PDA

View Full Version : What do you just HAVE to have?

ScrapShana
04-04-2008, 09:13 PM
When you're looking for a kit to buy, what is the ONE thing you look for the most? Is it an alpha? ribbons? frames? journal boxes? tags? flowers? swirls or doodles? what?

I've already picked a random number, and the person who places this post number will receive a free kit from my store!

Winner will be chosen Wednesday, April 9th. :biggrin:

ozchicki
04-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Mine is a toss up between doodles/swirls and stitching!!!! I LOVE both!

WenRob
04-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Hardware! Lately that's my thing, chains, hooks, hangers. And alpha,oy, I've become an addict, I've been collecting it. I always appreciate when a kit includes alpha. Good frames (and more then one) in different sizes w/their embellishments separate.

Ooops, just realized you said ONE thing...ummn, from the above Frames.

shavari
04-04-2008, 11:38 PM
my list in order is:

1. gems - but not gaudy ones, pretty, subtle and delicate. Ones you can put together to make larger gems or brooches.
2. flowers (preferably ones that go with the gems)
3. a variety of different elements, not just the same element recoloured
4. awesomely colour co-ordinated papers .. and I mean papers which have triads, complimentary colours, colours that shouldnt go together but absolutely do (ie. aubergine, bright orange and lime shouldnt go together, but absolutely POP when used in the rule of 3rds method)

LOL .. so the ONE thing I have to have .. mmm .. I think I have to choose borders (I know .. not on my list above :lmao: ) .. laces, straights, ribbons, swirls, lattices, overlays .. borders are SO versatile for anything!

twirlyjoy
04-05-2008, 01:55 AM
hhhhhm, just one thing, that's tough! I guess unique elements - something a bit different to what other kits have! Prolly not very helpful, but a bit of originality is very important for me.

PamWhit
04-05-2008, 04:49 AM
Shana, what a great question. To choose only one, I'd have to go with flowers. Flowers are so spring and summer.

emst
04-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Great question Shana and I guess I agree with Pam, I love flowers and flowers add to a layout. I guess ribbons and stitching would be next. I don't like when I buy a kit and the same papers and elements are in it that are in another two or three kits that I already have and they've only been recolored. I don't mind if it's one or two things but when you see a number of things that are the same I feel cheated, that's just me.

tweederbug
04-05-2008, 05:59 AM
I look for frames first. Not sure really why but I do. Then I look for ribbons and the amount of elements that you could be used for different types of pages not just a certain type. I like kits that can be versatile when it comes to making a boy or girl page. I have a boy and girl so this makes it easy for me.

Charlie'sMomma
04-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Might seem very basic, but the first thing I look at in a kit is the papers. I really like textured papers. I just love papers that look like they are fabric. I like to have a lot of papers to choose from and to mix and match in a kit. So along with the great textured solids, I like some interesting prints/designs.

ThoughtfilledMe
04-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Mine isn't really a specific thing, but I look to see if there is different elements in the kit. Not only one flower and one ribbon each in several different colors. I want variety in the kit so I can do a variety of pages. Also, I love papers so I'd say interesting papers.

WenRob
04-05-2008, 07:23 AM
I don't like when I buy a kit and the same papers and elements are in it that are in another two or three kits that I already have and they've only been recolored. I don't mind if it's one or two things but when you see a number of things that are the same I feel cheated, that's just me.
Agreed 100%! Nothing worse then spending money on something you could have done yourself.:no:

HollyS
04-05-2008, 08:07 AM
For me it's always fasteners and boyish elements. 80% of the scrapping I do is geared toward my boys these days.

charliesnana
04-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I look at paper textures and patterns first and then for elements that can be used on boy pages.

Jazzys Mom
04-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Unique elements first, then big flowers (daisies, mums, etc), unique ribbons and of course unique color combinations

Jazzys Mom

Helen
04-05-2008, 10:53 AM
One thing - wow - that's hard!

I'd have to say.....hmmmm.......unique elements. I will buy a kit just to get that one special unique element!

As for the rest - I look at colors, papers, frames, books...stuff that can be used in a variety of ways.

Rae's World
04-05-2008, 10:59 AM
I look for color. What kind of mood am I in and what colors stand out. There isn't any specific color, just what ever grab my eye.

HisKid
04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
one thing ... that's hard. I think I would have to say plants/greenery/flowers. I also like unusual elements.

nancyrwa
04-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I look for the flowers and the swirls as well as the "different" elements. Each designer should have some set of "signature" elements that would normally be in the kit, but coming up with that something new and different makes it fun to open the package.

anitastreet
04-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I like swirls and doodles...
and frames..not too bulky.. and overlays
I love elements with depth..realistic flowers..ribbons(longer for angles if wanted)
I love stitching
I love variety...and metalic things that I can used in multiple layouts.. I love it when I know I can use the elements in other layouts or that they coordinate with other kits (but are still unique.. I love a kit that is versatile...

I love kits with lots of different options...the bigger and more varied the kit the more likely I am to buy it...

TSavoie11
04-06-2008, 07:30 PM
I've been thinking about this question for a while now and the one thing I have to have in a kit is something to attach the embellishments! I like my pages to look like I paper scrapped (most of the time) so I need staples, eyelets, stitches, tape...all that good stuff! And if there's a fastener that is different from all the other kits that's even better! So, that's my final answer, Regis!

OneMemory
04-06-2008, 08:00 PM
So I have to DISAGREE with the same item in different color thing... I LOVE when you have every item recolored to match. It saves me time and some digiscrappers don't use programs that recolor things very well. BUT I don't want that to be the fill of the kit either. I like fun unique embellies as well.

WenRob
04-06-2008, 08:12 PM
I think what was meant was the same thing that is in another kit recolored. So basically, it's the same as a previous kit just a different color.

babyofmine
04-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I have actually challenged myself to buy something that I wouldn't "normally" buy. I have boys, and I'm something of a tom-boy myself, but I have enough "boy" kits for now. So, I just look for something I would normally pass by. :)

eb2177
04-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I have to agree with Leslie and Shari, I love papers. I like seeing different patterns and textures. I think it may be because I tend to keep my layouts simple. I think next on my list would be swirls/doodles or stitching. Can't pick just one thing. :o)

anitastreet
04-06-2008, 11:11 PM
I should have said the colors should have been appealing first off.. if I don't like the colors to start with I won't look much further.. I like bold colors... but sometimes I like soft colors too.. it just depends on my moods.. I tend to like pinks.. but not too much pink.. I like pink with brown.. I love brown lately with pinks and blues.. and I love black and white with blues and greens..

also all those boy kits out there are great.. but don't limit them to just boys.. toss in a few elements/word art that make the girl friendly too....

I tend to stay away from season specific kits...with the exception of Christmas or freebies....like I said in my previous post, I like a kit that's versatile.. I want to be able to use it for different layouts..not be limit to just an Easter layout or just a Halloween page....KWIM?

Veronica
04-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I would say I love kits that are really versatile- that can be used for many themes - and of course new, unusual embellishments too!

Lorrainesbarbies
04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I just love ribbons & overlays. I like the overlays that add sparkle to my layout.

Maisie
04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
First thing that grabs my eye is the colors.
I have to love the colors of a kit, first.

sparkles
04-07-2008, 06:09 PM
this is a tough question. I look for great colors and textures over all. The more realistic the embellishments the better.

mskline
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
My SIL pointed out that I am really into swirls...and I do have to admit that they DO catch my eye in a kit!! :wink1: But over all, I really look for the REALISM of the elements and paper textures.

superbree
04-08-2008, 12:53 PM
I am a sucker for realistic flowers! I don't know why but I just love them. Then I also agree, that kits needs to have some "attachment" items. I also look at my page like a paper one and say to myself, "how is that going to stay on when I lift it up", so yes, the more tape, staples, stitches, brads, the more likely I am to put it in my cart!