PDA

View Full Version : DISASTER strikes!!!!

schock77
05-18-2008, 07:48 AM
OK, so maybe it's not THAT bad, but... My daughter knocked my laptop over (which is all I use to scrap). I picked it up and turned it on and first felt relief as I hear the windows "welcome" chime, but then look up to find the entire screen is cracked inside! I could only see the top corner of the screen about 2 inches wide (it looks a lot like a page tear actually.)
I copied all of my photos from my hard drive which I hadn't backed up (GO backup your stuff after you read this) onto my EHD, but when I tried to install PSE on my son's laptop, it was SO SLOW that there is no way it will work for scrapping.
So, I'm at MILs picking up the kids and will have to buy a new laptop today- period. I told my husband- The supreme contest layout is due tomorrow morning- I've not started and have no working computer so we ARE getting a new one today.
Anyway, enough ranting... just a momentary freakout from me and a reminder to backup your stuff AND don't let your 3 year old near your computer!

Ina
05-18-2008, 08:14 AM
OH NO! Sorry to hear about the "accident". hope you find a new laptop and that you have time to do your LO in time. Good luck!:)

I will definitely not let Elli anywhere near my laptop. I wouldn't want anything to happen to my "Precious". She appears next to me every time I open it (how does she know I open it because I've turned all sounds off?). So my only time with the lap top is during her nap and then in the evening after she's gone to bed. :)

scrappintwins
05-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes, thay would be a diaster in my book. Although my laptop was only about $500 and hubby's was $2,000 (it has the screen you can draw on like a tablet) we are still very careful with both. The kids know not to touch unless they are supervised lol. James lets them "color" on his, he's a brave man. We do have a server that was my desktop and that's what I used to scrap on so it's kick butt, actually faster than my laptop. And I back up my files to there often. We have 4 external hard drives. My husband was a computer tech, so we get all the geek stuff lol.
Hope you find a new one soon!

Stash Empress
05-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Of course you need to buy a new laptop TODAY!!! LOL ! (Get a really great one!) :wink:

NeldaBelle
05-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Oh, yes, I would consider it a disaster, too! I'm glad you're able to replace your laptop today and I wish you all the best in the supreme contest!

twirlyjoy
05-18-2008, 11:13 AM
oh no - that would be awful! Hope you get yourself a nice new one :)

schock77
05-18-2008, 11:24 AM
OK I'm on my son's laptop (yes he's only 4 but no I'm really glad we got him one) and I need to research laptops so I get a good one. DH works for Dell, but he seems to think I could get just as good a deal on another laptop, so... any suggestions are appreciated (Christy sounds like she's got quite the setup!) :)

britnkaysmemaw2
05-18-2008, 11:34 AM
:goodluck:That classifies as a disaster in my book, lol. I had a small scare last week of my own. My desktop would shut back off as soon as I turned it on. Turned out to be the power strip we have everything connected to, thank god!

Hope you find a new laptop and get your layout done on time.

scrappintwins
05-18-2008, 01:56 PM
I have a Dell Vostro 1000. Kinda plain, just a black case, but who cares, that's what they make skins for lol. I did buy extra ram and had hubby put it in for me. It only holds 2 gigs total. But I got a great deal on it and it works great for me.

rumkimom
05-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Yikes!! That IS a disaster! I lost my desktop computer a little over a year ago and lost 18 months worth of photos (I could not back it us as the CD drive no longer worked) when I was dusting the it fell over while it was on! I LOVE my laptop. :) My brother (a computer goro) says that Dell is wonderful. I ended up getting a Tosheba and really like it. It is satellite capable, so when we go on vacation, I can connect in most hotels. :)

eb2177
05-18-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh No!! That is awful! Well, hopefully you can find a great deal on a wonderful laptop. My little one (almost 2) loves the laptop. It used to live beside the couch, but no more. Now it has to be put up on the kitchen table when not in use. Before I would be sitting at the desk top, and hear a little clicking sound. So I would walk around the chair to see what she was in to, she would have the laptop out and open and pressing the keys, so now it has a safer home. :o)

schock77
05-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks girls... my husband is going to look tomorrow at work for a new desktop. I was able to get PSE 5 on here, it's slow, but better than nothing. Unfortunately, all of my glitter, styles, etc. will have to be reloaded. You also don't realize how much you use ACDSee until you don't have it. I should be able to get those things loaded tomorrow onto my son's laptop, making it EVEn slower... but such is life!
Off to get that supreme layout done (fingers crossed!):goodluck: BTW... fingers should be double crossed- first that I CAN make the layout and second that it may get through to round 3! :wink:

Mom_of_5
05-18-2008, 04:14 PM
That would be a disaster in my book too!! I already learned my lesson about backups the hard way. Now, I use an online backup service AND I use Memeo for constant backup to an EHD. I ALSO burn to dvd's.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a killer new laptop out of this!

WenRob
05-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Ouch, sorry about your computer but glad to hear you'll be able to get a new one.

I was probably 30 seconds away from a similar story last night. I keep my laptop, DSLR and EHD up out of the way on the breakfast bar. I went out into the garage for a few minutes and when I came back in I heard my computer shutting down. There were my two up on the stool, pounding away on the keyboard. I yelled, 'oh no,' and DS slammed the lid down on the computer. I'm not sure what freaked me out more, all my stuff possibly going over or the fear they'd both go tumbling before I could get to them. I was literally shaking. Luckily they and my stuff were alright. (my camera was hanging on the edge, OY!) I had just about been done with a LO but I'm a habitual saver so there was no loss there either. Now, all my barstools are tucked in other rooms!

I have all my pics backed up to two EHD's as well as an old lappy AND disc. My scrap stuff to an EHD. I'd be upset to lose it but devastated to lose my pics.

maz
05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
oh DEAR!!! that IS a total disaster ... i'm waiting for my hp to come back from hospital ... the motherboard died ... I hear your frustration though!!! hope you get a rocking new lappie!!! *hugs*