PDA

View Full Version : You've never seen kids move so fast!

Andrea
04-06-2008, 10:45 AM
I have to say that I've been frustrated lately with not feeling well and having kids that don't pick up after themselves! I just can't keep up with it so I've been trying to find creative ways of motivating them to clean up their messes. So, my husband had this idea to let them set up a tent in the family room. Well, they helped in the yard and cleaned up the house in record time! So, does anyone else have any motivating ideas???

(The tent in my family room...)
http://www.godigitalscrapbooking.com/photopost/data/514/20080405_copy_sm.jpg

scrappintwins
04-06-2008, 10:50 AM
That's a good one Andrea! Mine are only 2 1/2 so cleaning is not thier strong point lol....
But they did watch an episode of Little Bill where they played a clean up game and the kids actually will do it sometimes. You pick up an item, say a sock, and say "sock sock zupity zock" then you put it where it belongs and say "one two zupity zoo". It's silly but if it half way works I'm in lol......:wink:

anitastreet
04-06-2008, 11:02 AM
great idea with the tent.. yeah, I find if there is a reward, like your tent idea, or a biggie like ChuckECheese or something I can get them to clean up..but it's like pulling teeth any other time.. Lizzie, 5, sits in her room and mopes and cries..."cleaning isn't fun" yet she has no problem destroying her room....it's easy enough to clean.. I have open bins for her toys but she dumps them all.. I don't let her bring more then one thing at a time out in the living area though.. I had the living room (we just have one living area..big country kitchen open to the living area...anyway, I had cleaned it spotless and her fist thought was.. "oh, I can bring all my ponies and castle out here" I told her no way.. you aren't trashing the living room too!

Katie is better and always has been but she needs instruction with every step...when do they get independent with picking up by themselves? oh, and don't get me started on the kid's bathroom!!!

emst
04-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I saw your layout earlier Andrea and thought that it was a great way to get them to clean up the room. I think Todd and Michelle have a gold mine in bins for Madeline. The rule at their house is that before she goes to bed all her toys have to be picked up and if she doesn't she's been told that anything not picked up will be thrown away, no toys thrown as of yet, she takes them at their word, don't think it will work when she's older though, just a kid thing.

schock77
04-06-2008, 11:20 AM
That's a smart idea! Kids cleaning up after themselves seems to be a constant battle around here too. :) Love the layout!

Debra
04-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I agree Andrea, incentive based seems to be the best way to get things done... I'm sure it's very difficult for you not feeling well to be diligent on keeping track of what they drag out to play with and it sure doesn't take long before they can have the entire house a disaster... Hannah can do it with just herself..I cannot imagine what 3 or 4 of them together could do!

The only compromise that I found as they got much older was that they had to clean up after themselves or they were not allowed to have thier freedom to do the things they liked to do. I remember saying things like, "Have you done the vaccuuming?".. "no, then get it done before you go to so & so's". That one always worked....

Oh, and mostly I kept the doors to their bedrooms closed so I wouldn't see "the nightmare" as I walked by... I'm a great believer in what I can't see can't hurt me!

Funny how they would finally get to the point of cleaning their own rooms because they couldn't stand it anymore...Kristin still does this all of the time... too funny!

ThoughtfilledMe
04-06-2008, 01:56 PM
I love the page and the idea Andrea. For my son, he has certain privilages (computer, nintendo, tv) that he doesn't get or that get cut short if he doesn't do what he needs to do. Right now, school is such a problem (he is just getting mainstreamed) that his major job is just to have good days at school, but he does have chores that also have to be done.

ScrapShana
04-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Since mine are teenagers, it's easier to bribe them. They want to go and go and go and go, so when they ask, my answer is always, "Sure, but not until after you've cleaned up ___." They are so used to it, that they will often clean up and THEN ask. So, when I see them cleaning, I know something is up!

Another motivator...MONEY. Yes, I am guilty of paying the kids to do chores. Not for every one, just the extras I don't want to do. LOL Luckily, they're happy to do the extra work for a little extra dough for snacks after school! Hehe

WenRob
04-06-2008, 02:16 PM
LOL, Shana! I will trade Tiana emptying the dishwasher if she'll bath the little ones. She says yes almost every time. I have the hardest time getting her to pick up so I use if she wants to go somewhere/have someone over quite often. Otherwise I just don't look!
The babes are only just over two so they're more experts in creating messes then cleaning them up but William loves to help pick up things and put them away. So if we're doing a 'sweep,' he'll automatically help and of course Breelyn has to do what he does so the toys (most of them anyway) get picked up. But it's a group effort!

Andrea
04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for some great ideas! I wish there were a manual for this parenting stuff! :laugh:

twirlyjoy
04-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Mine are pretty good at clearing up most of the time. But, the thing that really bugs me when I ask them to pick something up is that I get "But it's not mine"!! So, my reply to that is to tell them that I will do MY washing, MY cooking, etc! They soon see my point!

Debra
04-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Mine are pretty good at clearing up most of the time. But, the thing that really bugs me when I ask them to pick something up is that I get "But it's not mine"!! So, my reply to that is to tell them that I will do MY washing, MY cooking, etc! They soon see my point!

LOL...so true!:twitcy: