layouts for other people. So if you paid me to make a book for you that is scrap for hire. Some designers allow their prodcuts to be used for that purpose.

V3, V4, I have not heard and can only think of version 3 lol. Hopefully someone else can jump in there.

Just yell if you have any more questions as there is always someone here to help you out.

Sharon

Els AW
06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Great! Hope you don't use them all in one message! LOL!

Els AW
the Netherlands

kdstewart
11-05-2012, 06:02 AM
TY. From a newbie.

cjmmytunes
11-21-2012, 09:16 AM

It did me also. My mom started looking at me right funny and I had to explain it to her.

Ingrid1963
12-07-2012, 09:05 AM
If you put them all together it is quite a long list...
I hope we will not be challenged with an exam :wink:

kjsmoose
03-22-2013, 03:46 PM
thanks, that is a litttle easier.....
:laugh:

jessica art-design
04-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Thank you for all this, this is very helpfull, I often don't understand what some of the short words mean, but now I can see here what some means
(actually....I only knew the words 'LOL' and 'CU' and 'PU')
I've learned a lot here in this topic
(and I think I will come back in this topic more often LOL)

meo
04-26-2014, 04:03 PM
whow a lot to learn thanks