PDA

View Full Version : windows XP service pack 3 caution

teenybop61
05-15-2008, 01:08 AM
I am sending this to caution you about the new windows XP service pack 3, I downloaded and installed it last night and it caused my computer to not reboot even in safe mode. I had to take the computer to be repaired at Best Buy and have them try to backup my data. When that is done I will have to run a complete system restore and then reinstall everything like paint shop pro and publisher. The technician at geek squad told me that there is a serious problem with the new service pack and competers that have AMD and or are HP brand of which mine is both. To bad they didn't have a warning like that on microsoft.

Sexy__Eyes
05-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the warning.

Debra
05-15-2008, 06:57 AM
thanks for the warning...what a hassle for you to have to go through!! Hope you get back up and running soon!

Stash Empress
05-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks for warning us -- that sure sounds scary!!! I didn't even know there was a SP3 out there already! Is this something that you installed on purpose or was it one of those things the computer does "behind your back"??? I'm always wary of stuff like that!!!! If so, is there some way to avoid it being installed w/o your knowledge? I'm not all that computer savvy & more than a bit intimidated LOL! :confused1:

Veronica
05-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the warning! Hope you get everything restored back to normal again asap!

josey
05-15-2008, 12:49 PM
That sucks. Mine automatically installed itself this morning & rebooted itself too. I've had no problems yet, touch wood. I used to get the option to upgrade myself but Microsoft, as sneaky as it is, put a file on my system that makes these things automatically install. I'm going to email the builder of my clone & ask him if he recommends me deleting this file. I was ticked off when it happened. There was an update I didn't want installed because it gave Microsoft the right to snoop in my hard drive to see if I had a legal copy of Windows XP, which I do. It's downright scary that they are allowed to do this.
I haven't updated my PSP because one version has the same type of snoopware in it. I read that I believe on a technical forum.

I do have the info on this file. I saved it but I might look it up & un-install these automatic updates until I can find out more about them. I wished I'd bought an Apple now.

*:no*:no*:no

kathyinaz
05-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I installed it yesterday - no problems, yet. I have been having a glitch with tabs in Internet explorer, but that started before I did the service pack.
I hate it whenever they want to update or a "new version" is available - seems like it does nothing but cause problems!
Hope you get everything straightened out.