PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Kit

digiscrapdee
05-08-2008, 05:55 AM
I'd love to start creating kits and in fact have already started creating papers, but I'm wondering what to add. What and generally how much goes into a kit? What is your thought process when designing elements for a kit? What does a standard kit have? Is there even a standard?

So many questions swimming around in my brain...

Veronica
05-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I know just how you feel! I started fumbling around in the dark with regards designing almost a year ago and I knew absolutely nothing! I continue to learn something new each and everyday!

What I did is checked out a few stores and guaged for myself how many elements, papers etc. the kits have in general. I noticed some are larger than others.

Personally, I think a good selection of elements in a kit is always nice. I don't have a set thought process when designing - but hey, I'm still only learning!

All I can say is have fun designing! I absolutely love it and have finally found my little creative 'niche' - I only wish I had discovered this sooner!

travel124
05-08-2008, 04:11 PM
I stumbled across digital by accident about 3 years ago. I love it and wanted to learn more. I read tutorials anywhere I could on the web, read, read and read some more.

As far as a kit, there are no set rules. These are just my guidelines others may have their own to follow.

I usually create:

15 elements or less and 6 papers and less is a mini kit.

15 to 40 elements / 8-15 papers Reg Kit

more than 40 elements and 15 papers is a Mega Kit.

Element inspiration for me comes from pictures of a scene, lots of scrapbooking magazines, browsing through galleries to see what other's create and sometimes just day dreaming something will come to mind. Media Mail, flyers, anything with graphics gives me ideas and the thought - Can I make an element with that?

I usually try to add in a Reg Kit

Tags
Journaling paper
Ribbons
Frames
various brads
flowers
beads
borders
corner pieces

you can also add word art

I like to make unusual elements too like little trinkets. There is probably more that I have not added but that is all I could think of for now.

Hope this helps you.

~Lori

digiscrapdee
05-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow Lori, that is a huge help! Now I've got an idea where to start. Thanks!

travel124
05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
oh your welcome, good luck and have fun creating!

Luxury
05-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Great tips and hints, thanks!

ndimich
05-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Just read this message and was wondering if there was
a place that have Tutorials on making the different thing
that are in a kit...I use PSE6. Thanks

Veronica
05-23-2008, 06:57 AM
You're already in the right place!! Have a look in the store under classes - Andrea Gold teaches Photoshop and you learn oodles from her. Not sure too much what's in the PSE class, but I'm busy completing the PS Cs3 Advanced class now, and I have learnt so much! Send Andrea a PM for more details!

Just read this message and was wondering if there was
a place that have Tutorials on making the different thing
that are in a kit...I use PSE6. Thanks

digiscrapdee
05-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Quick question for those that took any of Andrea's classes. Do you get worksheets or anything to keep after the class? Cuz I know I'd forget so much. LOL

Veronica
05-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Quick question for those that took any of Andrea's classes. Do you get worksheets or anything to keep after the class? Cuz I know I'd forget so much. LOL

Yes you do. You receive a tutorial in PDF format (some are well over 10 pages!) with screenshots & working files too -loads of detail! So what I've done is printed them out and I constantly refer back when I forget something! Really worthwhile!!

digiscrapdee
05-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Wow, that's awesome. I think as soon as we get moved, I'll be joining her classes.

digitals
05-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Dee,

I'm currently in Andrea's Intermediate class and have learned SO much! The tutorials are easy to follow. You get your tutorial file -- it covers more than one function/technique, then the homework...and a sheet to take notes on. I print mine out and have put all of them in a notebook. I too forget very easily. In fact -- I just had to review something we learned in the beginning class to complete something in last weeks homework for the intermediate class.

sheri

GardenGirl05
05-29-2008, 03:49 PM
I have been using photoshop for quite a while (self-taught - ugh) and am already designing my own kits, but I would really like to take a class to learn better or new techniques. Should I start with the beginner class or would I just be learning what I already know? Would the intermediate class be overwhelming without it? Those who have taken the classes, what do you think?

TIA!

digitals
05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Larisa,

You may want to email Andrea Gold here (Goldscraps) on the board and she can help you determine which class would be the most beneficial for you.

PS is so totally addicting!

sheri

Veronica
05-29-2008, 10:29 PM
I have been using photoshop for quite a while (self-taught - ugh) and am already designing my own kits, but I would really like to take a class to learn better or new techniques. Should I start with the beginner class or would I just be learning what I already know? Would the intermediate class be overwhelming without it? Those who have taken the classes, what do you think?

TIA!

I agree- ask Andrea - you can go to her Intermediate class HERE (http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=64&products_id=905) and there is a link where you can click on "ask a question" to ask her her opinion. She will soon tell you where to start. I sailed thru the beginners class as I had taught myself PS Elements, and although fundamentally the two are similar, I learnt many tips and quick ways of doing things - so very glad I started at the beginning! I'm about to start her new class next month for CS3 tips and extra bits- can't wait!

GardenGirl05
05-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Thanks!

Magik
06-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Great post and info in regards to the classes and kits! Thanks for sharing!

Lihualee
09-29-2008, 11:57 AM
bump!

bozena
09-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I often wonder how do you extract the flowers from the pictures to get them look so real and to get perfectly clean edges? I have a lot of pictures of flowers from my garden and would like to use them in my LO. I'm PSE 6.0 user and wondering if I could do that.