PDA

View Full Version : OMG *update* Docters are STUPID!!!

BobbieB
05-25-2008, 11:40 PM
So Friday Night the Docters tell us that there is more then one strain of Hep C. So they need to test her to see which she has so they know how to deal with it.

So we wait and wait and wait and wait and wait.

Saturday morning they come in and tell us she has no Hep Antibodies in her. Which means According to UAB. Ann doesn't have Hep of any sort. And if they got it right, The Docters @ Vanderbilt in Nashville are screwed.

How the #$@#$@#$#@$@#$@#$@#$@#$@#$ do you misdiagnose Hepititus

My Brother in Law is sooooo pissed off atm he almost drove to Nashville today to kill a docter.

Ann's been FREAKING out for 3 weeks about how she could have made her kids sick or the rest of us sick with something we'd have the rest of our lives because of them Morons.

Bad news about this is they now have no idea what is causing the issues she has the the Cirrosis isn't so until they figure it out she can't get on the transplant list. Tho they started all the test and she talks to a transplant team Tuesday. After which they might let her come home

twirlyjoy
05-26-2008, 02:27 AM
oh no poor you and your family - what a nightmare! As if being sick isn't enough.

Will be praying that things get sorted out real soon :)

Sexy__Eyes
05-26-2008, 04:44 AM
Well no Hep C is good news however...Bobby did you say in a previous post that your SIL has Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency? That will cause cirrhosis also. Plus you mentioned before that someone else in her family has had it and died within 6 months. Alpha 1 is hereditery. You also said she was an alcoholic. That causes cirrhosis also. You might want to mention to the Drs to check her liver enzymes. If they are high she might also have another hereditery liver disease called hemochromatosis. which also causes cirrhosis. My DH has been diagnosed with that many years ago, and it has been managable. His mom had it and died many many years ago from it before they knew much about it.
I really dont think the doctors are stupid but I do see a lack of communication here between the drs and your BIL. Try to read up on Alpha 1 etc and understand more about it. This way you can ask proper questions. Some drs dont explain things the way they should. They think everyone understands medical terminology. The more knowledge you have, the more you can help Ann.

emst
05-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Bobbie it's sad news but even you said in your first post that she is an alcoholic and that is one of the causes of her having Cirrhosis of the Liver.
It's a sad thing for the family but I have to agree with Liz, knowledge of the disease would be helpful for all of you. I know when I was told that I had Graves Disease I was on the computer as soon as I got home from the doctors and read every article on the disease to understand it better and so did my husband and girls. You can google Cirrhosis and get so much information about the disease and it is explained in layman terms so you can understand the disease better. Good Luck to your SIL.

BobbieB
05-26-2008, 02:44 PM
they've done all the test. So far nothing new other then Vanderbilt messed up Twice.

She does not have Hep C like they said she did and nor is her Alpha 1 DEf. Active thank God. Other then the ammonia poisening from her liver not filtering it out and the cirrosis there is nothibg wrong with her apparently. Her vitals and all that for the most part are perfect.

So it's the ammonia posiening kicking her butt now. I talked to her for awhile last night and she sounds drunk!. Which they say is to be expected.

Shemight get to come home tomorrow but the only new news we've gotten is.
For the transplant list she has to be sober 6 months and has to have a year worth of AA meetings first, because the Docter's aren't crazy. They know her cirrosis is alcohol induced.

Bad news is. She can't live that long. I mean she's pushing her luck as it is. The docters told my BIL but not Ann that she only has a 47% chance of surviving the next 90 days. I mean that's not to say she won't not live long enough. Just highly unlikely she will.

Sorry for my spelling. I'm quite blind today without my glasses

babyofmine
05-26-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry you've had such a hard time lately with the doctors! But it is good news that there's no Hep C. :)

edit: you typed before I posted, and I didn't see it. :laugh:

I'm praying for your family. Hang in there. {{hugs}}

sillyleann
05-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Wow, I can really understand your frustration. We went round and round with our newborn daughter and what was causing her problems just after her birth. They still disagree. :) Trust me, doctors aren't stupid. They are just expected to achieve an impossible 100% success rate.

Hang in there! I hope that she gets some much needed answers very soon.*smile