PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Newbies?

Debra
01-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Hi! I'm just wondering who here is new to digi-scrapping? Anyone?

And by new I mean 3 months or less *biggrin *biggrin

steph
01-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Sorry... but I've been doing this for just a little over a year... so I guess I'm not really a newbie anymore!!! :)

Steph

DottyR57
01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi! I'm just wondering who here is new to digi-scrapping? Anyone?

And by new I mean 3 months or less *biggrin *biggrin

I guess you already know I'm new! But, if you want a head count - thought I'd say..., I mean, type something.

ScrapGrl
01-10-2007, 06:29 PM
ME! Just started and just joined here... *biggrin

scraptigz
01-10-2007, 06:54 PM
me-started digi-scrappin about 2 months ago maybe?

griest
01-10-2007, 06:54 PM
I just started digital scrappin about 2-3 months ago. I have never posted any layouts (except for the supreme team layout, but have participated in a few recipe card swaps for practice! I am loving the digital side of scrappin, and have been a paper scrapper for several years. I still have a lot to learn but find the digital scrap community a wealth of information that they are more than willing to pass on to me. Thanks to all!

griest

twirlyjoy
01-10-2007, 11:12 PM
yeay!! Great to see so many newbies here :)

babydoe
01-11-2007, 04:01 AM
I've been doing digiscrapping since about mid-September, so I guess by your definition I am not a "newbie" any longer. Yay! *biggrin

mamashawnato5
01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I have been making basic Layouts since my daughter was a couple of month old but after looking at some layouts I have a lot to learn. I really like how you can add so many elements together to make it look great. I have never done any scrapbooking at all before that time. Where do I begin?

okblues
01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Great to have all of you here & I hope you're not as addicted to digi as I am, lol.

TaraP
01-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I have been making basic Layouts since my daughter was a couple of month old but after looking at some layouts I have a lot to learn. I really like how you can add so many elements together to make it look great. I have never done any scrapbooking at all before that time. Where do I begin?

Adding tons of elements is one of my favorite things to do. I've been so busy designing lately that I haven't scrapped, *worried I worry that once I open a layout to work on I will have lost my mojo! LOL. Love having all the newbies here, hope to see layouts of yours and mine *biggrin in the gallery soon.

:hi: Tara

scraptigz
01-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Great to have all of you here & I hope you're not as addicted to digi as I am, lol.

I LOVE (rather than hate) to say I am just that - Addicted! My DH is teasing me constantly. I believe I am at 45 digi lo's since right around the beginning of November. lol

ella6599
01-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Me! I just started digiscrapping in November, when I was putting together a calendar for the grandparents :) I've been a paper scrapper for about 8 years, though.

steph
01-12-2007, 12:37 PM
We are glad that you have come to join us Ella!!! And scraptigz... forty five is an awesome amount of layouts to have done since November... I only got two hundred and sixty done for all of last year... I think I need to spend more time digi scrapping...LOL

Debra
01-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks so much for all your reply's.. It's good to know who's at what level here and please everyone feel free to holler out with any questions, we all LOVE to help! And with this craft... we are all learning something new all the time! :)

scraptigz
01-12-2007, 07:45 PM
the learning all the time is so true... i know only just a little bit of how to use the ps proggy i use and need to learn so much more.

Debra
01-13-2007, 04:44 AM
There is so much to learn with PS and then of course they keep upgrading and making new versions... it's hard to keep up!

gundimom
01-13-2007, 06:52 AM
I have been doing digi since September, so guess that make me an "oldie"? :twitcy: I paper scrapped for 10 years before that though and still do both. In 2006, I did 325 pages and about a third of them were digi.

yin
01-13-2007, 07:02 AM
one thing's for sure, young or old (at digiscrapping), we're all seriously hooked!!

Debra is right about it being an ongoing learning art, i get so excited every other day when i discover a new technique!

PS is fantastic and full of things to discover, i was digiscrapping on PS 5 for a year, and then got PS CS2 as my birthday present last August, which resulted in my fascinating journey to designing! What a hobby!

So happy to meet everyone here, love to see your layouts, i do so want to spend more time enjoying the art in our gallery!

scooter59
01-13-2007, 07:45 AM
I have only done three layouts in PSE 5.0 so far. Can anyone walk me through how to use a template. I see all these free templates but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use them and I can't find a tutorial?

Thanks

Scooter:wub1:

ckbymommy
01-13-2007, 08:01 AM
I have only done three layouts in PSE 5.0 so far. Can anyone walk me through how to use a template.

check here: How to use a Layered Template in PS or PSE (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680)

edited to removed my notes and add the link to the 'how-to' on this

Hollyann
01-20-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm gonna count myself as new since I have only done a few layouts digitally, it's just taken me a year to do it!

I have a question about posting in the gallery - I see that it is good manners to credit everything you use. I think most of the layouts I have done are pretty much totally designed by me, but if it's not, and I didn't keep track of where I got stuff, what do I do? Should I not post it? How do you all keep track of what comes from where and who? When paper scrapping I totally didn't even worry about it unless I was planning to submit somewhere, and figured this would be pretty much the same, but I guess not!

Thanks for the instructions on the templates, too, that's handy!

ckbymommy
01-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Holly, its all in the organization. Here's how I do mine (but I'm sure everyone has their own way)

I have a folder in my computer that is called "Digi", and it is filled with subfolders for each of the digi websites I frequent. Everytime I download a new kit - whether it's a freebie or a paid kit, it goes into the subfolder for that website. As soon as I unzip the download I rename the folder for that download as "kit name - designer name - website", for instance, today's freebie here at GDS would be renamed "Let it Snow! - Debra Anderson - godigitalscrapbooking.com".

Now, when I go to use that kit I will use the file info feature of photoshop cs and put that in the notes section along with the name of the LO and any fonts used. Some also use a word processing file to keep the info.

I would love to find a photo filing system that I could file me LO's in that would keep that info for me, anyone know of one?

Also, it's more than just good manners to credit the designer. Many gallerys require it and will remove LO's that don't have that info, and if you created the paper or an element you even need to say "elements created by me". If you can't remember where you got something, you can post in the gallery and ask in the description if anyone knows - hopefully someone does, but if you can't find out you may be required to take the LO down.

HTH

Hollyann
01-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, we shall see if I bother posting anything, that seems like an awful lot of work to me. I understand the reasoning, and I think that all the talented designers deserve some kudos for their work, I just am totally lazy! :) But let's assume I get motivated to get all organized and know where everything is from, couldn't I make a layer on each of my layouts that has all the info in it, and just send it to the back so it's not visible? That way all the info for that layout is actually a part of that layout, right? Of course I would have to open that file to see it though. Are there programmers here at GDS? We have found a need!

TaraP
01-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Well, we shall see if I bother posting anything, that seems like an awful lot of work to me. I understand the reasoning, and I think that all the talented designers deserve some kudos for their work, I just am totally lazy! :) But let's assume I get motivated to get all organized and know where everything is from, couldn't I make a layer on each of my layouts that has all the info in it, and just send it to the back so it's not visible? That way all the info for that layout is actually a part of that layout, right? Of course I would have to open that file to see it though. Are there programmers here at GDS? We have found a need!

It may seem like a lot of work at first but when you get used to downloading something and immediately making sure the file name included the name of the designer, it's pretty easy. IF there's an element or a paper that you've used and you don't know where it came from, I would simply state that in your description of the layout and apologize for not remembering the designer but thanking then for the use of their product and like previously stated two replies above ask people to leave you a comment if they know who the item was created by.

I thought this was all a daunting task when I first started digi-scrapping but it really is quite easy when you get used to it and now that I am designing I understand the importance of it. If you have any other questions you can PM and of the designers. We'd be glad to help!

Tara

scraptigz
01-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Tara,

I started doing just that recently, after exhausting myself digging through the gagillion contact sheets I have to get the designers name it dawned one me why not just put the name on the actual file/element/paper. It's saved me so much time! Seems like a lot of work at first but in the end it's easier to see the designers name with the the element/paper you're using then trying to go back and find it. I wish I'd of done this from the beginning, though, I have some elements and papers I don't remember the designer so I can't give the credit. Not to long ago someone had left a comment on one of my lo's where I'd put 'unknown' for the designer and she gave me the designers name, that was really appreciated.

TaraP
01-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I've had to put unknown a few times and the designers understand that it's an enormous task to rename files,, especially those of us that started digi-scrapping a yr. ago or more,, cause back then not all designers used their names when saving files.

When I first bought my EHD three months ago I moved all my digiscrap files to it and sat and checked every digi-scrap file and organized them all. It took three days of practically non-stop organization but it was WELL worth it.

Tara

KellsBells
01-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I seperate papers and elements ... just my way of doing things but for each kit I have a seperate file. So I have an elements file and in that I have, for example, SP - Shabby Fall, so that I know who to credit for the LO! I have the same for the alphas etc ... When I first started I downloaded lots of stuff and I have no idea who to give credit to ... I dont use much of that stuff anymore. I also make a lot of my own stuff ... I am working on my first kit at the moment but I think I might just give up on that ... everyone else's seem so much more refined than mine does LOL!

I guess I should also add that I am not really a newbie ... I have been digiscrapping since Asha was born (June 04) and have NEVER been a paper scrapper! My LOs have changed a lot and of course I am still learning!

I was thinking about setting up my own home business doing greating cards etc but I dont know that I am quite up to that just yet!

Cheers

Hollyann
01-20-2007, 06:02 PM
See, that's the thing, I have tons of stuff already, and it's not even pleasant to think about going back and figuring out where it all came from. I do get on organization missions from time to time though, guess I will just make that my next one, and be diligent about organizing the new stuff right. Thanks for the help, everyone!

quiltdeb
01-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi, I'm a brand new scrapbooker. My son got married last July and my new grandbaby arrived in October and I decided it was time I learn to scrapbook. I was so excited to discover digital scrapbooking. I'm hoping to find other digital scrappers in the Houston, TX area.

twirlyjoy
01-20-2007, 10:37 PM
What better reasons to start scrapping than a wedding and a birth!! Great to meet you and look forward to seeing your LOs :)

lindajd
01-31-2007, 06:01 AM
I am a complette novice to scrapping, although I have been very interested in it fr a long time, I love to see all the beautiful pages by the talented people out there and long to be able to create something of my own one day..

ronaleeinmontana
01-31-2007, 06:33 AM
I am just now discovering digi-scrapbooking. I am working on my first layout.

okekeca
01-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Around 3 months I should say.
Not many LO:s yet. Im just too picky with choosing the right picture and the right paper and the right element and the right.....well you got it....:lmao:
Will post some LO:s right away.....hmmmm, how will I do THAT??
Have to go and figure it out so it can take a while.....:wink:

steadfast
09-07-2007, 08:37 AM
I am new :) I first heard of digi-scrapping in mid-Julyish

Debra
09-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Glad you found us! Isnt this a fun obsession?!!

ktmckinley
09-07-2007, 08:52 AM
I discovered digital scrapbooking towards the end of July and I stumbled upon GDS last week:party: and I'm very excited to be part of such an amazing community

amysum1
09-08-2007, 05:55 AM

That's when I figured out what it was too, mid July! I bought a digital scrapbooking magazine, thinking it was a just a "normal" scrapbooking magazine and even after reading it cover to cover, I still didn't get that it wasn't. :confused1: I thought the "digital" referred to taking the photos with a digital camera. Boy I am thick, it sure takes me a while to get things sometimes!

I had to google "digital scrapbooking" to figure out what it was have been absolutely hooked since! That's also how I found this site and I LOVE, LOVE , LOVE GDS, the store, the talented designers, the talented members and their layouts, it's just awesome!:vb_chirolp_iei:

So welcome, we can learn and progress together!*woot

thumper6423
09-12-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm new too. Been at this about 2-3 months now. I started by gettign into photography, then by getting addicted to playing with photos in photoshop, then I progressed on to making cards and templates for my photos and here I am LOL. I lvoe that with 2 small kids, there's no mess laying around. I can jsut walk away from the computer screen in mid-layout if I have to and it'll be there when I come back.

inge
09-12-2007, 02:37 AM

You don't need to make an new layer. Photoshop has an option where you can store all the info with the file (saving in jpeg makes it disappear). With the tools there is a little notebook. When that is selected you can draw a selection in the folder where you can store your credits.

Lins
09-12-2007, 05:00 AM
i am new:rolleyes1::sad44: only started about 2 months ago!